Pinarello F8 & Cervelo R5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fastfwd

by Fastfwd

I recently bought a R5 and while I can't comment on how it compares to the F8 I can comment on why I decided on the R5. I'm still fairly new to cycling. I started in the spring of 2014 and bought my first proper road bike about 12 months ago. So, you can take my opinion with that in mind.

I wanted a bike that was going to be well suited to my preference of riding longer distances with the possibility of going to events where there could be significant climbing involved. If I'm going to travel to events I might choose to travel to events where it is scenic. In my case when I say events I am referencing gran fondos, centuries, metrics, etc.

I've taken the R5 out three times now for about 150 miles. My initial impression was of amazement in how smooth it was over the same roads that I've been riding an aluminum endurance style bike. Some of that was probably due to me having gravitated toward higher tire pressures (almost always over 100psi at least) on my aluminum bike over the last year in effort to keep the rolling resistance as low as possible, but possibly not really giving the best benefit of comfort to rolling resistance. Regardless, the R5 just glides over the rough pavement that I previously came to sense dread to know I was about to cross over what was going to vibrate my teeth fillings out.

The wheels are the LT version btw. I gather they possibly don't have the better hubs of the SL or Black editions of the same wheels, but they are still pretty hard to beat for weight I gather. They might be considered to be a little on the soft side by some as opposed to super stiff possibly? The bike rides really nice with them.

I also do love the feeling of thrust from pedal effort. I haven't been able to take it out to tackle any climbing to speak of, but the few small inclines I've encountered that I've stepped on it I've realized the psychological boost to feeling like every ounce of effort is thrusting me forward.

My bike came in at 15.04lbs btw with the probably relatively heavy pedals in weight weenie terms that I used (Shimano SPD A600 - 286 grams for the pair). I've got the 2015 Dura Ace mechanical version that I found a pretty good deal on I wasn't expecting.

That doesn't really answer how well it would do with crit racing vs the Pinarello, but maybe it helps provide context to why I chose it. I very specifically looked past other bikes that I though were more geared toward crit racing like the Emonda which seems to have a reputation of transmitting more 'road feel' that I would interpret to not be desirable over longer distances. This might be what other posters have described as not having 'personality' while riding it too IDK. I personally put a prize on hoping for it to actually have a little more muted road buzz feel than some other offerings.

I'm sure you could rip up some crit races on it too if that's what you wanted to do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pechacheli

by Pechacheli

Evening...

Slightly off the subject but I've been considering an F8 however can't decide because of the C60!

Any advice?

P

RyanH

by RyanH

Zitter wrote:Unless you're a cat 1/pro, be prepared to get laughed at if you show up at a crit on an F8. If you want a nice high end crit/rolling bike that won't seem out of place, I'd go with a Cervelo S3

Maybe in Riverside, but on the west side I've seen people in all categories show up on pretty much everything without most people blinking an eye. If anything, the only thing I've seen people smirk about are those that show up on an S5 with full aero kit and aero helmet.

Ebruner

by Ebruner

No brainer to me. The f8 has a BSA BB. C60 and R5 have that press fit garbage.

-Eddie

Pechacheli wrote:Evening...

Slightly off the subject but I've been considering an F8 however can't decide because of the C60!

Any advice?

P

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

The f8 had an Italian threaded bb, not bsa. And yes while I favor threaded bb's myself, I would never choose a frame solely based on the bb. Not all press fit systems are garbage. Many work perfectly fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nga

by nga

Ebruner wrote:No brainer to me. The f8 has a BSA BB. C60 and R5 have that press fit garbage.

-Eddie

C60's BB86 implementation [1] works pretty well for me. As well as BSA stuff from my previous bikes.

[1] It's a non-weenie heavy thingy with threaded aluminium cups where you press the bearings.

MrRouleur

by MrRouleur

Fastfwd wrote:I also do love the feeling of thrust from pedal effort.

I wholeheartedly agree with your observations including the pedal effort. That's one of the things I remember the most from my test ride and how smooth it was to ride.

CEVelo

by CEVelo

"Got my F8 (54cm, full DA DI2, Enve 3.4 clinchers, Zipp SL70 bar, Selle SLR flow saddle, Arundel cages) this spring and have ridden it around 1,500miles since. The bike is amazing (other bikes i have are Cervelo S3 and R3, plus spend considerable time on a Trek Madone frame). It rides quite similar to the S3, but is actually a bit more compliant and more comfortable yet. It also spins up like nothing else and corners really well. Really nothing left to wish for in a bike. Does it make me faster? Probably not, but each ride is great on it and leaves me smiling. My only though sometimes is that if you really want super light weight bike (e.g. below 15lbs), you need run a set of tubulars as it's hard to hit 15 or below on clinchers. My build (above) weight in at around ~15.3lbs. (actually never had it on a scale)"

UPDATED: Just had my F8 on a scale. It comes in at 15lb 6oz (6.96kg). How can i put it on a 200gram diet to hit closer to 6.8kg?
I suspect it comes down to wheels?

