Pinarello F8 & Cervelo R5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MrRouleur

by MrRouleur

Just wondering if anyone else was caught up in the dilemma of choosing between the F8 or R5. I've ridden the R5 but it seems as of late I have been finding people raving on about the F8.

I was wondering how does the F8 compare with the R5 in terms of crit racing and riding on rolling roads. Is the F8 as smooth or harsher than the R5 ? Is it a lot more stiffer than the R5 ?

PSM

by PSM

F8 is cooler.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Crit racing? None, too nice to crash out. Get a Cannondale CAAD with Force and then whatever else you want for the group rides. Both are great bikes but I don't consider the F8 a crit bike.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

mimason wrote:Crit racing? None, too nice to crash out. Get a Cannondale CAAD with Force and then whatever else you want for the group rides. Both are great bikes but I don't consider the F8 a crit bike.

very much this. Maybe a Caad, Allez Sprint or Giant Propel Al, they seem like great crit racing bikes.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

This probably a case of 'is the grass greener over the fence' when you're sitting in a luscious field.

I've only ridden the R5 for ~10km, but it has one of the better pedaling platforms Ive experienced. Its an excellent climbing bike whose BB genuinely provides that feeling of explosive acceleration. On the downside I found just cruising along, the bike didnt have much personality. Thats probably where the F8 trumps the R5.

The comments about whether you should or shouldnt be riding these bikes in a crit are a little silly. Its all about your willingness and capacity to absorb the risk associated with racing. Just because someone else isnt willing to deal with the risk, doesnt mean you shouldnt.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Zitter

by Zitter

Unless you're a cat 1/pro, be prepared to get laughed at if you show up at a crit on an F8. If you want a nice high end crit/rolling bike that won't seem out of place, I'd go with a Cervelo S3

tinozee

by tinozee

F8 for pure joy riding or real road races. Propel AL for pure crit hell. The marc pro Herbalife propels look sick.

MrRouleur

by MrRouleur

thanks for the feedback so far. I agree you need to manage the dangers of crit racing yourself.

The races I have been to people race on all sorts of high end bikes which makes me feel rather poverty stricken. As I haven't updated my bike in years and I am looking for something rather exceptional in terms of ride quality and responsiveness.

Perhaps it easier to ask what sort of riding is the F8 geared towards ? Not having ridden a F8 before and looking at the frame alone, I feel it's going to be a rather stiff ride and perhaps back breaking. The R5 would probably be more forgiving than the F8 ?

Is the R5 descends and corners just as well as the F8 depending on the rider's comfort levels ?

Anyone actually ridden a F8 that could share their own riding experiences ?

@zappafile123 can you elaborate more on "On the downside I found just cruising along, the bike didnt have much personality" ?

ALS

by ALS

I have to admit I can't imagine using an F8 as a crit bike but for my money (literally - i bought one) its the best all round road frame. Definately not back breaking btw

sharkman

by sharkman

Propel AL for pure crit hell. The marc pro Herbalife propels look sick.

Your right about those herbalife Propels, they are nice as long as there isn't an ISP version around (somehow that looks way better in real life).
But it's all about money and pricewice I would be able to live without a rigid seatpost.

CEVelo

by CEVelo

MrRouleur wrote:thanks for the feedback so far. I agree you need to manage the dangers of crit racing yourself.

The races I have been to people race on all sorts of high end bikes which makes me feel rather poverty stricken. As I haven't updated my bike in years and I am looking for something rather exceptional in terms of ride quality and responsiveness.

Perhaps it easier to ask what sort of riding is the F8 geared towards ? Not having ridden a F8 before and looking at the frame alone, I feel it's going to be a rather stiff ride and perhaps back breaking. The R5 would probably be more forgiving than the F8 ?

Is the R5 descends and corners just as well as the F8 depending on the rider's comfort levels ?

Anyone actually ridden a F8 that could share their own riding experiences ?

@zappafile123 can you elaborate more on "On the downside I found just cruising along, the bike didnt have much personality" ?

Got my F8 (54cm, full DA DI2, Enve 3.4 clinchers, Zipp SL70 bar, Selle SLR flow saddle, Arundel cages) this spring and have ridden it around 1,500miles since. The bike is amazing (other bikes i have are Cervelo S3 and R3, plus spend considerable time on a Trek Madone frame). It rides quite similar to the S3, but is actually a bit more compliant and more comfortable yet. It also spins up like nothing else and corners really well. Really nothing left to wish for in a bike. Does it make me faster? Probably not, but each ride is great on it and leaves me smiling. My only though sometimes is that if you really want super light weight bike (e.g. below 15lbs), you need run a set of tubulars as it's hard to hit 15 or below on clinchers. My build (above) weight in at around ~15.3lbs. (actually never had it on a scale)

zappafile123

by zappafile123

MrRouleur wrote:

Take this with a grain of salt because I rode the bike for 20mins about 5 months ago. Thats not really a sufficient amount of time to develop a proper opinion. I imagine some will disagree with my appraisal.

I rode a stock 2015 R5 with DA9000 Di2 and Hed Ardennes LT (or SL I cant remember). Its pretty difficult to articulate why a bike lacks personality, principally because its the absence of something distinctive or interesting about the way it rides. I found it to have a pretty run off the mill carbon buzz over tarmac. It provided slightly muted road feedback without being particularly comfortable. It didnt feel all that lively, or full of energy riding at endurance pace, but the feeling was more just of a dull carbon hum as you cruised long. The only thing that was amazing was when you put the power down. Thats when the bike burst out of its hum drum nondescript road feel into something with a bit of energy.
This is all a bit vague and not very specific but frankly it was simply boring to ride unless you put it to task.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

MrRouleur

by MrRouleur

@zappafile123 My test ride of the R5 was about 2 hours through hills. I was surprised how well I could ride it up hill. I've ridden a Tarmac 2015 and it was only 20mins or so but it didn't feel too exciting.

@CEVelo I read through your extensive F8 vs C60 thread, some interesting feedback in there.

I am torn between the looks of the F8 and R5. R5 is the classical road frame while the F8 is rather modern and makes me wonder how long Pinarello will keep the F8 till F9 comes out with a more radical design and makes the F8 feel rather out dated.

Mind you I am riding a rather out dated frame at the moment but I don't feel outdated while riding. Only the annoyance of riding a frame that feels soft.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

One thing you can put money on is a new dogma in about 12 months time. They've managed a new one every 18 months or so since 2009.

em3

by em3

MrRouleur wrote:n between the looks of the F8 and R5. R5 is the classical road frame while the F8 is rather modern and makes me wonder how long Pinarello will keep the F8 till F9 comes out with a more radical design and makes the F8 feel rather out dated.

...u do realize that the R5 was just recently updated with aero refinements and that the F8 is Pinarello's newest design...in other words, both are the LATEST design. Worrying what new tech is around the corner when the newest tech is available now, is a fools errand (respectively) and an endless loop.

BTW, here is an interesting review by Tour Magazine highlighting how the new aero R5 design (designated in lightweight frame category) compares with full aero design bikes.
http://www.cervelo.com/media/docs/Tour- ... 944f-2.PDF

Keep in mind that the geometry on these two frames is quite different....while you can probably dial in contact points to match on both frames, your position over the bike might be quite different. So in the end, what fits best will be the best choice.

Hopefully you can ride both and do so with similar equipment (at least the same wheels) and get a feel for what works for u. Good luck EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com