chain lube

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I don't remember from which magazine this was.

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

Friction Facts

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

CTracer wrote:I have tried everything. For me Rock&Roll is the best for most conditions unless you are riding in the rain/wet. In that case a wet lube (Muc Off is nice) is the way to go since you will be washing your bike right after the ride.

I agree, I've been using Rock&Roll Gold for a few years now it works really well. It's very easy to keep the chain clean. In winter for UK conditions I've found that Muc Off Wet to be the best at keeping the chain running smoothly in wet, slushy, salty conditions where other lubes are washed off after a couple of hours and shifting noticeably degrades. As you say, after that type of ride it doesn't matter if the chain is black because it's getting degreased anyway.

BRM

by BRM

TheKaiser wrote:I'm not arguing with your experience but isn't Dumonde Tech the stuff that is supposed to harden into a plastic like substance, essentially creating thin plastic bushings on your chain contact surfaces? I thought that was their pitch, and I had a small sample bottle that I messed about with and it seemed to really harden up, which I why I find your description of it being greasy to be discordant.

Dumonde has a full range of products.
http://dumondetech.com/products/

canoas

by canoas

TheKaiser wrote:
canoas wrote:On my race bike I degrease after most rides. What I mean by Metal contact is that most of the components these days are carbon or non metallic. I remember when starting in 1986, I would watch the old guys lube the bike, much more was required, in fact I still have an old Italian magazine in late 80's showing where to lube your bike. They oil on front mech, rear mech, jockey wheels, front and rear brake and cassette. I could probably scan it for you and post for you to have a look at.

Oh, now I see what you meant. I was thinking in strictly chain terms before, and they seem to have just as much metal as always. No need to scan the mag, I've seen the suggestions too, giving a drop of lube to all pivot points etc...

With Phil Wood Tenacious, what are you using as a degreaser? That stuff is tough!

Thank you for the elaboration BTW.

Morgan Blue chain degreaser - Made in Belgium

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

TheKaiser wrote:
Zigmeister wrote:I also have Dumonde Tech's bike chain lube. The dark blue. It really makes the drive train whisper quiet, shifting if smooth as anything. One big downside, it picks up dirt like crazy. They say just keep wiping it off/do a basic clean of the chain and don't lube it again until it starts to make noise, but that dirty drive train/chain/cogs/rings etc...and my OCD...no way. I've kind of been doing 3 pro link lubes, then maybe a Dumonde Tech, just to use it up and feel I haven't wasted my money, but it gets so dirty, honestly, I'm about to toss it or give it away.

They claim the Dumonde Tech keeps the drive train cleaner longer...I haven't found that to be the case. But it is real hard to get off, even after an every 3 month park tool cleaner with paint thinner treatment, sill greasy somewhat.

http://dumondetech.com/portfolio/bicycl ... l-formula/

I'm not arguing with your experience but isn't Dumonde Tech the stuff that is supposed to harden into a plastic like substance, essentially creating thin plastic bushings on your chain contact surfaces? I thought that was their pitch, and I had a small sample bottle that I messed about with and it seemed to really harden up, which I why I find your description of it being greasy to be discordant.

Have you ever tried dripping a bit on the workbench and letting it set for a while to see what it does? You can hit it with a hairdryer if you are in a rush. I find that to be a good test to verify the lube manufacturers claims as to the "dryness" of the cured lube.

No, it does not harden like plastic. It is oily still, they claim it "bonds" with the metal of a clean chain making for a very low friction...blah...blah...blah. It does stick, and hard to clean off, but picks up dirt horribly. Going to just finish my Pro Gold and switch to the Rock and Roll Gold, it is low friction, cleans/lubes all in one...sounds like the best stuff.

I use the Dumonde Tech to lube squeky doors/hinges around the house, it is great for that...not so much on a bike chain I found. But it is VERY quiet on the drivetrain, 50% noise I would say easily. So, if you don't mind the dirt/cleaning of it often, and quiet drivetrain, Dumonde is good stuff.

eurperg

by eurperg

Rex Domestique Chain Lube 10/10 in MBR, and I agree with reviewer. (Except that Rex did a lot better in FrictionFacts tests than ProGold...)

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

addict30 wrote:Finish Line is good!!

That is very valuable information, thank you for enlightening all of us. :roll:

Asteroid

by Asteroid

A couple on this thread did not like White Lightning. My experience with the wax-based Clean Ride version (over twenty years!) has always been great here in sunny Southern California. My chain stays remarkably clean and does not attract dirt, dust, or grease. Because of that, my components like rings, cassettes, and pulleys last an incredibly long time. Rarely ever spot grit on any of those parts.

