4 seasons vs Vittoria CX

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wingnut

by Wingnut

The 4 Season is my go to tyre for training, long lasting, durable and good grip...those complaining that it isn't supple and its heavy...get over it and pedal harder!

Marin

by Marin

I don't "train" I just ride, and I enjoy riding good equipment, including tires.

I've switched to fast, high-end, High-TPI tires on all 4 wheelsets, and I've had only 2 punctures this year (10.000km):

1 snakebite from a misjudged bunnyhop over rail tracks on 185g Panaracer Evo L time trial tires.
1 puncture from a 2x1x0.1mm steel shard that went through my Open Paves during a mixed road/gravel ride. Had to pump up 2x and fix the tube at home.

I didn't have a single flat last year when I rode Conti GP4000s exclusively, but I didn't ride offroad/gravel as much.

To me, the improved ride is worth the slightly higher puncture risk several times over.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

bm0p700f wrote:If the 4 seasons does not flat please explain why every time I have used one I have punctured it, holed it or sidewalls have been cut with 20 miles sometimes. Other tyres on the same road vittoria corsa's survive quite well. Used the 4 seasons for a year and went through alot of tyres. Gave up in the end.

Not my experience at all, but you guys in the UK seem to have some rough conditions. That said I put the 4 Seasons through the paces as well, living in the alps where we frequently get snow and freezing temperatures, which is then fought with salt and grit. To me the 4 Seasons is the tyre you pull out when you feel like riding in the dark winter evenings around 0°C and do not feel like stopping to fix flats (your fingers would probably not be up to it anyway for being too cold).

geedawg

by geedawg

I used to try to run Vitt CX's or Veloflexes year round (Veloflex much better for the rain here in Seattle) but started to get a LOT of flats once the weather turned. Used Conti 4000S for a while, and while they were good in terms of not flatting, I just didn't like how they rode compared to the Vitts / Veloflex. Tried and loved the Schwalbe Ultremo DD. . .rode much better than the Conti's with similar flat protection. Of course, those were discontinued. But started to use the Schwalbe One, which is a straight up race tire, but the flat protection has been great thus far. Not quite as supple as the Vitts, but waaaaaaay better in terms of flat protection, similar to that of the 4000S but with a MUCH better ride. They are my go-to year round tire now on two of my bikes. I still run Vitts on my purely good weather / aero-everything bike, but only take it out on nice days.