Suggestion for Carbon Frame Worthy of Custom Paint Job

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

I think first the original poster needs to find a frame he really likes before investing into a custom paint job. (Hey, I like my Z4 a lot.) It would be a shame to invest in a new paint job for a bike you ended up only feeling lukewarm about.

I was tracking this C50 on ebay. The paint job looks great. It sold for peanuts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331646274639

Maybe the purists didn't like the repaint or the electronic-only conversion scared them off? Was that a conversion? Did they make electronic-only C50s?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'm always a little leery about a repainted used frame (unless you know it's history first hand). Colnago did make electronic and mechanical specific frames for a while but joined the bandwagon and started making them dual (either or) after a while somewhere in the C59 era. I don't like the dual personally because there's always redundant holes left in your frame no matter which way you go. If you want to do a badass paint scheme why not get an open mold frame from one of the reputable Chinese companies with a geometry that works for you then go to town on it paintwise. I certainly wouldn't want to depart too much from an original Colnago paint scheme. That's as much a part of the bike as everything else. I think it would devalue the frame rather than increase its value.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

Yes, as suggested above, I'm first trying to narrow down my search for a frame, then I'll build it up as is, ride the shit out of it for a bit and then assuming I like how it handles, tear it down and send it off to Hottubes. This is more or less my pretty, mellow day bike. Not to complicate things further, but I'll probably want to throw 28's on it too.

Also, I fully understand that material is not the final say in how durable a frame is, which is why I'm trying to solicit input on what people consider a well-mannered, durable frame.

Multebear

by Multebear

DMF wrote:I wouldn't ever consider custom painting a frame that doesn't hit every single number for both fit and handling. I.e stack, reach, HTA, STA, HT, CS, FC... This is ofcourse a very personal thing based on your measurements and your preference for handling...

Unless you're just doing a show piece, in which case I might not even bother installing BB bearings or a headset as they add cost, weight and are unessential for internet forum photo posting...

In other words, best tip would be to get a bike that actually fits, not just one that is said to "ride well" as that is just half the truth.

This....

I would pick a Evo HiMod, fits me perfectly.

RyanH

by RyanH

^^this doesn't help me very much since the universe of bicycle options is several hundred to a thousand. Of course I'm going to finalize on something that fits and handles how I want it to, but I'm trying to narrow down my choices...

AJS914

by AJS914

What happened to your Parlee Z5? You got tired of it? No regrets moving to the Xicon? If you liked the Z5, a Z4 should be very similar.

RyanH

by RyanH

I like unique bikes, and as unique as it was for a mass produced carbon bike, it was still a made in Taiwan bike to me. As far as being a bike though, it was hands down one of the best riding frames I've been on. I have zero regrets about moving to the Xicon though. If I had the option to do it all over again, I'd pick the Xicon again.

Since this contemplated bike will be a second bike, I don't care as much about where it was made. I just want something that will have a sublime ride and I won't regret investing $600-$800 in a custom paint job for it. A Parlee Z4 is still at the top of the list with the lugged frame look and relatively modest sized tubes and knowing that it should ride similar to the Z5. Although, now that you mentioned it, I should probably put the Z5 on the list too.

2old4this

by 2old4this

Have you looked into Calfee? Their paintshop does some excellent work. Your frame will be very unique anyways...

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

If your custom paint job ends up costing drastically more than the stock-fit frame itself then it is not snobbery, it is a question of priorities, which in my estimation would need to be readdressed.
Now, if the OP is just respraying any frame black or single color, then I am with you.
But truly custom paint jobs deserve a better quality of canvas.