Chris King Ti headset on a Ti frame...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

20_bandh

by 20_bandh

Ti tends to bond at molecular level which is why it is very important to use Ti prep. I have a TI frame and am running a normal CK headset. I consider a Ti Headset to be too expensive, the bearings are exactly the same as in a normal CK headset. The only benefit of Ti apart from the bling factor is that there is no paint to wear off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

babylou

by babylou

divve wrote:Isn't seizing an issue between two dissimilar metals? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Ti with Ti is pretty much inert. Just press them in with some good thick grease IMO.

Seizing, aka galling, is common amongst similar metals. Stainless steels are especially troublesome. The issue with dissimilar materials is the potential for a chemical reaction known as galvanic corrosion. Aluminum with Stainless Steel is a bad combo for this.

Sleg8

by Sleg8

local mechanic, who himself rides a ti mtb, reccomends that you use a copper grease, its copper in color, not cheap (in grease prices), and you will only need to do it once, copper grease is made up of copper powder in a grease like substance, this will also ensure a creak free bike.l
"All I ask is the heavens above and the road below"

turbo pepper

by turbo pepper

divve wrote:Real world should be backed up by theory or it's not real world :wink:

It's like the old French phrase: "of course it works in the real world, but does it work in theory ?"

Sleg8 wrote:local mechanic, who himself rides a ti mtb, reccomends that you use a copper grease, its copper in color, not cheap (in grease prices), and you will only need to do it once, copper grease is made up of copper powder in a grease like substance, this will also ensure a creak free bike.

This is the same as Finishline Ti Prep. It is ten euros (ten dollars ?) and if you do not get much, you don't need much. Just avoid all contact with your clothes or carpet, it'll ruin it, there's some bleaching agent inside I think.

divve

by divve

babylou wrote:
divve wrote:Isn't seizing an issue between two dissimilar metals? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Ti with Ti is pretty much inert. Just press them in with some good thick grease IMO.

Seizing, aka galling, is common amongst similar metals. Stainless steels are especially troublesome. The issue with dissimilar materials is the potential for a chemical reaction known as galvanic corrosion. Aluminum with Stainless Steel is a bad combo for this.

I did some research and found that titanium sliding against titanium under pressure indeed tends to gall or stick.

Anti-seize (aside from being a lubricant) resists galvanic attack by sacrificing the metals contained in the compound in preference of the metals parts of the assembly.

There are three conditions that must exist for galvanic corrosion to occur. First there must be two electrochemically dissimilar metals present. Second, there must be an electrically conductive path between the two metals. And third, there must be a conductive path for the metal ions to move from the more anodic metal to the more cathodic metal. If any one of these three conditions does not exist, galvanic corrosion will not occur.

Being that ti to ti assembly isn't susceptible to galvanic corrosion, only a suitable form of lubrication is required (as far as I can tell).

weiwentg

by weiwentg

I have first hand experience with ti galling to ti. I broke my leg at the tibial plateau, just under the kneecap. the surgeon put a ti pin in, with ti screws. later, it was removed - I was having trouble running, and it could have been the pin or it could have been the fascia tear in my shin, so the surgeon fixed both. during the operation (this is what he told me), the screws had cold-welded to the pin, so they had to enlarge the incisions and cut the plate out.