Zipp 404 vs. Lightweight standard

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

noah

by noah

Hi Everybody...
I have a LW standard wheelset and I am considering buing a pair of zipp 404. Anyone here ridden Zipp 404's andmaybe also the Lightweights?

In the tour mag there is a test with LW but no one with the 404. The LW is realy good for accelerations and up hill but not in tempo...
On paper, the only difference that I can see is about 150g.

What is the aerodymanic and stiffness in zipp vs LW??

divve

by divve

Check the Easton and Ritchey wheels in the Tour test. They use the 404 rims....no dimples but it should give you a close indication.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I ride 404's.

I am big - 190 lb, and the 404's handle the weight just fine. Overall ride quality is fantastic. There is definitely some flex but it is a reasonable trade off for the level of comfort they offer. They also corner extremely well - not chattering or skittering across rough surfaces. I can only compare them to Ksyriums and they definitely wind up faster and climb lighter. At super high speeds on flat roads they feel amazingly fast. The catch of course is that some people have experienced rim failures so get the Pave version (stronger, 100 grams heavier for the set) if you are worried about this (mine are the regular version).

Based on just the lower weight (and greater stiffness), the Lightweight should be a better climbing wheel while the aerodynamics of the 404's should make it faster on the flats and at high speeds.

There is no question about which wheel is more desireable, the question is which is better value. If the money doesn't matter get the Lightweight. On the other hand you can get approximately two sets of 404's for the price of one set of Lightweights - something to think about.

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

I would grab the 404 rima nd build up the rear as a 2x and do a radial front. With Aerolyte spokes and a good rear hub you should be able to get a very stiff wheel that will be superior in terms of aerodynamics and not much heavier than the lightweights.

I am thinking about a set of z4 rims with a tune rear hub and the new nimble front done up with aerolyte spokes for a bike that I'll build leter this year I hope...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens