Frankenbike Build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LiteAgilis

by LiteAgilis

Hi all.
Wealth of information on the forum brought me to asking some questions here.

So, I've had this mid 2000's Merlin Agilis for the better part of 6 years. It's currently running Red 10 (early stuff) w an old Reynolds UL fork. Ritchey WCS cockpit (alloy stem, SL carbon bar) w a Syntace P6 and an Antares carbon rail. Crank is Fulcrum. Wheels are Shamal Ultras w the JTEK widget. Kcnc cassette, skewers, seat clamp. Yokozuna cables. It's probably at or just north of 16 pounds. Somewhere along the way it became my commuter which is really a disservice to this late-classic by Tom Kellogg. Thing's stiff as all get out and has fast handling w suggested 40mm fork rake.

I'm thinking it's time to tear it down and start over and I'm looking for opinions.
Being on this forum I want to do it the favor of making it light.

Pretty much my first thought was:
Agilis frame and Reynolds fork unchanged.
Some vintage Lew tubulars or Reynolds KOM's w the White hubs
Sram XO drivetrain w single front ring. 10 speed rear out to 32 or even 36.
Sram Red shifter, right only.
Probably drop all the spacers out of the stack and flip the stem to -6
Only a front brake. I have an old set of Brahms I might put back into service.

Debating flatbar or drop. Leaning drop. Trying to decide how to prop my left hand up with no second shifter/no need for a second brake lever. Also wondering if i'd like the xo triggers and the flat bar as that's probably 100 grams lighter.

Figuring I'll get back at least 400 grams in the wheelset. Another 100 from going to lighter tubes from lighter clinchers. Another 250 from left shifter, front mech, cable. Another 150 g on the rear brake/cable. A few grams from cutting the steerer down and ditching some spacers. Might swap headset for one of the light Cane Creek Aer's. Get another 50 or 60 grams.

Any ideas on a single ring crankset that is light?

Figuring I am on a budget (at least in theory). Anyone see any obvious pitfalls I'm missing or opportunities to make it lighter?
My hope was to get the bike into the sub 13 pound realm. Not the easiest w a size L titanium frame that is probably coming in around 1750 grams.

Thanks in advance.

AJS914

by AJS914

Probably drop all the spacers out of the stack and flip the stem to -6

You mean an upward sloping stem? I'd take the extra weight, as I don't like the look. I'd also take the extra weight to have two brakes and proper shifter/brake levers. How about Sram Red 22 with weight weenie brake calipers?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

having recently reversed a series of weight centric moves which reduced rideability i can only concur with the thoughts of ajs914 above. that is, focus on rideability as well as other goals like saving weight and have brakes (2 of them). this is a non-compromise area.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

FreaK

by FreaK

Only a front, is not bad with a fixed rear since you still have some control over its speed.
Only a rear is not bad if you have a really big rear tyre, say 2", mtb/bmx/big apple etc, since you have more surface area.
But i can say from being stuck on just one on the road bike for a couple weeks due to a damaged front rim*, two is way better! And i ride my fixed brakeless!

*about to replace the worn out, and collapsed vintage campy rims with some brand new F20s
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm