Does SRAM always supply the wrong instructions?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

My recently arrived S952 crankset is indeed a 'road 'crankset' so they put in the Road Crankset User Manual because they would, wouldn't they? But because it is a Wide Axle crankset it didn't apply and it instructed me not to use two 2.5mm spacers where two should be used. (The S952 is to an MTB pattern but has a 110 spider fitted).

Not being a SRAM kind of person, do they do this type of thing quite often?

Thanks.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

They don't make it easy to find online either. I failed.

Generally, their instructions seem to be modeled on the Ikea way. Perhaps you just don't understand :wink:
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

Agree that I hate the "pictograph" instructions.
I generally put everything together with very light torques to make sure I understand it before final assembly. I buggered my first BB30 locking collar.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Well at least in the Internet age instructions are generally quite findable. And it is interesting (to me at least) how different companies approach the subject.

I think the worst instructions I have ever seen were for a Stronglight ActivLink - a proprietry Stronglight design, I believe - carbon crankset.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Valbrona wrote:Well at least in the Internet age instructions are generally quite findable. And it is interesting (to me at least) how different companies approach the subject.

So just to satisfy my curiosity, why not post the link to the instructions that you are complaining about ?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Krackor

by Krackor

Sram has all their docs here.

The road crankset manual has some special instructions for "wide axle" models. Do those not apply to the S952?

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Great thread.

Marin

by Marin

Sram instructions are among the worst. You can see they really tried hard, but they failed miserably.

I've done the front derailleur one several times, and I find new stuff every time ::)

Rick

by Rick

Just to be fair to SRAM; I don't think they are the worst. My new Deda Monolink seatpost came only with a generic brochure of how to install "seatposts", "stems". handlebars, etc...
Nothing at all specific to the seatpost I bought, or the monolink system.

Marin

by Marin

Soooo tempting to comment about needing instructions for a seatpost ;)

Great thread indeed!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

You've seen how litigious some societies are, right? Instructions for a seat post would cost little and potentially save you thousands. Worth the effort.

Also flattered to appear in your signature ;)

Rick

by Rick

And, yes, I would actually like to now which surfaces to lube of not lube and which bolts to tighten first, or if there is any preference at all. ....or at least what they recommend for these things. I never had a monolink seatpost/saddle before. :beerchug:

deek

by deek

Valbrona wrote:My recently arrived S952 crankset is indeed a 'road 'crankset' so they put in the Road Crankset User Manual because they would, wouldn't they? But because it is a Wide Axle crankset it didn't apply and it instructed me not to use two 2.5mm spacers where two should be used. (The S952 is to an MTB pattern but has a 110 spider fitted).

Not being a SRAM kind of person, do they do this type of thing quite often?

Thanks.

Yeah man I can't believe they would do something like that
oh wait

mattr

by mattr

Meh, I've had out of date instructions several times.
Even when something intrinsic to the instalation has changed.

Thankfully, our only, and last piece of SRAM is fitted and working (after some head scratching and a download) and we are unlikely to add to our collection.

deek

by deek

It is possible that the instructions were out of date, although in this case I think it would be a pretty straight forward problem to fix. Oh, what is this 5mm gap I have and what are these extra spacers for?

As far as the picture instructions, they do it so that they don't have to translate everything into every language. Not ideal, but not that big of a deal. I also grew up with Lego so the picture instructions are pretty natural to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com