Tubular strange cuts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Geoff

by Geoff

+1 on a slipped casing...

eric01

by eric01

Center tread looks worn to almost smooth. Looks like you've got some good use out of it before it died.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MJB

by MJB

I've recently had another minor manufacturing failure from another FMB tubular. This time it was a 90mm long edge of the tread strip peeling away from the silk carcass of a 25mm FMB CX Competition. I again used mastik glue to re-adhere the tread and it inflates and rides just fine, however, it's clear that Francois' hand made method is not 100% fool proof.

I exchanged emails with Francois about this issue. He was apologetic and explained his side by saying that FMB do not vulcanise the tread onto the carcass, instead using a hand applied contact glue and hand rolling the treads onto the carcass. In my tyre's case, it appears the contact glue was not applied in sufficient volume to reach the margin of the tread strip and despite passing QC with age and useage the tread edge peeled away in this one spot.

Despite FMB's hand made manufacture being imperfect, they still roll more comfortably than the many other brands and models I've tried and I'm yet to lose one from manufacturing fault or any other reason.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

I've had the tread separate too but the tire was almost dunzo anyway. I was just waiting for the tread to wear through and then it started pulling away at the edge. So nbd really. His tires ride so nice I am willing to put up with the occasional defect at least on my #1 wheel set.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I had this once when I used my tubular wheels on a trainer in the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk