Upgrade fear in the current climate..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

neeb

by neeb

Does anyone else have this right now?

In the past I've been happy to spend too much money on bikes and bike parts in the full knowledge that I don't /need/ to upgrade and am to some extent a willing victim of the marketing BS. I've never regretted it and feel that it's largely been money well spent just for the slight added motivation to get out and ride that occasionally satiated bike lust seems to provide.

I must admit that the ever increasing speed at which new stuff seems to be superseded, combined with the prices of the top-end stuff that seem to be increasing at a rate several times that of inflation, have made me much more hesitant of late. However the biggest obstacle is the knowledge that the top-end road bikes of two years hence will inevitably all be disk-brake equipped, and that any frame, wheelset or groupset I buy now will probably be completely incompatible with whatever standards are eventually agreed upon. I'm rather ambivalent about disks - it will be great to have them for Alpine descents in the rain, but they will make very little difference to most of the riding I do. However I don't want to spend significant amounts of money right now on anything that is likely to be not just last-year's model in the very near future, but actually completely obsolete.

So my next major upgrade will probably need to wait until wireless-shifting, disk-brake equipped bikes are the standard offerings from all of the major manufacturers and all of the groupset, wheel and other equipment manufacturers have caught up and agreed upon universal standards. And as I can't really see all of that happening within the next 3 years, my purchasing habit is in long-term abeyance. Can't help thinking that the industry has screwed up big time if I am in any way representative of a significant proportion of consumers...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rms13

by rms13

So basically, you'll be waiting 5-10 years to upgrade until everything you want is standardized, vetted out and prices adjust. Which is about the same time most people want to upgrade.

I just built a new bike with 11 speed mechanical Ultegra and rim brakes. I ain't scared

neeb

by neeb

Do most people upgrade everything at the same time every five years? Not the way I do it. I'll buy a frame one year, wheels the next, groupset the year after (or whatever). Don't feel able to do that right now.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

You've been a member on here since 2009. You're very much in the 'minority' of consumers.

Disk brakes also have barely made it to the peloton. So like rms said, not even close to being vetted. Buy what you like and don't stress. It's a bike. Not a shares portfolio.

eric

by eric

> the top-end road bikes of two years hence will inevitably all be disk-brake equipped

Probably not.

It took about 10 years for discs to completely supplant rim brakes in the MTB world. Discs are more of a clear advantage there than on road bikes.
Bike makers do seem to change faster in the last 5 years or so. For example it's getting difficult to find XC MTBs with double chainrings or even a FD mount, and that's only happened in a three or so model years. But I don't think it's accellerating fast enough that all or even a large majority of top end road bikes will be disc in two years.

And if they are, so what? Your current bike will still be as good as it was when you built it.

glepore

by glepore

Not sure I agree except as to brakes. Take Shimano. 7970 is released. One cycle later, obsoleted. 6770 same thing. Good luck if you need a derailleur. Suspect that when wireless comes (inevitably) that the wired parts will go away like 7970 and 6770. So yeah, it makes me want to sit on the sidelines a bit, but not sure its getting better. The sport has expanded. Look at what's happened to golf with drivers etc. Golf is dead, the money's coming here, and the collateral damage isn't pretty.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Buying a new bike is a good time to re-examine equipment, but after that my thoughts are you keep what you have unless the current solution isn't working for you. Case in point, I'm very happy with my current set-up, like mechanical but I've experienced premature fraying of the rear deralieur cable several times, so when/if Shimano comes out with a new mechanical group, I'll certainly consider it. Otherwise my money will be spent on bike trips for the sheer enjoyment and the belief that a bike feels way better when the rider is tuned up more so than the bike. The best bang for the money is spent upgrading the rider, not the bike. Ride more and the bike will feel better. Nothing makes a bike sing more than a rider able to push it to new limits.
Last edited by fromtrektocolnago on Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

AJS914

by AJS914

I always buy behind the curve, grab awesome deals and pick up used stuff in like-new to excellent condition.

I bought a new campagnolo 11 speed group a couple of years ago but I'll wear that stuff out. There is just no reason to upgrade 2014 11 speed stuff just because Campy changed a few things around in 2015. My previous 10 speed stuff was ridden for years and years. If I have a good set of wheels that I like, I usually ride them until there is an issue.

