New Frame - A true all-rounder

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stoney

by stoney

TCR Advanced Pro frameset. It's awesome. Or if you like the ISP version you could go for the more expensive TCR Advanced SL frameset.

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

But I have found another frame that probably ticks all of my boxes. Scott Addict 30.

1) Nice styling with almost horizontal top-tube
2) Reasonably light and comfy
3) Di2 and mechanical compatible
4) Clever internal routing
5) Nice geo

I can get the full bike for 1700 EUR. It looks like a good price to me... What do you think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Super Brad

by Super Brad

I'm not sure if you made mention of this earlier, but I still think a TeamMachine is one of the best bikes I've ridden. The ride was so smooth and it seemed to be made for accelerations.
This was around 12-13 year model, not sure how they fare currently?

I saw you'd ridden one previously

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

Indeed I had. I have ridden RM01, SLR01 2012 and SLR02 2013. They were all spectacular bikes with the beautiful look. For me the RM01/SLR01 was by far the best bike I have ever ridden probably due to the geometry and nice blend of stiffness and comfort. SLR01 just felt stable and you could do a 150km ride on it no problems.

Point is I am trying to find this characteristic elsewhere. I have already had enough BMCs and I would like to try something else. I am looking for bike that is stiff, comfy and stable - in no way I want a criterium bike.

The Addict looks right to me. Not a lot of reviews, but they all saying it is very comfy bike and relatively stiff - not enough for sprinter, but frankly I am no sprinter. I hardly ever do more than 1000 watts, my top is 1100 watts. But I am a climber with great FTP (or I used to be...) who likes to do 100+ rides alone and enjoy mountains, therefore a rough roads.

1700 euros for bike on Shimano 105 which used to be a test bike (250km ridden) is expensive, but I think the frame is wort it.

mgoles

by mgoles

I was looking for same thing 1 month ago... Only my frame had to be stiff... Very stiff... I bouhgt Giant Tcr Sl with ultegra 2014... For 2000€ ... And it is awesome... For me Tcr is better racing bike than Oltre... Now i will sell new Oltre xr2 frameset which i received in replacment... Only downside of tcr is that is not so great in absorbing high-freq vibrations...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

Giant TCR SL is very slopping frame and that's usually what I tried to avoid. Since I have a big drop on my bikes (14cm) the slopping frames usually start to look ridiculously small. And what I have read they are very, very stiff frames and thats result in kinda harsh ride...

But I have found a brand new Xelius SL frame in my size (55) for 1600 EUR. The more I look at it the more I like it... There are two things I dont like.

1) Team version colors have SHIMANO written on the chainstays. Since I would use Campy Chorus on the build it sucks. But I can go around and choose the neon yellow version, but thats a crazy color...
2) Direct/Normal brakes combo. I dont understand this... Why on earth you would choose direct brake mount fro front brake and regular one for rear? Also Campy dont sell direct brakes now...

What do you think about Xelius? Lapierre is kinda the brand which doesnt get a lot of attention but at least I would get a unique bike which a great pedigree...

PS: Sorry for this, but selecting a bike when on budget is heck of a job...

Devon

by Devon

Not sure if this is relevant at all. I've not read the full topic. Have you looked at Mason? The Transcontinental was won on one this year.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

GorrGrimWolf wrote:1) Nice styling with almost horizontal top-tube
2) Reasonably light and comfy
3) Di2 and mechanical compatible
4) Clever internal routing
5) Nice geo

A swift ultravox will tick 1), 2) - depending on how you define light, 3) and 4) - does the geometry/budget work for you?

I really like how mine goes on climbs and rough roads, though I've never ridden a BMC to compare it to. It's certainly a smooth bike that's no slouch under power.

A solution for your Lapierre could be to swap the forks out? Might push you out of budget though...
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

erikw1968

by erikw1968

Legend, handmade by Bertoletti

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

The thing is it should be a carbon bike. I wanted to have a carbon for one specific reason - next year I should get and race REPETE Reborn frame so I want to have something different to steel so I can properly compare.

But back to the topic and probably last question I am going to ask here. Which you would choose from those?

1) Scott Addict 30 2015 for 1720 EUR
2) SuperSix Evo 5 2015 for 1580 EUR

vilegnus

by vilegnus

GorrGrimWolf wrote:1) Scott Addict 30 2015 for 1720 EUR
2) SuperSix Evo 5 2015 for 1580 EUR

I'd go for EVO.
Too many Scott and Focus frames in our local carbon fiber repair workshop

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

So I will dismissed both. Neither is compatible with Di2/ESP without modding the frame. Cannot get them as a frameset only so I will be paying for 105 groupset which I will not need. Wanted to solve this with SL4, but unless I missed something the internal routing is terrible and shifting really suffers. Better than Venge I guess, but still...

Since I should be receiving the new frame anyway and this frame is for winter/rainy bike the used SL3 S-Works 2011 for 750 EUR looks like hell of a deal to me.