4 seasons vs Vittoria CX

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Poulidor

by Poulidor

I have been using the Victoria CX clinchers and I'm VERY pleased with them. But a good friend and mech for a pro team told me that the Continental 4 Seasons tire is much tougher for flats and also has a great ride.

I'll appreciate your opinions and observations as I have never ridden the 4 seasons. Thank you kindly.

showdown

by showdown

Your friend is correct.

The Vittorias are fantastic tires and ride wonderfully but at the cost of durability. Conversely the Continental tires are very robust but a bit rougher to ride. Ultimately they're both great tires- it's just a matter of deciding what is more important to you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

The GP4000s is in between, and has much lower rolling resistance than the 4S.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Specialized vs. Colnago

joepac

by joepac

These are very different tires. The conti 4seasons is an all seasons tire that doesn't flat (only flat I've ever managed was a piece of broken glass) but has significantly higher rolling resistance than a race tire like the cx. I only use the 4seasons tires in the winter when there is are cinders on the road because the rolling resistance is so high. There are a lot of tires with good flat protection and much better rolling resistance. My favorite race tire is the Schwalbe One clincher. I have been using it for racing and had 2000 miles on my last pair with 0 flats; it is the best of all worlds but is expensive. If you like Vittoria the Rubino Pro III is a good tire that has decently low rolling resistance and good flat protection.

In general any tire labeled as an endurance or all season tire is going to lose significant to rolling resistance at 20mph and above, but will have increased flat protection.

A couple of links to check out:
http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... ke-reviews
http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... ghters.pdf

Poulidor

by Poulidor

Valbrona wrote:Specialized vs. Colnago
joepac wrote:These are very different tires. The conti 4seasons is an all seasons tire that doesn't flat (only flat I've ever managed was a piece of broken glass) but has significantly higher rolling resistance than a race tire like the cx. I only use the 4seasons tires in the winter when there is are cinders on the road because the rolling resistance is so high. There are a lot of tires with good flat protection and much better rolling resistance. My favorite race tire is the Schwalbe One clincher. I have been using it for racing and had 2000 miles on my last pair with 0 flats; it is the best of all worlds but is expensive. If you like Vittoria the Rubino Pro III is a good tire that has decently low rolling resistance and good flat protection.

In general any tire labeled as an endurance or all season tire is going to lose significant to rolling resistance at 20mph and above, but will have increased flat protection.

A couple of links to check out:
http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... ke-reviews
http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... ghters.pdf

Brilliant response. Thank you.

Svetty

by Svetty

Just to add that the 4 season is also a supple tyre and thus gives a good ride feel. I don't mind the slightly higher rolling resistance as the extra training is welcome in winter. In short, it's a great winter/foul-weather tyre.

In summer I don't think there's much to choose between the top models from most manufacturers TBH

CBJ

by CBJ

I can only confirm that the 4 Season are slower. I tested them on my road bike and did not like them but moved them to my commuter road bike and they are amazing on rough NYC roads. I often ride them with 60 psi and they are super comfortable and the strong sidewall has protected against flat spotting. Mine are 28c not sure if they are any faster in 25c.

Also I moved them from a Dura Ace c24 to a Grail rim so a much wider rim. I think this helped too and has improved how the tire rides. The c24 rim was too narrow for the 28c.

em3

by em3

The Conti 4 seasons is VERY FAR from a supple tire....in fact, it is only slightly different then the Gatorskin (the equivalent of strapping a non-pneumatic tricycle tire on your rims). I wouldn't even consider their tubulars Conti Sprinter or Competition particularly supple, or at the clincher level, the 4000s. Your "pro mechanic" buddy is only correct in stating that they are indeed quite resistant to punctures and more durable.

Life is too short to ride crappy tires....stick with the Vitt CX or Pave, or try some Veloflex

AJS914

by AJS914

em3 wrote:The Conti 4 seasons is VERY FAR from a supple tire....in fact, it is only slightly different then the Gatorskin (the equivalent of strapping a non-pneumatic tricycle tire on your rims).

That is my experience. The 4 Seasons are like a truck tire. I do like the GP4000s. I'm riding Corsa CX EVOs on one bike right now and they are a little more supple but I've had one flat compared with zero over two years on GP4000s.

tinman143

by tinman143

Well I've just made the switch from 23c GP4000s to 25/28 GP4Season and the difference is negligible to me. The added protection for my poor roads is a benefit. Is there a difference in rolling resistance - probably. Can I actually FEEL it - heck no. Fwiw, my commute mph is under 20 for flats, the psi is 90f/95r and I weigh 160lbs with all my gear.
Last edited by tinman143 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marin

by Marin

The 28 @ 95psi has got to be as hard as a rock?

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I should have taken a pic. I burned a huge hole down to the carcass of a 4s locking up a rear on a shoulder in a near death near accident. Didn't think about the tire, rode it 2 more times before realizing it...and they still held. For a durability tire with decent grip, they're a great choice.
Edit got pic Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by ultyguy on Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poulidor

by Poulidor

em3 wrote:The Conti 4 seasons is VERY FAR from a supple tire....in fact, it is only slightly different then the Gatorskin (the equivalent of strapping a non-pneumatic tricycle tire on your rims). I wouldn't even consider their tubulars Conti Sprinter or Competition particularly supple, or at the clincher level, the 4000s. Your "pro mechanic" buddy is only correct in stating that they are indeed quite resistant to punctures and more durable.

Life is too short to ride crappy tires....stick with the Vitt CX or Pave, or try some Veloflex

I agree because what you say makes sense. A "four seasons" tough tire must not be very supple. Vittoria it is. I love Veloflex tubulars and I still have some Gommaitalia clinchers that are sweet but too easy to puncture.

By the way, How about inner tubes? Regular butyl inner tubes that I don't have to be filling with air from almost zero lbs every day? I have been using some Panaracers that a friend gave me and they seem to be great as for not leaking, but otherwise they are somewhat heavy and coarse. What do you suggest for inner tubes? Thank you so much.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If the 4 seasons does not flat please explain why every time I have used one I have punctured it, holed it or sidewalls have been cut with 20 miles sometimes. Other tyres on the same road vittoria corsa's survive quite well. Used the 4 seasons for a year and went through alot of tyres. Gave up in the end.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com