MCFK vs AX Lightness Pheonix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kukula

by Kukula

Hi everyone first post here. I am contemplating on getting my first all carbon saddle and have narrowed down my choices to these two. I was hoping I can get some user experiences about these particular saddles. I currently use a Fizik Arionne 00 and love it. But at 135 grams I figured I might to save a few more by switching to a full carbon. Thanks :)

sungod

by sungod

never used mcfk, but i have used the ax phoenix, it's ok, the design provides a little bit of give, but in the end i found i was not stable on it - it is quite narrow, maybe i'm too big for it, i still prefered it to the arione though

a couple of years ago i switched to the ax leaf, this is excellent, still very light, i find the cut out works well, and it also has a bit of give, for me the shape gives a much more stable position

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

I use Mcfk saddles on all my bikes and thats what I would recommend . I used the phoenix for a while but didn't really like the feel of it, I know full carbon saddles aren't meant for long rides, but the phoenix would leave me unable to keep pedaling after 50miles. I have done a couple of century rides on My Mcfk saddles with no problems. If one of your concerns is having the lowest weight, I would also go Mcfk, all their products have always been spot on in weight. Ax lightness products tend to fluctuate a lot in that department. Mcfk also have a 100kg rider weight limit on all their new products.

The main reason reason i stopped using Ax products is that i feel they aren't structurally sound. A lot of their saddles, seatpost, and bars tend to break while riding on harsh roads, and their customer service isn't all that great either. The last thing you want is being 60 miles out with a broken saddle.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

mcfk is wider and feels stable. the phoenix is also very good, and is more forgiving with the leafspring, but it is narrower. i prefer the wider saddle.

RyanH

by RyanH

Just another note on the saddles, the full carbon ones are usually a size smaller than you'd normally run. I found the 130mm MCFK to be similar to a 143mm Specialized Toupe in width. I prefer 125mm. The UD Mcfk Gen 2 saddles are about 10g heavier than the 3K weave Gen 1 saddles (79g vs 69).

I've heard from others that the Ax saddles have considerably less give than the Mcfk's.

PM me if you're interested in a 130mm UD Mcfk saddle.

cedced74

by cedced74

Hello,
I have the Ax Leaf model, wider than the Phoenix, and a little bit heavier too (79g for mine...)
But really, really comfy for me !

Kukula

by Kukula

Thank you guys for the inputs. I really appreciate it. For now I'm leaning towards Mcfk. Not only are they cheaper, but from the feedbacks seems more reliable. Besides I prefer the unidirectional CF as it matches my bike better. Once again, Thanks :)

multy74

by multy74

i use mcfk saddle. is lightweight
and good ride comfort.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

adrianlmp1246 wrote:I know full carbon saddles aren't meant for long rides

This isn't true. If the saddle fits you well, it won't matter. I've ridden an ax endurance since 2012 and done countless 100 mi, 200 km and even a few 200 mi rides and my saddle has never been an issue.

I don't think you can go wrong with either saddle, it's how the saddle will feel.
Speedplay is the devil!

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

I have an AX Leaf on one bike and a Berk 132 on another bike. Both have cutouts and are comfortable but the Berk has just a tad more flex on the wings making them slightly more comfortable.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I have both a SMUD and a Berk Lupina, both unpadded. The Berk is heavier than the SMUD by 5 grams, but both are equally comfortable. I've done multiple 200 and 300mile rides on both, super comfy and no issues on either in terms of the family jewels and related pipework. :D
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

mdeth1313 wrote:
adrianlmp1246 wrote:I know full carbon saddles aren't meant for long rides

This isn't true. If the saddle fits you well, it won't matter. I've ridden an ax endurance since 2012 and done countless 100 mi, 200 km and even a few 200 mi rides and my saddle has never been an issue.

I don't think you can go wrong with either saddle, it's how the saddle will feel.

Well said, mdeth1313. I've got the exact same positive experience here. I've ridden a San Selle Marco full carbon saddle (first Aspide Composite and now prev-gen Superleggera) for >5yrs. That includes loads of centuries and four one-day double centuries. If it fits your arse, you're good to go. You'll know if it doesn't. Things shouldn't go numb and nothing should hurt! That's not OK.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com