I've sworn that I will only buy used frames these days. It's too easy to find a frame in excellent condition for 25% of the cost of a new one. I'm on my 5th carbon frame in 2 years. It's a little excessive but I came across a couldn't pass up deal on my Parlee and I picked up the Calfee because I've always wanted to try one. I've now sold two of my frames, one for a profit and one for a small loss. I'd rather lose a couple hundred in depreciation instead of the thousands that you do when you buy a new high end frame. I might be tempted to buy new if I found something I truly loved and wanted to ride forever.

austke

by austke

I agree, if buying a complete bike. It doesn't matter so much.
But when upgrading parts, I like to buy the best. And then transfer them along over different builds. This is the part that is becoming more difficult to do. There are multiple standards to get ya head around. BB's, brake locations. Cable or Electric. Cable or Hydro. Wireless, and/or discs?
I think being a weenie keeps it simple for me. Going Aero makes it trickier for me atleast.
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

It warmed my heart to see this this morning...

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... hip-189583

I took my new-to-me but still relatively ancient Reynolds 46's out for a maiden spin last night. With a daughter about to start uni and a son not far behind, I couldn't justify buying new stuff even if I didn't enjoy assembling good bikes from other people's ebay hand-me-downs...

tinozee

by tinozee

Yeah if you're gonna race or even just ride seriously, it's more about the body and hard work. Sometimes the bling factor stops mattering and the free factor (sponsorship goods) takes over. Lots of guys race on used aluminum frames and 105 or Rival groups. Even some teams buy budget groups and chinese frames. I get some stuff from team and buy a ton on ebay. But I think I spend more on tires, chamois cream, chains, cassettes than the big stuff. Or maybe on food even, riding a lot requires a lot of food. The bike is just another tool and somewhat disposable imo. I don't really get it when I see the portly weekend warriors on F8s around my area.

It's true that the disc situation is a weird turning point. But there will always be better disc brakes coming out, just look at mtb scene. Thru axles for sure though if you go disc.

PS - the 46 is a good wheel with DT hubs.

AJS914

by AJS914

I don't really get it when I see the portly weekend warriors on F8s around my area.

What's not to get? A nice bike is a joy to ride. And there is no reason to buy anything less if you can afford it.

bomber

by bomber

tinozee wrote:I don't really get it when I see the portly weekend warriors on F8s around my area.

You would rather they driving on your riding roads?? :noidea: As long as someones riding they have my support!

To the OP I am a firm believer in upgrading when you have a valid reason which could be anything from affordability to necessity. I would never wait on standards as you would never end up buying.
Carb loading since the 90's

My ex ride
My old rides

Vermu

by Vermu

Think that road bikes are starting to be a bit like cars. Manufacturers roll out new blingy stuff each year that no-one actually needs direly.
I just upgraded my bike going from 2010 ultimate cf slx to aeroad.
Some new bling sure, but why upgrade now, why not wait for new dics brakes and wireless shifting.

It's becoming more or less unnecessary to wait for new upgrades. When in need upgrade.
I don't think that electric shifting with wires will become obsolete. I myself wouldn't want to upgrade to wireless.
Checking di2 battery and bike computers charge rate are enough. When it goes to checking 3-6 batteries or worrying about that one of them is drained becomes annoying.
And discs, well I think that has been covered earlier. Some need some dont, I won't be needing those.

What ppl should remember is that even as manufacturers bring new stuff it is still the machine that drives the bike, yep beating a dead horse here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

The beauty of the road bike side of the sport is that there is so much of last year's kit available on sale. (Either new, or second hand/immaculate).
But it's in the wrong colour. Or not fashionable.

Wait until the portly f8 rider decides that the sky colour scheme is dated, then you can buy his almost unused 2015 bike for half retail. While he gets his new 2015.5 model with slightly different colours and a revised group........

And some of the internet retailers are still shifting older kit, DA 10 was still available at places like CRC until fairly recently. (My old DA9 only died 4 years ago, when I decided it wasn't worth replacing the shifters at 175 quid when I could get a new 105 10s group for the price of DA9 shifters and a rear mech!)

The disc issue is the only concern, but as someone who has no interest in discs, I can happily see myself going through at least two more frames (so 5-8 years) before this is an issue.