I generally buy the 8oz bottle on eBay for about $11, which lasts me close to 3,000 miles over a six-month span, with a weekly application each 100 miles.
Steps:
1. drape old bath towel under drivetrain to protect rims and pavement.
2. squirt in an open gap between crank & derailleur liberally while backpedaling.
3. use the towel (slightly wet portion from overspray) to wipe both sides of outer links.
4. use dry portion of towel to wipe pulleys and rings, along with rim and frame if any found its way onto it.
5. let dry for an hour (usually overnight, since I apply immediately after a ride).

It takes three minutes, tops. Your results may vary.
Oldbie

MikeD

by MikeD

Zigmeister wrote:
TheKaiser wrote:
Zigmeister wrote:I also have Dumonde Tech's bike chain lube. The dark blue. It really makes the drive train whisper quiet, shifting if smooth as anything. One big downside, it picks up dirt like crazy. They say just keep wiping it off/do a basic clean of the chain and don't lube it again until it starts to make noise, but that dirty drive train/chain/cogs/rings etc...and my OCD...no way. I've kind of been doing 3 pro link lubes, then maybe a Dumonde Tech, just to use it up and feel I haven't wasted my money, but it gets so dirty, honestly, I'm about to toss it or give it away.

They claim the Dumonde Tech keeps the drive train cleaner longer...I haven't found that to be the case. But it is real hard to get off, even after an every 3 month park tool cleaner with paint thinner treatment, sill greasy somewhat.

http://dumondetech.com/portfolio/bicycl ... l-formula/

I'm not arguing with your experience but isn't Dumonde Tech the stuff that is supposed to harden into a plastic like substance, essentially creating thin plastic bushings on your chain contact surfaces? I thought that was their pitch, and I had a small sample bottle that I messed about with and it seemed to really harden up, which I why I find your description of it being greasy to be discordant.

Have you ever tried dripping a bit on the workbench and letting it set for a while to see what it does? You can hit it with a hairdryer if you are in a rush. I find that to be a good test to verify the lube manufacturers claims as to the "dryness" of the cured lube.

No, it does not harden like plastic. It is oily still, they claim it "bonds" with the metal of a clean chain making for a very low friction...blah...blah...blah. It does stick, and hard to clean off, but picks up dirt horribly. Going to just finish my Pro Gold and switch to the Rock and Roll Gold, it is low friction, cleans/lubes all in one...sounds like the best stuff.

I use the Dumonde Tech to lube squeky doors/hinges around the house, it is great for that...not so much on a bike chain I found. But it is VERY quiet on the drivetrain, 50% noise I would say easily. So, if you don't mind the dirt/cleaning of it often, and quiet drivetrain, Dumonde is good stuff.

I've been using Dumonde Tech Lite on my mountain bike chain. It picks up little dirt. I'm not sure why my experience is opposite from yours. According to the FAQ on the Dumonde website, you are supposed to thoroughly clean and degrease the chain before first application. Could be the old lube and dirt interfering with the Dumonde. Maybe you applied too much or too often as well.
Last edited by MikeD on Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

sawyer

by sawyer

My favourite right now is Purple Extreme. Quiet and smooth shifting, but does pick up a bit of dirt and needs a quick wipe with a baby wipe after a ride

Rock and Roll Gold keeps it clean but needs re-applied after every ride which is just too much for my time poor existence

Finish Line Dry is good - somewhere in the middle. Certainly keeps the chain clean.

Muc-off dry I find to attract too much dirt. Similar but slightly inferior to Purple Extreme
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Rick

by Rick

I am back to enjoying the properties of T-9 Boeshield.
Probably not "the best" at anything, but lubes well enough and stays remarkably clean.

ArtV

by ArtV

I switched from Squirt to Lillylube as I was tired of all the gunk buildup in the jockey wheels.

I cannot believe how much quieter the chain is with Lillylube. It seems to be a much better lubricant though I have nothing empirical to support this.

Much of my riding has been indoors so far so I cannot comment on it picking up dirt.

AJS914

by AJS914

Asteroid wrote:A couple on this thread did not like White Lightning. My experience with the wax-based Clean Ride version (over twenty years!) has always been great here in sunny Southern California.

Back in the day, like 25 years ago I used to be a die hard White Lightning user. In the end I quit using it because the wax build-up that always happens. I would just end up with messy, gross derailleur pulleys.

I'm a Rock N Roll gold believer. It is thin and needs to be applied every few rides but I like the cleaning and lubing all in one shot approach. Everything stays clean enough that I'll only do one full bike wash when installing a new chain. I also wipe my bike down after rides so it stays looking clean all the time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

i've been using ProLink for some time...mainly as a degreaser of some sort. then i apply rock n roll gold after the ProLink air dries. works pretty well.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc