Pair SRM PC7 to non-SRM powermeter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Timmetje

by Timmetje

Hi,

First of all, I searched for some time but could not find an answer, sorry if it has already been discussed.

I own a SRM PC7 head unit and SRM powermeter. However, my bike is totaled and the SRM does not fit my new bike (due to different BB). I now have a new powermeter for my new bike and want to pair this to the SRM PC7 head unit. It would not be my first choice for a head unit, but it works nicely and - most importantly - I have it lying around.

I can pair the (Rotor) powermeter to the SRM PC7 head unit; the PC7 recognizes the meter and shows the correct ant number. However, no data seems to transfer to the PC7 - both power and cadence remain 0. Is the PC7 built to exclusively work with an SRM powermeter? Or might I be doing something wrong;)? If it is not possible, I guess I will sell the PC7 and switch to a garmin 500 or something similar.

sungod

by sungod

both use ant+ pwr profile, so it should be compatible, this from uk srm distributor suggests it's compatible... http://www.scientific-coaching.com/roto ... eters.html

is the pc7 firmware up to date?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

laspariahs

by laspariahs

Timmetje wrote:Hi,

First of all, I searched for some time but could not find an answer, sorry if it has already been discussed.

I own a SRM PC7 head unit and SRM powermeter. However, my bike is totaled and the SRM does not fit my new bike (due to different BB). I now have a new powermeter for my new bike and want to pair this to the SRM PC7 head unit. It would not be my first choice for a head unit, but it works nicely and - most importantly - I have it lying around.

I can pair the (Rotor) powermeter to the SRM PC7 head unit; the PC7 recognizes the meter and shows the correct ant number. However, no data seems to transfer to the PC7 - both power and cadence remain 0. Is the PC7 built to exclusively work with an SRM powermeter? Or might I be doing something wrong;)? If it is not possible, I guess I will sell the PC7 and switch to a garmin 500 or something similar.

I'm pretty sure that they PC7 will not work with other powermeters other than the SRM, and a quarq that is in SRM (GAM) mode.

Sorry to say but I think it is picking up the signal but cannot read the data, I remember reading that SRM used a modified ANT+ signal for the pc7, which is probably why it picks up the signal.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

if it does not work now, i would just get a proper unit like a garmin. it does not cost much and you could easily sell the pc7. or just put the srm on a compatible frame (buy a new bike frame!) :D

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Pretty sure PC7 will only work with SRM...

On the other hand, apparently the new PC8 will work with any ANT+ PM

http://www.srm.de/product/powercontrol-8/