SRAM Red 10 speed rear derailleur breaking, any experiences?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marin

by Marin

I don't think it's an issue with the current generation of Red derailleurs.

josephtroppo

by josephtroppo

Just wanted to let you guys know that SRAM's customer service rocked! After sending in the derailleur they got back to me with the reason the derailleur broke and replaced it.

Two thumbs up, customer service is important and SRAM has gotten it totally right.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dastott

by dastott

My 11 speed broke today. Had it 25 months and bought in a different country. Guess no chance of a warranty. Plan to replace it with Force.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have killed 3 rds. I use q rings though. I think the constant chain tension adjustment leads to premature wear
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dastott

by dastott

The shifting had felt a bit rough the last few days, but mostly in the lighter gears of the big ring. The chain was a little worn so I was about to replace it after 2 more rides. After cresting a short climb today (80% full gas) I felt the chain lock as I changed up (still in the big ring). I was able to unclip and get off safely as the back wheel locked up. The RD cage had sheared off and the chain had marked my chain stays. No major damage luckily but it was quite a hassle getting home. This is with 50/34 Cannondale Spiderings. I am 70kgs.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I take it the head titanium spindle had worn through at one location?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dastott

by dastott

Sorry for the poor picture quality. This means I have to replace the whole RD?

Marin

by Marin

No, you could get a new cage and fit it.

Even the ones from Apex or Rival will fit, and you can probably take the carbon back plate and pulles from your Red.

You can see nicely how the retention flange on the cage spindle is worn. I just removed one that looked similar. If the cage has axial play, i.e. you can push it inwards, it's time to replace it.

Marin

by Marin

BTW if anyone has a Wifli parallelogram without a cage I'm interested!

dastott

by dastott

Something like this from eBay?

Marin

by Marin

Should work.

I think that eTap is different, but mechanical will fit.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

That looks like an etap one.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

my red derailleur 10s broke at same point. no replacement by sram.

davidecook

by davidecook

I know this is an older post, but I wanted to tag on since I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday. Was wondering, since my derailleur is 5 years old, if I have any recourse with SRAM? Also, I thought this was a fluke and it turns out this is a fairly regular occurance with SRAM rear derailleurs. I'm nervous about having just replaced this broken component with a new WiFLi version.
BrokeSram.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com