Replacing Campagnolo front derailleur (not removing chain)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Westbank

by Westbank

I would like to know if the chain can be slip through the front derailleur cage ? I have to replace a Record front derailleur and the chain is new and I would like to avoid removing it. I know the cage can be open (by removing the Phillips screw) but I wanted to confirm that there's enough room to slip the chain without damaging the carbon fiber cage.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Yes, it can be done. The screw has thread locker on it, so a good screwdriver and the right amount of force is needed, otherwise you end up with a buggered screw head.

KMC quick links are your friend, if it all goes wrong.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Yes no problem.

I seem to remember there is a small washer also, so look out for it.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I would break the chain at the special joining pin and then dispose of the special outer plates. And then replace with a Missing Link.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I would absolutely split the front mech before touching the chain, and if I did split the chain I would rejoin using the Campag link.

It is rare but the consequences of a link failure can be catastrophic including rear mech, chain, wheel, frame. Not worth the admittedly small risk.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Let me think. I started riding again seriously in 2002 and up until a couple of years ago was over 20,000 km/year. Then I tapered off. But anyway well over 200,000 km in total, every one of them on a chain using some kind of quick link. Connex, KMC mostly with a little SRAM and others thrown in.

Never once a single problem.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Let me think, I starting racing in 1984, was full time in 1987-1989….. I don't think this is about pedigree.

As I said, rare but highly consequential.

highdraw

by highdraw

Valbrona wrote:I would break the chain at the special joining pin and then dispose of the special outer plates. And then replace with a Missing Link.

+1

DMF

by DMF

I wouldn't hesitate a moment at circumnavigating the globe on a chain with every piece of outer plate exchanged for a master link. Don't get me wrong, I am not one to actually circumnavigate the globe, but if forced to do so on a chain made up completely of quick links, I'd might even view such a contraption as an obvious advantage with no actual downsides...

Had plenty of chains fail, never on a road bike though, but never at quick link (been on KMC, Sram, et al...)

ALS

by ALS

Whenever im changing out a major component i see it as a good opportuinty to change the chain esp when they are so cheap and new chain makes such a difference

AJS914

by AJS914

I don't understand why some of you wouldn't remove the front derailleur without breaking the chain. I've done it many times on Campy front derailleurs without a problem. Isn't that what the screw on the cage is for?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, simple as unscrewing the screw and letting the chain out.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kode54

by kode54

i've had no problems doing either....breaking the chain and putting on a KMC missing link or taking the screw out of the outer plate on the FD...on both Shimano and Campy.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

highdraw

by highdraw

bikerjulio wrote:Yes, it can be done. The screw has thread locker on it, so a good screwdriver and the right amount of force is needed, otherwise you end up with a buggered screw head.

KMC quick links are your friend, if it all goes wrong.

To me what bikerjulio said...the screw from the factory has thread locker...so why break the seal and if you do, better put threadlocker back on. A PITA.

This begs a larger issue often discussed and usually debated and again I agree with bikerjulio. I run KMC Missing links on all 10 and 11s chains from KMC chains...to Ultegra 10/11s chains to Campy 10/11s chains. I ride mostly Campagnolo groupsets but have never been a fan of the pricy Campy chain tool or knock off and any rivet joining of a chain either Shimano or Campy. KMC Missing Links rule the day in my experience...have worked flawlessly for me. When you have to remove a FD, remove the chain and take the opportunity to clean it well when off the bike...btw, I rarely remove a chain but when I do, nothing easier than a Missing Link. If you don't have the little Missing Link pliers...get some because a lot easier than using needle nose to draw the rollers together to dislodge the Missing Link.

AJS914

by AJS914

Threadlocker is so easy to re-apply and much easier than breaking and putting a new pin in a Campy chain. You haven't convinced me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com