Northwave Speedplay adapter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Getter

by Getter

Has anyone used the SP adapter vs the three hole adapter that comes with Speedplay cleats? Is there a big difference in stack height? I'm switching over from Specialized to Northwave and want to see if its "worth it" to buy the SP adapter. The adapter also comes with its own mounting screws...and SP screws wear down. Where do I buy new ones if I lose one or wear one out?

Thanks!

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I would think so, even if I don't have direct experience with Northwave shoes.
I used their adapter on my Bont shoes (after some mods/improvisation). It was worth it as the adapter increased the stack by only 1mm (or less) comparing with a Speedpaly specific shoe assumed to be zero stack.
I've switched to SPDSL, for the better.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

helldiver

by helldiver

I have northwave extreme tech shoes with speedplay adapter and cleats, i'm very happy so far, zero problems and maybe 1mm increase in sole thickness. The only problem is that i recently bought the new walkable cleats and their covers seems to be not quite compatible with thradapters, as the adapters have sligthly raised edge around cleats (assuming standard cleats), while walkable covers need flat area around cleats. I will see, i think i will have to modify either adapters or walkable covers.

Getter

by Getter

Helldiver,

Thanks for that bit of info! I was thinking about buying the walkable cleats for the new shoes. Something else to consider. I think I just might use the standard SP adapter first and see how that works out.

Thanks for the replies guys. :beerchug:

1234SO

by 1234SO

Getter wrote:Has anyone used the SP adapter vs the three hole adapter that comes with Speedplay cleats? Is there a big difference in stack height? I'm switching over from Specialized to Northwave and want to see if its "worth it" to buy the SP adapter. The adapter also comes with its own mounting screws...and SP screws wear down. Where do I buy new ones if I lose one or wear one out?

Thanks!

The adpter reduces the stack height from 3mm to 0.3mm. It makes a difference and the NW extreme tech shoes are great!

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

My adapter should be coming very soon and the NW extreme tech shoes are likely the nicest shoes I have had so far once I managed to get them fit properly. Even with the regular SP adapter they have a lower stack height than the Lake SP specific shoes I previously wore.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joshclick

by joshclick

I've had the NW Extreme Tech shoes w/ speedplay for 2 seasons. They've been working great. The only issue is that the interface between the adapter and SP cleat may start squeaking or making noise. My SP adapters dont fit the shape of the shoe perfectly, but that may be because they've been slightly warped/compressed from riding them for so long.

Otherwise, there really are no issues.

Another thing to note is that because of the adapters coming up around the cleat slightly, it blocks a ridge that the keep on kovers use to stay on, so you have to be a little careful while walking around with the covers on places like stairs so they don't fall off.