new bike? aero or lightweight: Cervelo s2 or Scott Addict 10

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jerrycooney

by jerrycooney

Looking to buy my first all carbon bike and hopefully get a good year end deal. Going back and forth on aero vs. lightweight. Only Ride 1,200 miles a year in the Northeast from March-Oct. I'm not setting any land speed records but like to do a tri every year or two just to stay fit as I'm in my early 50's. This will be my only bike so it will need to have some ride quality but still want to go as fast as I can too (who doesn't?). Is it true that new aeros are faster and have decent ride quality to be an all around bike? Or is this hype if you don't get into a tuck position all the time. And, if I'm only avg 17 mph on strava, does it really matter?

I've done a short test 5 minutes on the following bikes and they all feel good so my decision is hard and all bikes are in the same price range. Only main difference is that the Scott comes with an Ultegra Groupo and others come with 105s if that is much of a difference?

In aero consideration set: Cervelo S2 and Felt AR5 (and maybe Scott Foil?). In regular lightweight bike consideration set: Cervelo R2 and Scott Addict 10 2015 (with Ultegra). Heard nice things about Cervelo cause my friends both have a R2. I read the S2 is faster than the R2 even though the R2 is about a .5 lb lighter. The LBS has a really good deal on a year end Scott Addict 10 so I'm seriously considering it. Seems pretty light but don't know much about the Scott brand or quality? Also don't know much about Felt brand/quality re the AR5. heard some cons about the rear break positioning.
Welcome perspective/insight and recommendations?

Thanks

dunbar42

by dunbar42

I have 8k miles on my 2015 Cervelo S2 and it has taken over as my main bike coming from a Specialized Roubaix SL4. I would narrow it down to one bike in each category and then take them out for a longer 30-60 minute test ride. I cannot feel the difference between Ultegra and 105 and have ridden them back-to-back on many occasions. Besides your position, the frame is the single biggest aerodynamic savings you can make. It's also the most expensive to swap out once you've made your bike decision. I would recommend going with the aero bike if you don't feel strongly about going with a standard road bike frame after riding them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

austke

by austke

What is the Terrain like where you ride. This is a big Consideration for me.
If it's flat. Go Aero.
If it's Mountainous, go Lightweight.
I have both. So some where in between both extremes suit me best. But I am a Weenie at heart. So always looking for the lightest Choice where possible. :)
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

eric

by eric

Unless you do races that are uphill only the areo bike will be faster.

If you do tris you want an aero bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Buy the one which has best fit for you. If you ask about aero or light weight i think you'll get different answers.

I would look at fit and comfort. If you ride a bike that is too low and long for you and feel harsh, you won't be at best with what you can do.

I think it's up each of us to decide what is the choice here. Some say comfort is all in the tires/ wheels, personally i would say it's also in the frame, seat post and saddle.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

jerrycooney

by jerrycooney

Thanks for the valuable input/perspective. I hesitated in my initial post to mention that I've done a triathlon and may want to do more if I can stay fit cause it may have given people impression I was more hardcore...
Left side of brains says if you are buying a bike why not aero - to go faster? But right side of brain says be more realistic - I'm in my early 50s and most of my riding is training and weekend outings 25-50 miles and the triathlon is to "stay fit" and not to "win it!" Will likely keep the new bike for 5-6 years. So want a good all around bike that I can ride and not feel beat up after a 50- 60 miler (would probably feel beat up after a century regardless of the type of bike, LOL) .
Cervelo R2 seems softest ride. Cervelo S2 and Scott Addict 10 seem a little more stiff with S2 maybe a bit faster over the whole ride and the Scott Addict 10 the lightest and best up the hills and comes with Ultegra for a pretty good deal. I've heard less about Scott bikes (quality and durability) so wondering why I can get Scott Addict 10 w/ Ultegra for relatively same price as Cervelo S2 and R2 that only have 105 group sets. I Ride in NY/CT area which is mostly rolling hills (some steep hills but certainly not mountains...).

Thanks again for input. Much appreciated.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

I can only speak to the S2 but the ride quality is pretty darn good. I have a Roubaix SL4 Expert and it only rides *slightly* better because of the CG-R seat post. I enjoy riding the S2 more because it feels faster to me. So I would buy you what you really want since it will inspire you to ride more.

Multebear

by Multebear

The only difference between Ultegra 6800 and 105 5800 is, Ultegra has lighter alloys. They both have 1 bearing inside the shifters. And everything else is the same. I would only go for Ultegra, if weight saving is important to you.

Regarding frames, choose the one you think looks and feels best. If you're not racing, you will not feel the difference between a slightly more aero frame or a slightly lighter frame. After all at the end of the day, your satisfaction with your bike is the looks and the feel. The saved watts or saved grams is no bigger concern outside races.

Besides that, the biggest aero advantage, you can get isn't from the frame, it's from the wheels. If you want to go more aero, choose aero wheels.

I have both a Giant Propel Advanced SL 0 (aero), and a C'dale Evo HiMod (light). The ridequality of the C'dale is far better.

AJS914

by AJS914

Regarding frames, choose the one you think looks and feels best. If you're not racing, you will not feel the difference between a slightly more aero frame or a slightly lighter frame. After all at the end of the day, your satisfaction with your bike is the looks and the feel. The saved watts or saved grams is no bigger concern outside races.

Exactly what he said. It sounds like you need a great all-around bike.

You have to keep all the aero stuff in perspective. An aero frame is far down the list when it comes to gains. You probably save more time by shaving your legs.

rchung

by rchung

Depending on where you are on the Wookie Scale, shaving your legs can save quite a bit of drag. Besides, you can both shave your legs and ride an aero bike, you know. That's allowed.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

Multebear wrote:Besides that, the biggest aero advantage, you can get isn't from the frame, it's from the wheels. If you want to go more aero, choose aero wheels.

Not true, a good aero frame will save you more than the best aero wheels. I've never understood the logic in this argument. Savings watts, is saving watts regardless of how you get there.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

As mentioned, this has been played out in many threads on here. To that end, this test (no it's not gospel but is rather some data to be considered) is worth consideration.

So a model like the Cervelo R series is still going to be more aero than some 'aero' bikes from other brands. I've just moved to a S2 myself. But then I race, I think aero matters and I want every performance gain from my gear that I can.

Also, can attest to how good 105 is. As in, blinded test and I would struggle to pick the difference between it and Ultegra 6800 (which I've been on for the better part of the last year and a half). Shimano really did just made 5800 a heavier version of 6800.

AJS914

by AJS914

What I take from that is that a minute over 4.3 hours of riding is meaningless for most riders.

kgt

by kgt

jerrycooney wrote:Left side of brains says if you are buying a bike why not aero - to go faster?

If aero frames were making a rider go faster every single pro would ride one. That is not the case at all so, really, do not care that much about aero.

jerrycooney wrote:So want a good all around bike that I can ride and not feel beat up after a 50- 60 miler.

Both frames are good all around bikes that won't beat you up. But, if comfort is your main priority there are better options maybe.

jerrycooney wrote:I Ride in NY/CT area which is mostly rolling hills (some steep hills but certainly not mountains...).

Again, both frames will do the job fine. Just get what you like most in terms of design - overall image.

tinozee

by tinozee

I like seeing Purito climb on an aeroad or Teklehaimanot on S5. I think that's the old Aeroad in that data chart above though. The geo on Cervelos is not right for some so I agree with above to go for best fit. The addict is a little lower in my size so I'd get that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com