PF30 adaptors: clearance for Di2 internal wires?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Hi, I am looking at PF30 to Shimano 24mm adapters for a Di2 frame.

Can anyone please tell me if the Praxis converter would have room for D12 wires to go around it? It has a big sleeve which would appear to potentially occlude the holes in the tubes.

Also if I fitted a sleeve converter then would I have to take the whole thing out to access the B junction?

Is it easier to use twin bearings rather than sleeve design for Di2?

Many thanks

Alan

Zoose

by Zoose

It will depend on the frame whether there will be clearance or not. I'd think most frames you would be okay as the di2 wires are pretty thin.

You would have to remove the bottom bracket to access junction b but chances are you will not have to ever do that since about all that can happen with that is wires coming unplugged and with no forces acting directly on the junction that can't happen.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

What frame are you building? Should be no problem.... run the wires and then press in Praxis piece.

la rosa

by la rosa

My Lynskey 350 doesn't have enough room.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Kind of depends on the frame.. But generally yes the praxis will not be an issue for di2.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by 11.4

The Praxis also doesn't work with Moots frames, at least last time I had to build one. Praxis details most of the "do not fit" cases on their website.

All that being said, there isn't a lot of room with many of the PF30 bottom brackets. The King has the internal liner inset slightly, but only by about the thickness of the Di2 wire. You need every bit of the space and certainly can't have two wires crossing over each other. It's tight.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

When I was investigating this, I was told by Praxis that the PF30 option left no room for DI2 wires to fit around the BB unit within the PF30 BB shell. For PF30, Praxis uses a shim that presses against the BB shell, leaving no clearance.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

HI, thanks to all for the answers. This is very useful. I could not see how wires could fit around some of the very flush bb frame shells and it is good to have my suspicions confirmed.

I saw the Praxis exclusion list but I suspect this is not exhaustive.

I will get my frame first and inspect the bb shell. If in doubt I will get a bb with narrower sleeve than the Praxis.

Regards

Alan

DartanianX

by DartanianX

They way Praxis works means there will be no room for Di2 cables to run externally around the shell.

The NDS is pressed into the frame and is a tight fit against the shell, then when the DS is installed it presses the entire shell of the Praxis BB against the BB of the frame.

It does however, have cut outs in the shell that line up with the DT, ST, CS and the one to the drain port, cable guide bolt on the bottom of the frame.

For me, in my CAAD10 the holes wouldn't line up so I was unable to run a praxis as there would have been no way to get a cable through the CS to the RD.

Hope this helps.

Danza

by Danza

My experiences with a bb30 SystemSix retrofitted for di2.

Praxis doesn't work, the sleeve is the diameter of the outer bearing.

Wheels manufacturing worked. The sleeve tapers down to close to the spindle diameter so I could run the wires. Hope this helps

springs

by springs

Plenty of room for wires with a Praxis in a Bianchi Infinto CV frame.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

But no room for wires between the Praxis sleeve and the BB shell like the OP was asking for.

nicrump

by nicrump

Kogel. It is perfect for PF30 with straight bore IDs. Very high quality and plenty of room for Di2 wires while keeping them shielded from the spindle.

they are also a deeper fit and very precise OD. i think the absolute best BB for PF30 to Shimano cranks.
Last edited by nicrump on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

craddock
in the industry

by craddock

Hope now have an option for PF30 to 24mm. They call it PF46 and it has good clearance for wires.
http://www.hopetech.com/product/press-f ... m-bracket/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Thanks. dartanianx: I can see the holes in the sleeve but was worried, as you have found, that they might not line up.
Craddock: The Hope BB looks very neat and I have some of their kit but apparently needs custom fitting tool. I wo

I will get frame first and if any doubt will get Wheels Mfg BB or other narrower sleeve.

Alan