Drilling Holes in handlebars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FreaK

by FreaK

Fiery wrote:Cut an inch or so off the ends of the drops. The hooks will stay usable and safe, and you'll lose a dozen grams at least.

I forgot about that one. Back in olden times of the WW board, i remember that being a hack at least a couple people used. I think one of the Gunther Mai builds was like that. Then again the clamping area of his levers is hacked down too, i'm sure it saves weight but it sure looks like squishy braking.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

erty65 wrote:Stock bars with holes designed in, rather than designed for no holes then drilled in the hope nothing goes wrong:

ftfy

Marin

by Marin

sungod wrote:ftfy

Yea, designed for holes. My sources tell me that they actually started with the holes in this case and extroooded the bars right around them :D

mattr

by mattr

Well, they'll have the right thickness of material for drilling the holes, they'll probably use a CNC machine to do the drilling, then they'll have any treatments (ball burnishing etc) and the edges of the holes will be deburred and stress relieved.

So yeah, "designed for holes"

But you knew that ;)

kman

by kman

I often trim an inch off my bars.
I drilled the inserted section of a seat post once (alloy), it didn't save much so I can't see it doing much on a carbon bar.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa