When to wash bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sawyer

by sawyer

DMF wrote:I don't ever wash a bike with a hose of any sort, let alone a pressure washer. That is what kills bearings, not the part where you clean your bike every day. I found the most effective method for "dry cleaning" a bike to be baby wipes, the cheapest ones seem more effective, might not actually use those on an actual baby though.

What that method is a all about, is getting in a routine and being smart about it, i.e not using the wipe as a rag but more as a tool... For instance threading it thru a brake or derailleur and tugging on the ends, the same around tubes. Think dental floss...

Did I mention this is done in the living room with a minimum of floor cleanup up afterwards?

+1 on all that, though I do it outside

if pushed for time, baby wipe the crap out of the chain, the chainrings, and the jockey wheels, then re-lube

With more time, do as above, plus sponge, warm water and washing up liquid to clean everything else.

And remove cassette to clean individual sprockets
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hobbsneti

by hobbsneti

You know there's salt in washing up liquid, right?[emoji33]

mattr

by mattr

I do mine when it's dirty, every ride usually. :(

Car shampoo, tar spot remover (excellent degreaser) and 10 minutes is all it takes. (15 minutes for the MTB)

AJS914

by AJS914

Every ride? You must not ride much or you have a lot more time than I do. :-)

Rick

by Rick

I am in the "virtually never" camp.
I do wipe down specifically dirty areas frequently, but almost never "wash" the bike.

Maybe after riding in rain or with lots of road spray....which is rare in Utah.
Or maybe after a century in which I drooled a lot of gatorade all over everything.
But it is mostly just "wipe what I see is dirty". Pledge, alcohol, WD-40, Simple Green, etc

mattr

by mattr

AJS914 wrote:Every ride? You must not ride much or you have a lot more time than I do. :-)
or maybe my bike comes back from most rides filthy?
I live at the end of a dirt track, which is either dusty or muddy. Except for about 5 months a year, when it's under a minimum of 10cm of ice (and the snow on top of that)

xena
Banned

by xena

I give my bike a quick a wipe down with a baby wipe and dry off with kitchen towel. [2 mins] every few rides. If It has been a wet ride I wipe it down with a few more baby wipes and dry with kitchen towel 20 mins if its really dirty.
Never use water or any cleaning product.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

sawyer

by sawyer

hobbsneti wrote:You know there's salt in washing up liquid, right?[emoji33]

Yes, but once heavily diluted it's a miniscule amount and I rinse afterwards. Doesn't do any harm IME
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

timmbo

by timmbo

hobbsneti wrote:You know there's salt in washing up liquid, right?[emoji33]

there may be some obscure budget brand that puts salt in (for some unknown reason), but largely, there isn't.