Tarmac SL4 with SRM - Frame Clearance for cadence magnet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

micahb

by micahb

I have a 2012 Tarmac SL4 frame and put an SRM with S-works cranks on it. There is very little clearance between the frame and SRM, but it seems fine.

Then I bought a k-edge chain catcher with SRM magnet attached thinking I could use this instead of the SRM magnet that screws into the bottom bracket. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be clearance to fit the magnet between the frame and the SRM. There appears to be several pros using the k-edge SRM chain catcher and magnet with Tarmacs; does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Carrots

by Carrots

Have you moved the magnet up as high as possible on the bottom of the catcher? From memory they have two screws holding the magnet in place right? I ended up using one of the screws only to get the magnet up higher on mine to allow extra clearance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tetonroller

by tetonroller

I also have insufficient clearance for this chain catcher after purchasing with the same idea as you.

Have a 2011 Tarmac Pro sl3 and 2015 SW Venge. Both have the same tight spacing with sworks crank and srm spider.

Best solution seems to be some putty epoxy and a magnet to the frame where a dropped chain can't interfere. With a normal chain catcher that's shorter and/or narrower.