New project for 2016 - maybe Litespeed T1 SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

any new updates on this build?

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

So, I'm considering selling the Archon for the new T1SL

The Archon was the last BSA threaded BB shell they did, which is probably what puts me off upgrading it to a T1/SL. But the tapered head-tube and internal bearings headset still tempt me. I notice they have also quietly abandoned the "wrap technology" they advertised so hard with the Archon. It was one of the frames defining features (and one of the best performance features according to them).

everything I've gathered about the T1 is that it's overly stiff. Look up BigSkyTi's ride impressions. I think he's a bigger guy (close to 200lbs) and found it to be exceptionally stiff.

I think its a perfect balance tbh. It's super lively in a sprint and can it keep you happy for 100miles. 6 years down the road and I still havent really considered a worthy alternative.

I really like how the easton fork works with this build! I always feel kind of sad when I see lush builds with enve forks, in some builds they don't complement the whole.

I was never fond of the curved forks and once I'd stripped the white/clear-coat paint job off the frame, the white Easton fork looked real bad. The Enve worked a treat (imo). Pics are in my ... if you are interested.

GL to the OP with the purchase whatever is bought. But for me, knowing the Archon, my only realistic upgrade would be for a T1. However I would need to accept fate and go pressed BB (or adapters) and I'm just not there yet on that one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

I know the thread is kind of old but I have had the 2015 t1 for 1.5 years now. I just recently installed etap and couldn't be happier with the whole setup. Here are the pics. The seat tube is Chinese titanium. Very nice, butted. Bought it at aliexpress.
This frame is a medium and it weights around 1250-1300 grams. The bike weights 15.8lbs as it is.
Handlebars are Thomson carbon
Seat prólogo x10 nack
Wheels are custom Reynolds rims with American classic hubs and Sapim j bend spokes. Made by pro wheel builder. Around 1450 grams bare.
Tires are Contis 4000SII 23
Stem is ec90sl
Fork 3t funda pro
Headset is cane creek.
Ultegra cassette with ultegra chain for durability.
SRAM red etap.

This bike is stiff!!! I had a scott cr1 which is very stiff and this is just a tad less stiff than the scott. it is barely noticeable. I can notice it when I am doing strength training at 53/12 or 53/11 55-65 rpm. I'm 205 lbs 6" tall.
I am a powerful rider. I can sprint 36+mph easily and usually ride 80-90 rpm cadence. So when I tell you this bike is stiff trust me it is. It is not carbon stiff but it does the job well. The compromise with carbon is the ride quality. It feels about 5-10psi less with this frame. It feels less harsh than carbon. This is done by the oval shape of the seat stays and chain stay. The only round tube in the frame is the head tube.
I decided with titanium because I cracked two cr1s frames at the bottom bracket from racing, falls and hard training.
I have been thinking about getting the T1SL but maybe not. Less weight for the frame of about 100-200 grams may not be very good for longevity since those grams mean less material used. I think they might have shaved the grams with the top tube since it looks wider than the 2015 T1.
Regardless if you buy the 2016/17 T1SL you are going to be happy. When I spoke to the guys from litespeed they said the T1 2015 model was overcooked for stiffness. I think they might have decided to decrease it a notch perhaps? Maybe not. They claim the new top tube has increased stiffness. Basically they gave it more faces to the diamond shape tube and made it thinner.
I have seen the heskas. Some friends have it down here in Miami. Nice bikes. Heavy though.
Regardless of all this I have no complaints about my T1. I will give it to my kids.
You can't go wrong with it. I bought the frame at the end of the year from England. Got it for 2400$. It was the last one. There is this guy with a website called bicycle doctor that used to sale them pretty cheap 2800$ was the quote in 2015, that was 700$ cheaper compared to the competition. I don't know if he still sells them.
Good luck and post some pictures.

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk