chain lube

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DeLuz

by DeLuz

Rock N Roll Gold.
DuMonde works well too but seems stickier.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cedced74

by cedced74

Squirt Lube for me : clean, easy to use, seems to be very efficient...

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

Muc Off Dry Lube here in Los Angeles where there is nothing but sunshine year-round.

kode54

by kode54

i use Pro Link to clean and lube. after wiping off for cleaning...i go back and apply 10-12 drops of Nixfrixshun on the chain and i can hear less noise as i apply it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Here's a fun fact for all the WD40 users. Do you know what that stands for? Well it was developed as a rust inhibitor and water displacing product but over the years has seen something like 2000 different uses. People must drink the stuff. Anyway, it's secret formula is locked away in a vault somewhere but the WD stands for Water Displacement, and the 40 represents the 40th attempt at getting it right. Was driving today and they had some interesting segment on the radio of all things, WD40. Personally I use it to maybe rub on steel tools and taps and dies and things that may not get much use but are prone to rusting with no treatment. For chain lube it's Duomonde Tech for me. Clean every 200 miles or so with soapy water and park cleaning tool. Chain stays on for its life unless I need to change from a std chainring combo to a compact combo and only then will I break the chain to remove a couple links and rejoin with a proper campy pin, peened upon closing.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

BRM

by BRM

Again Original WD40 is a multispray (does different things and most of them just average) The best thing it does is cleaning.

Besides the Original WD40. they launched other products onder de brand name WD40, not known to most people yet.

So you have dry- and also wet chainlube from WD40 and some cleaning and protector stuff. Click the link>>
http://www.wd40bike.com/

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

kode54 wrote:i use Pro Link to clean and lube. after wiping off for cleaning...i go back and apply 10-12 drops of Nixfrixshun on the chain and i can hear less noise as i apply it.

Have you used NFS w/o the Pro Link? Or are you using Pro Link as more of a cleaner?
Chain is decidedly quieter as the NFS gets moved around.
adrenaline junkie

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I tried on Rock 'n Roll Gold for the first time and I'm impressed! The chain seemed quieter and faster. And the chain definitely looks a lot cleaner and not gunk up like ProLink.

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

+1 for Rock 'n Roll Gold.

More generically:
1. Something that has PTFE in a volatile carrier seems 'best' in the sense that the carrier partly evaporates so it doesn't pick up loads of clag but gets into places it should be and leaves the PTFE behind
2. I run the chain through a cloth to get the visible crud off after every ride, and apply a little extra lube and let it soak in
3. I wipe the excess lube off before the next ride, which in practical terms removes excess lube from places it won't be 'lubing' and would instead be attracting crud.

And, occasionally, the chain gets a thorough clean, dry and relube.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

For those using Rock 'n Roll how often do you apply the lube?

BhSimon

by BhSimon

pdlpsher1 wrote:For those using Rock 'n Roll how often do you apply the lube?

Once a fortnight for me. About 700kms.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Oh, about every 200 miles or so. Your drive train will get a little more noisy and then you know it's time.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

continuum

by continuum

Finish Line Ceramic Wax Lube

corky

by corky

http://www.NIXFRIXSHUN.COM........NFS

Best noise canceling transmission lube on the planet

Made by people who ride bikes.....

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

pdlpsher1 wrote:For those using Rock 'n Roll how often do you apply the lube?

About every other ride. (where ride = 30-50 miles)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com