Drilling Holes in handlebars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jamesbass

by jamesbass

For road racing, I have to have drop bars to meet the regulations but would ideally like to cut the drops off to save weight. I don't use the drops, even in sprinting.

The next best thing to do is drill out as much as the drops with holes, while still keeping the drop shape to satisfy the regulations.

I plan on drilling out most of the drops and covering with light tape so nobody notices.

I'm using some cheap Chinese carbon bars. Any downsides to this? Has anyone done this before? Am I going to die?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

highdraw

by highdraw

I personally would never ride cheap Chinese carbon bars. Reason is...its a vertitable lottery if the layup has been tested for structural integrity. You sadly are their test subjects...what one pays for with a name brand handlebar when liability can bankrupt a brand. My face is too pretty for any direct contact with tarmac at 30 mph when sprinting.

That said, many pros won't even ride a name brand carbon handlebar...believe Al handlebars are safer. I don't go that far but I don't put out 1800w in a sprint either when a handlebar is being elastically deformed.

What I believe you write is a very bad idea...making hooks have no structural integrity.

Instead, I would reconsider why you don't use drops. To me, your riding technique is flawed if you don't. They have their place and I use mine constantly when cheating the wind and sprinting.

Good luck
Last edited by highdraw on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

kdawg

by kdawg

Any downside to drilling cutting cheap carbon bars?

I've heard the dental bills can be expensive.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

Marin

by Marin

No problem with drilling holes in the drops if you don't use them.

However, it's a bodge, people will laugh at you, and it won't save a significant amount of weight or make you faster.

The biggest speed gain will be to get a proper fit and learning to ride in the drops.

racingcondor

by racingcondor

In the situation you describe you should be fine (just don't breath in any dust from the drilling). Drawbacks are -
1) no longer able to sell the bars,
2) risk of them breaking in a minor crash / bike falling over is going to increase dramatically,
3) risk of creating a jagged edge when they break in a crash (I wouldn't want to do this and then have the modified bars injure someone where they break).
4) small weight savings for probably quite a bit of effort (but given the site that's hardly a rarity),

For me no.3 is the reason I wouldn't. You wouldn't race without bar end plugs and this adds some small amount of crash risk to whoever your bike lands on in a bad crash.

All that said unless you have a back problem that's keeping you out of the drops you should probably be looking at your overall bike fit. If you're racing and you're not using the drops there's something wrong.

Marin

by Marin

Maybe he runs as much drop as Cipo, he had the bars so low that he's sprint on the hoods :D

jamesbass

by jamesbass

OK, sure. There are a couple of things there that I hadn't considered. The jagged edge thing is pretty serious and might land me in some trouble if a serious accident occurred.

With my parts at the lightest they can be without spending some more serious money, I'm just looking for any other losses possible, for relatively low cost/free.

Marin

by Marin

Make a new thread & post your bike with a parts list - suggestions will come.

What does it weigh now and how much do you want to spend?

sluggo

by sluggo

I know this is WW but drilling your carbon bars to save weight for racing? Seriously? :shock: How much performance benefit do you think this will give you in a race? Look elsewhere for sensible places to save weight whether that's bike or body.

ergott

by ergott

If you are racing and never use the drops another conversion needs to be had that's more important. Sounds to me like another case of having a bike that looks pro, but a rider doesn't actually fit on it.

highdraw

by highdraw

Marin wrote:Maybe he runs as much drop as Cipo, he had the bars so low that he's sprint on the hoods :D

Common and would not be surprised. Slave to fashion.

sungod

by sungod

drilling cf bars will not save much weight, it simply increases risk of injury/death/other bad things

couple more to add to those above is...

you say you never ride on the drops, but they are there, one day in a surprise situation you may grab them, when they snap off in your hand(s) it could end very badly you and anyone unfortunate enough to be near you when it happens

by willfully damaging a safety critical component you also expose yourself in the event of legal action if anyone else suffers injury/loss as a result, i'm sure it would invalidate any liability insurance you may have

if you want to save a bit of weight on the drops, don't put any bar tape on them

BigYin

by BigYin

Maybe unnecessary to question his bike-fit, I've seen good riders who barely, if ever, use the drops, including sprinting. Anyway, James, the weightweenie addiction is difficult to shake, the road to madness is well travelled! You might save 20g by drilling, and endanger yourself and others. I suggest replacing this addiction with hallucinogenic drugs. Cheaper and much more fun!

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have to join the chorus against this idea.

In regards to not using the drops ever, even when sprinting, this is not one of those times when there are many ways to skin a cat. You are just doing it wrong. I know that there are many different bar shapes in the pro peloton, different drops, people with saddles slammed forward and back, round and ovalised rings BUT every sprinter is on the drops. Every. Single. One. They all are on the drops bombing down a twisty road. The reason - its better. I'm not comparing myself to the pros, but i think some emulation of their basic techniques is probably advisable, because as the best in the world, they probably know what is the best way to do it.

It is similar to a guy buying a TT bike and wanting to remove the extensions as you feel more comfy on the base bar - learn to ride the extensions, learn to use the drops, otherwise your racing is going to go nowhere (especially if you're a sprinter)
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andrewfelix

by andrewfelix

The performance benefits of using the drops will be astronomical compared to any potential gains from weight savings. At speed most of your energy goes into fighting air.