Full details:

Dogma F8 (54)
Full DA Di2, 50/34 and 11-28 cassette.
DA Bottom Bracket
DA pedals
Arundel Cages x2
3T Team stem 120mm
Zipp SL70 bar 40cm
Selle SLR Flow Saddle (Ti model)
Garmin barfly

My current wheelset is the Enve 3.4 clinchers with CK45 ceramic hubs and Continental GP4000SII23mm. Thinking a lightweight tubular set would do the trick, but would love to get to 6.8 or just below on clinchers if at all possible.

After all, this is WW, so figured i would ask if anyone would do anything different?

survivor

by survivor

CEVelo wrote:"Got my F8 (54cm, full DA DI2, Enve 3.4 clinchers, Zipp SL70 bar, Selle SLR flow saddle, Arundel cages) this spring and have ridden it around 1,500miles since. The bike is amazing (other bikes i have are Cervelo S3 and R3, plus spend considerable time on a Trek Madone frame). It rides quite similar to the S3, but is actually a bit more compliant and more comfortable yet. It also spins up like nothing else and corners really well. Really nothing left to wish for in a bike. Does it make me faster? Probably not, but each ride is great on it and leaves me smiling. My only though sometimes is that if you really want super light weight bike (e.g. below 15lbs), you need run a set of tubulars as it's hard to hit 15 or below on clinchers. My build (above) weight in at around ~15.3lbs. (actually never had it on a scale)"

UPDATED: Just had my F8 on a scale. It comes in at 15lb 6oz (6.96kg). How can i put it on a 200gram diet to hit closer to 6.8kg?
I suspect it comes down to wheels?

Full details:

Dogma F8 (54)
Full DA Di2, 50/34 and 11-28 cassette.
DA Bottom Bracket
DA pedals
Arundel Cages x2
3T Team stem 120mm
Zipp SL70 bar 40cm
Selle SLR Flow Saddle (Ti model)
Garmin barfly

My current wheelset is the Enve 3.4 clinchers with CK45 ceramic hubs and Continental GP4000SII23mm. Thinking a lightweight tubular set would do the trick, but would love to get to 6.8 or just below on clinchers if at all possible.

After all, this is WW, so figured i would ask if anyone would do anything different?

Mine is less than 15lbs with ENVE 4.5 but that could very well be the smaller 47 frame size that I have compare to yours 54. There are lighter saddle and padel out there if you are looking for weight savings.

CEVelo

by CEVelo

"Mine is less than 15lbs with ENVE 4.5 but that could very well be the smaller 47 frame size that I have compare to yours 54. There are lighter saddle and padel out there if you are looking for weight savings."

Are you running Enve 4.5 Clinchers or Tubulars? What other parts are on your 47cm build? I am not sure where my weight is at. Perhaps my $5 tubes with valve extensions, saddle, bar and stem sums it up?

LionelB

by LionelB

change your wheels to tubulars.

mimason

by mimason

Common suggestions to lower weight: light skewers,ti bolts,carbon rail saddle, light tubes, lighter brakes, lighter pedals, tubulars, sram cassette....etc

survivor

by survivor

CEVelo wrote:"Mine is less than 15lbs with ENVE 4.5 but that could very well be the smaller 47 frame size that I have compare to yours 54. There are lighter saddle and padel out there if you are looking for weight savings."

Are you running Enve 4.5 Clinchers or Tubulars? What other parts are on your 47cm build? I am not sure where my weight is at. Perhaps my $5 tubes with valve extensions, saddle, bar and stem sums it up?

I am running Enve 4.5 Clinchers CK45 hub with ceramic bearing and GP4000II tires. I initially plan to use eebrakes which is lighter on my build but unfortunately there is compatibility issue on the smaller frame size thus I have to opt for Dura-Ace brake instead.

You can see below for the complete parts on my build.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134573

MrRouleur

by MrRouleur

shaving off 200g, you guys are nuts lol!!!! :-p

CEVelo

by CEVelo

MrRouleur wrote:shaving off 200g, you guys are nuts lol!!!! :-p

I don't think close to half a pound is a joke on Weight Weenies :)

It's not about whether it will make a difference or not on the road. To me, it because I like to set and achieve goals and the bike is my hobby. A (silly perhaps) goal is that i want my F8 with clinchers to weight in precisely on the 15lbs UCI limit, and hopefully closer to 14lbs with light tubulars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com