DIY Carbon lever hoods for Dura Ace 9000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Arfer01

by Arfer01

Looking at making my own hoods for my Dura Ace 9000 levers. Initially to drop weight but the lever shape without the bulky hood fits me betterit seems. I have seen there have been similar topics on here with some wrapped in Felt or carbon fabric impreged with rubber. But i want to now make my own very similar to peter43z's BTP hoods in the first link with a very factory finish. I am wanting the hoods to of cource be as light as possible but still moderatly useable.

Stock hoods weigh 40g for the pair. BTP's are approx 25g for the pair so similar to that.

download/file.php?id=53428&mode=view

I am thinking it would be a similar process to the below link.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=102208

I have been looking at 3K cloth with the idea of impregnating it with a type of silicone that will be compliant enough to wrap around the lever or even have enough flex to fit around the lever to be affixed at the bottom with velcro or glue and hard wearing enough to be moderatly used.

Any ideas or reccomendations for an approbriate compound to preg the carbon with would be appreciated. Thanks.

FreaK

by FreaK

I'm interested to see what you come up with, i've been having similar ideas.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

continuum

by continuum

hows the grip compare to the normal hood?

Arfer01

by Arfer01

continuum wrote:hows the grip compare to the normal hood?

its slimmer, it sits halfway between a di2 lever and the mechanical lever which suits me. I am hopeing to make the hood not too think so to keep the same shape. I have emailed B-T-P about them making one but have had no responce as of yet.