chain lube

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeDee

by MikeDee

ultimobici wrote:
BikeAnon wrote:WD40. Great clean AND lube. Really, it's a lube.

But you need to clean and lube EVERY TIME.

This is a terrible subject by the way. There are no right or wrong answers. It's like asking what it the best thing to put in your water bottle.
WD40 is NOT chain lube. It's a penetrating fluid and water displacer. Appealing stuff to use on a bike chain.

This is an often repeated myth. WD40 may not be a good chain lube, but it is a lubricant as it contains a light oil. Read the labeling on the can if you don't believe me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Agreed, thank you for pointing this out. I have always thought that saying WD40 automatically has no lubricating properties simply because it can be used as a solvent and was originally created as a water displacer is a bit akin to saying that David Beckham is a footballer and therefore can't be a fashion model/icon, family man, etc...or and iPhone is a telephone, and therefore can't be a computer, time waster, etc... In other words, things can have properties that provide utility in a variety of applications.

Now if you want to argue that the the thing is crappy when used in certain applications in comparison to more specialized products, then that is fine, but it is a little closed minded to say it has no utility in that application at all, no matter what.

kode54

by kode54

SpeedyChix wrote:
kode54 wrote:i use Pro Link to clean and lube. after wiping off for cleaning...i go back and apply 10-12 drops of Nixfrixshun on the chain and i can hear less noise as i apply it.

Have you used NFS w/o the Pro Link? Or are you using Pro Link as more of a cleaner?
Chain is decidedly quieter as the NFS gets moved around.

i haven't just used NFS by itself...Pro Link more as a cleaner/semi-lube in case i missed some spots. once i put NFS on, the chain makes less noise even with a clean Pro Link lubricated chain. and that's with just using 10-12 drops along the chain and running it through a bit.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Pieter

by Pieter

Have used (mainly on mtb):

Squirt: Very clean and good in dry conditions. Not long lasting in wet conditions.
Muc Off C3 Dry Ceramic Lube: Better in mud as above, but not so clean (also not really dirty (black)).

Where to buy chain-l in Europe?

Spanglo

by Spanglo

Bought some Squirt last weekend... it's nice having such a clean looking chain. Works as advertised.

Bogan

by Bogan

I use whatever is lying around. FinishLine and sometimes a blast from the past, something I was using 30+ years ago, Triflow. A few weeks ago I had a very wet ride and stopped somewhere where there was no bike lubes, but they had some Singer sewing machine oil. It was fine.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

Rex

by Rex

How many km's does squirt last in dry weather?

Delorre

by Delorre

Rex wrote:How many km's does squirt last in dry weather?

I've used it all summmer, and have to say, I'm not that impressed. OK, chain stays fairly clean for let's say 500 or so km's, but after that, you have to 'clean' it using a dry rag. Takes 1 minute, not more, so OK, but the drive train don't stay much cleaner than lubed with finish line dry lube.

The real complaint with squirt, is that the drivetrain don't run smoothly and is fairly noisy. When squirt dries up, it becomes really sticky and that create a lot of drag in the drivetrain. I also don't have the impression that the product does a great job in actually 'lubing' the chain.

Happy Finish Line dry user again, as before I used Squirt.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Out of interest, is Rock and Roll unavailable in Europe/UK at the minute? I can't seem to obtain Blue or Gold anywhere. Chain Reaction were selling the 16oz bottles dirt cheap a couple of years ago (£3 for blue, £5 for Gold, but only in-store, not online) and I had stocked up, bit now I've run out, and can't find any that isn't coming from US or Australia.

BRM

by BRM

I read somewhere that Rock and Roll stopped selling on the UK market. It looks that they completely stopped in total Europe.

jeffy

by jeffy

process:
    1. wet chain as part of a general hose down of bike
    2. apply degreaser with brush to chain / mechs, and chainrings (try and remember to thread a cloth between crank and seat tube to stop degreaser running into BB).
    3. clean rest of bike (soap suds and sponge, stiff/soft brushes as required such as mechs and jockey wheels)
    4. hose down bike to remove suds / degreaser
    5. spray GT45 generously into rag and wrap around chain
    6. turn cranks
    7. wait short time to dry (if doing whole bike, use this time for thorough wash of wheels)
    8. drop of White Lightening Epic into each chain roller, leave for moment
    9. remove excess with rag & change through the gears

for a quick chain-only service, steps 5-9 by themselves sorts most niggles.

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

Rock n Roll is great!

Don't use White Lightning. After about 50 miles of dusty Colorado riding, it just squeaks and squeaks for the remaining 54.8 miles.

MikeDee

by MikeDee

Spanglo wrote:Bought some Squirt last weekend... it's nice having such a clean looking chain. Works as advertised.

+1 on Squirt.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

continuum wrote:Finish Line Ceramic Wax Lube

Just bought this stuff. After applying I think it cancels chain noise quite well. I am going to ride it tomorrow so I hope to be twice as fast as normal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mook0576

by mook0576

I'm using Morgan blue and it's using in many cycling teams

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com