De Rosa Protos vs Pinarello Dogma F8

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kukula

by Kukula

+1 on the Protos. I remembered when the Protos first came out, I was totally wet with drool. It was my dream bike. My LBS is a De Rosa dealer so I got in touch with him around November last year. Sadly there was no way he can set me up for a test ride. That was the deal braker for me. I have totally made it a policy to first test drive a bike I am purchasing. Anyhow I just love the looks of the Protos. And the ability to customize the paint will certainly add to its uniqueness. And unlike other bike companies who come up with a new model almost every season, with the De Rosa at least you can enjoy something for quite a while before a new model comes out. And yeah I still lust for a Protos :)

LionelB

by LionelB

Don't let the $1000 or $500 difference drive the decision. Decision should be based on fit and the one you prefer the most. Between the F8 and the Protos you cannot really go wrong.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

wheelsONfire wrote:Why not pick the bike that has best ride feel? Looks will fade out once you've seen it a few weeks, it's just a bike.

I would never trade ride feel for looks, i don't get why anyone should!?

I don't agree with that I think half a bikes appeal is the feeling it gives you when you look at it. These two are both raced in the Pro Peloton and have great pedigree. I think this should ease the buyers mind as to how they ride I'm sure the buyer could adapt to either. Fit is everything but it you already know your specs you should be able to tell if the frames geo will work for you.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

That's fine BlackMadone. I loved the looks of one of my previous bikes, but i never adapted so it only ended up with me throwing huge amounts to better it's

ride feel, before i realized the frame was uncomfortable. I can see the love for looks, but i would still not put it over how it rides.

If i ordered a custom bike, i would for sure pin down what i wanted in terms of geo, but also how i wanted it to ride.

I think extremely many companies can design a frame that is stiff as hell or light as a feather, but that is not something i would ask for.

What makes that bike special must be more than paint and shape.

I would not ever compare any amateur to a pro rider only in it to win. I am sure they can put another prio on their list, but would you seriously do?

Have you ever heard or seen a pro rider right out say, that bike, or those wheels are not good? Never happened i guess?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.