Which Aero Bike Would You Choose?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aero Bike

S-Works Venge Vias
6%
Pinarello Dogma F8
11%
Trek Madone 9 Series
16%
Scott Foil
6%
BMC Timemachine
4%
Canyon Aeroad
28%
Argon Nitrogen
2%
Cervelo S5
15%
Colnago V1-r
2%
Other
10%

Total votes: 265

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Cannondale Evo :)

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Just cast a vote for other!

Would be the Sarto Lampo for me - Handmade in Italy :)
Probably have a Fernweg rear, Meilenstein front, but might be talked into a Bora Ultra 80/50 setup
SR EPS obviously and me new fave item - a Selle SMP carbon saddle!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Another for the Sarto Lampo

That thing is just gorgeous!!

:no1:
Official cafe stop tester

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

jekyll man

this is the sort of thing I had in mind! (although probably not the McLaren F1 colour scheme and EPS instead of mechanical ;) )
Attachments
sarto 2016 lampo silver orange.jpg

joepac

by joepac

On paper I think the best aero bikes would be the F8, Aeroroad, S5, AR FRD, Vias, and Madone. I voted F8 because I have a feeling it would ride and handle well with great comfort all with an aero advantage. The AR FRD and Aeroroad are both relatively light and very aero, and I like that the Aeroroad does not have chainstay mounted brake. The S5 looks awesome and is very aero, but I wonder about the comfort level. The Vias is arguably the most aero bike ( specialized claims it is as aero as the shiv; we will have to wait for 3rd party tests to confirm if it really is that much more aero than the other bikes) but it is heavier and there are some doubts about braking performance. The F8, Aeroroad, and AR FRD seem like the best of all worlds with relatively low weight, fewer proprietary parts, and near the top of the non-integrated aero category. If the new Foil is actually aero and more comfortable it can go here too since it is light (I am reserved with it, we will see how it tests).

The Madone is also light and has a lot of comfort with the seat post, but the vector wings and kamm tails make it lose points with me. It is arguably just as integrated as the vias, but it can't even beat the S5/AR at low yaw angles (most important during sprints!) because Trek refuses to develop a more aero shape. What is the point of all of that expensive integrated stuff if the bike is only more aero at high yaw angles? The comfort is the only reason it makes my list, but it is last for me.

dalex

by dalex

I already voted with my wallet for the Canyon Aeroad CF SLX :)

Ginsterdrz

by Ginsterdrz

Canyon Aeroad here too. You won't be disappointed. Bargain compared to the others. The bars are worth it alone-supercool!

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

An other vote for the Ridley Noah SL. Best bike I've ever had. (And I have had 30+)

IchDien

by IchDien

Odd how the f8 is in the list but the cervelo r5 isn't?

joepac

by joepac

IchDien wrote:Odd how the f8 is in the list but the cervelo r5 isn't?

This is trolling, right? :noidea: :roll:

The F8 is approximately same aero benefit as the Propel, old Venge, S3, S5, Madone, AR, TMR, Aeroroad, etc.
The R5 is not. The r5, new supersix, and canyon ultimate are more aero than "normal" bikes but do not stack up to dedicated aero platforms. The old Madone is probably more aero than the r5 and similar weight. That's why.

IchDien

by IchDien

joepac wrote:

The F8 is approximately same aero benefit as the Propel, old Venge, S3, S5, Madone, AR, TMR, Aeroroad, etc.
The R5 is not. The r5, new supersix, and canyon ultimate are more aero than "normal" bikes but do not stack up to dedicated aero platforms. The old Madone is probably more aero than the r5 and similar weight. That's why.

Have you got the aero data for the f8 to prove that? The data i've seen points to the r5 being almost as aero as the s5 over a long rolling course...and more aero than other "aero platforms".

mikeyc

by mikeyc

I just voted with my wallet and got the Storck Aerfast. My second choice would be the Canyon Aeroad.
Last edited by mikeyc on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

joepac

by joepac

IchDien wrote:
joepac wrote:

Have you got the aero data for the f8 to prove that? The data i've seen points to the r5 being almost as aero as the s5 over a long rolling course...and more aero than other "aero platforms".

