Alligator I-Links with Dura Ace 9000 levers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Arfer01

by Arfer01

Any help would be very very much appreciated as this is the last part of my dream build i need to sort out.

I am setting up my Dura Ace 9000 build with full Alligator I-links. I am running 4mm on the gear outers no problem. The 5mm brake outer does not fit inside the recessed brake entry of the 9000 levers due to the outer i-link housing being to big at its widest point. Alligator do not suggest running the 4mm outer for brakes, only gear. Non of the supplied adapters ect work with the 9000 levers as they are not long enough. I have met Alligator representatives at Eurobike and it is a incompatibility they were not aware of. I have also spoken to the UK importer of Alligator and they did not know as its not something they had tried yet. One obvious solution is to run standard outer from the lever to the a converter half way along the top of the bar but i want it to not be a chop together converted set up as such. Contadore was running I-links with 9000 at the last tour as i doubt Fausto would convert between the two. What it really needs is an extra long ferrule as such. i know it has been done but there is very little info at all . Please see image, the arrow shows the widest point, the blue shows how far the I-link goes inside and the red is how far it should go. Please anything would be great. Thanks.

http://imgur.com/lhB2mN6

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric01

by eric01

Just run a short length of conventional housing enough to clear the lever hoods

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

BhSimon

by BhSimon

I don’t think it is a ‘chop together’ to run a short piece of standard outer. Just an inch (2.5 cm) should do the job and it won’t impact the weight significantly. Even if the i-links could fit, I would still recommend this approach since the interface between the shifter and cable housing is important for optimal performance and designed to interface with standard housing.

So, don’t let it worry you and go for it. Dream builds are exciting and it will be cool to see pictures when you’re done.

2old4this

by 2old4this

+1
A short piece of normal housing does the trick.

Arfer01

by Arfer01

Hi

Thankyou for your replys. I know the piece of outer option will work but it is somehting that i want to avoid. If anyone else knows any other options without using a piece of standard outer it would be very appreciated. Thanks again.

BlueNGT

by BlueNGT

I also have iLink and 9000 levers and am in the same position and will be starting my build very soon.

If anybody has a real work around that doesn't involve splicing and using a run of standard outer it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Arfer01

by Arfer01

ImageImage

Finally found a solution with help from hassling Alligator 2 years running at eurobike, these are four individual pieces, they are now designing these as one piece for me to try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Where did you get those pieces

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Arfer01

by Arfer01

JasperGr wrote:Where did you get those pieces

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Alligator directly. i do not know a part number as i was given them in person. A new solution piece is currently being made by them.

BlueNGT

by BlueNGT

Arfer01 wrote:ImageImage

Finally found a solution with help from hassling Alligator 2 years running at eurobike, these are four individual pieces, they are now designing these as one piece for me to try

Great work mate.....some real tenacity there!!! I swapped for Jagwire Elite Links in the end.

Arfer01

by Arfer01

BlueNGT wrote:
Arfer01 wrote:ImageImage

Great work mate.....some real tenacity there!!! I swapped for Jagwire Elite Links in the end.

I don't blame you, been a long journey but I might nearly be there, the Jagwire elite are I think the best cable system but Alligator is a bit lighter on the gears outers and since this is weight weenies and all ;)

Superlite

by Superlite

What is the weight per meter on this setup?

Thanks

Arfer01

by Arfer01

27g for brake, 16 for gear

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Arfer01 wrote:
BlueNGT wrote:Great work mate.....some real tenacity there!!! I swapped for Jagwire Elite Links in the end.

I don't blame you, been a long journey but I might nearly be there, the Jagwire elite are I think the best cable system but Alligator is a bit lighter on the gears outers and since this is weight weenies and all ;)

If i'll use Shimano's inner cable for shift, do you think jagwire elite link outer will still be better than i-link mini 's outer?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Arfer01

by Arfer01

Hexsense wrote:
Arfer01 wrote:
BlueNGT wrote:Great work mate.....some real tenacity there!!! I swapped for Jagwire Elite Links in the end.

If i'll use Shimano's inner cable for shift, do you think jagwire elite link outer will still be better than i-link mini 's outer?

Will be more compatible with more systems but I-links 4mm gear system it lighter