chain lube

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BRM

by BRM

mook0576 wrote:I'm using Morgan blue and it's using in many cycling teams

The only reason that some cycling teams use that brand is because its sponsered.
Nothing more nothing less.

:wink:

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I've tried a number of different lubes

Boeshield T9
Dumonde Tech
Muc-off Hydrophobic

I like the Dumont best.... it lubricates well, keeps things quiet and smooth and doesn't seem to collect too much gunk. The Muc-off is pretty close in terms of how well it performs, but damn the chain gets BLACK. I feel like it literally causes every little bit of nastiness that's ever collected in the chain to come out from the inside of the pins/rollers. The Boeshield is ok, but it seemed too thin to me, I ended up with a lot of splatter on the frame and wheels even after attempting to remove as much excess as I could.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Rock n Roll gold is fantastic. Thorough wipe and drops of lubricate takes under 5 minutes. I'm not sure why some wait 200+ km to lube the chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

russianbear

by russianbear

I've been using Wend Wax for the last couple months. I live in a really dry place so it's perfect for here, doesn't get dirty and keeps everything quiet. The application is unique as it comes in a deodorant like stick.

eurperg

by eurperg

There's a new chain lube coming out from the Finnish ski wax manufacturer Rex... The lube has apparently performed well in dyno tests, was already used in Richmond by the Finnish National Junior Team @fincycling and is being currently tested by an unnamed UCI team. They're also looking for distibutors... :wink:

Link to Rex Domestique Chain Lube pdf flyer

TimW

by TimW

MisterMuncher wrote:Out of interest, is Rock and Roll unavailable in Europe/UK at the minute? I can't seem to obtain Blue or Gold anywhere. Chain Reaction were selling the 16oz bottles dirt cheap a couple of years ago (£3 for blue, £5 for Gold, but only in-store, not online) and I had stocked up, bit now I've run out, and can't find any that isn't coming from US or Australia.

I use Rock N Roll Gold too. Great stuff, apply every other ride typically, or about 100-120km. Easy to keep clean too.

Used to use Prolink gold which was pretty good but RNR is lower friction apparently.

Squirt is truly terrible. Doesn't last long and just builds up waxy crap on the rings and jockey wheels which is a nightmare to remove.

Morgan Blue Rolls Pro for the winter bike.

I found new distributor in the UK for RNR and you can order direct:

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections ... -lubricant

thprice

by thprice

Been using Prolink Gold for years but finding WD40 Dry Lube pretty good

Bourquek

by Bourquek

Poulidor wrote:Sorry for asking so many questions but Weightweenies is more than just any other bicycle forum where... let's just leave it at that. Weightweenies rock the world.

So, what's your favorite chain lube, please...?

Another vote for Boeshield T-9 in the aerosol form. I think it works best when used after every ride by spraying on the top of the rollers followed by wiping down the sides of the chain by back peddling holding a rag.

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

I'm another one that has used WD40 pretty much exclusively for cleaning and lubing my chains. Not had any issues over the last 20+ years using it.

I'm quite obsessive with having a clean looking bike and to be fair, I do give the bikes a quick wash after nearly every ride and whilst i'm at it, I would typically spray the chain with a degreasing product first and then apply WD40 to an old rag and run the chain backwards through the WD40'd damp rag.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

TimW wrote:
MisterMuncher wrote:

I found new distributor in the UK for RNR and you can order direct:

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections ... -lubricant

Or Ribble.

BRM

by BRM

lone wheeler wrote:I'm another one that has used WD40 pretty much exclusively for cleaning and lubing my chains. Not had any issues over the last 20+ years using it.

I'm quite obsessive with having a clean looking bike and to be fair, I do give the bikes a quick wash after nearly every ride and whilst i'm at it, I would typically spray the chain with a degreasing product first and then apply WD40 to an old rag and run the chain backwards through the WD40'd damp rag.

Normal WD40 hardly lubes. Lousy product to lube your chain.
WD40 is a multispray, means on all levels it can do something it wil perform mediocre, inherent to multisprays.
But there is a chainlube from WD40 these days that does the job.

See my comment on page 4
Last edited by BRM on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

BRM

by BRM

Bourquek wrote:
Poulidor wrote:Sorry for asking so many questions but Weightweenies is more than just any other bicycle forum where... let's just leave it at that. Weightweenies rock the world.

So, what's your favorite chain lube, please...?

Another vote for Boeshield T-9 in the aerosol form. I think it works best when used after every ride by spraying on the top of the rollers followed by wiping down the sides of the chain by back peddling holding a rag.

Not recommended to use the aerosol variant on your bike because the spray gets everwhere you dont want it.
The aerosol variant is nice when you use the product for other things like spraying tools to protect them.

wielracer

by wielracer

Neoval for 4 years now, for me the perfect lube.

AJS914

by AJS914

Regular WD40 is also contains a stinky solvent. If you ever put your bike inside your car, you'll notice. :-)

grouk

by grouk

thprice wrote:Been using Prolink Gold for years but finding WD40 Dry Lube pretty good

where do you get it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com