Short version:
Chris Yu of specialized stated the F8 tested well when they were testing aero frames during the development of the Vias. Judging by that, Pinarello stating the f8 is a lot more aero than the old dogma, and just that it looks pretty aero I think that is decent evidence that it is aero.

Just because the R5 did well in that test does not make it an aero frame. You don't seem to understand the source you cited. The R5 did decently, but it's because it's light + more aero than other light bikes in this test. The test assumed a 200w static output for a 75kg rider, which hurts the aero frames.

And if you are not reading the long version just ignore the picture and assume it's all marketing ploy or whatever.

Long version:
You need to learn how to read data, take into account the situations that the test examines, and how that applies to the current situation. I am sorry if that is overly harsh, but your lack of understanding of the test you cited is apparent. Let me attempt to educate you. If you actually read and understood the conditions of the article you cited you would realize how ridiculous it is that you think this somehow proves the R5 is an aero frame. This article is comparing the light vs aero offerings of a companies with both over a simulated course with hills. The model is based on a 75kg/165lbs person with a static output of 200watts! This is really low lol. I might average 200 watts on a course like that but do 350 up the climbs, 0 on the descents and between 175-300w on the flatter sections depending upon momentum/feel. If it was a higher wattage output the aero bikes would have faired better: They would have gained more in the flats (the faster you go the more drag) and lost less in the climbs (because climbing faster = more aero drag). This is a really basic model with some real world applicability, especially if you're slow and you like to do solo time trials on road frames.

So, just because the R5 did okay, does not make it an aero bike. A simple yaw sweep will tell you a lot more about how aero a bike is. Cervelo also says that the R5 is nowhere near the S5 or S3 in terms of drag savings. For reference, in the picture the S5 would be the most aero bike on the non Vias aero grouping, and the S3 would fit in as similarly aero as the old Venge and not as aero as the S5. If you believe Specialized and Tour (where your pic came from) the S5 would be the leader in that grouping. If I remember correctly that grouping is the old Venge, Propel, AR, and S5. Again, this is Specialized data so we need to take it with a grain of salt, but at least the groupings shown for the non Vias frames superficially match pretty closely to what has been shown in other third party data in regards to the old Venge vs. the competition. (Go to aeroweenie and check out the Tour test of 2015 of aero road bikes and they get similar results. Trek got similar results when testing the new Madone vs. these bikes).

Speaking of the picture, it is from the same thread where Chris Yu stated that the F8 is a leader in aerodynamics, somewhere above the old Venge in this spread with the likes of the Propel, Aeroroad, etc. Again, Spec has every reason to make the Vias look a faster than the competition so I don't completely trust this data without some third party verification, but the old Venge versus the non Vias competition does seem to at least superficially match up to other third party data I have seen.

Now back to the R5... All the aero frames that beat the R5 were either very aero (see the s5) or a pretty light aero setup (Venge, Propel, Foil). I don't know how much the TMR weighs. The R5 did well because it is very light and is more aero than a normal bike. The R5 is still just a light a bike with aero cues... Again, if you actually read the article this what they say. They state it's a great design with both comfort and speed. They specifically state if you don't like how uncomfortable aero frames are, this is a nice middle ground. Note it got beaten by 20+ seconds by the old Venge, the Propel, the TMR, and the S5. The old Foil was not as aero as other aero frames, but it was pretty light for an aero frame.

Also take into consideration these are the old s5, old Aeroroad, and old Venge. If it had the new s5, new aeroroad, new Vias, new Foil, and included more bikes like the new Felt AR, etc. there would be more aero frames beating the r5. It would be interesting to see how the new Supersix, new Scultura, new Ultimate, etc stack up to the new aero frames. Especially under different static and non-static wattage outputs.
Attachments
thenewvengevsall.jpg

audiojan

by audiojan

F8, although it's not really an aero bike per se… But it is an amazing all rounder that's aero enough.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

Exactly, the reason I bought the F8 is because its not aerobike its a bike that is aero. Meaning it a fantasic riding bike with aero benifits and the cant be said about many of them.