new bike? aero or lightweight: Cervelo s2 or Scott Addict 10

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fiery

by Fiery

dunbar42 wrote:
Multebear wrote:Besides that, the biggest aero advantage, you can get isn't from the frame, it's from the wheels. If you want to go more aero, choose aero wheels.

Not true, a good aero frame will save you more than the best aero wheels. I've never understood the logic in this argument. Savings watts, is saving watts regardless of how you get there.

Where did you get that idea from? The frame is the most expensive, yet the least important part of the whole aero package. For example: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2010/04/biggest-bang-for-your-buck-in-time-trial-equipment/

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

What will make you ride faster is focusing on the bike with the best fit and geometry. Focus on comfort as well
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Fiery wrote:
dunbar42 wrote:
Multebear wrote:Besides that, the biggest aero advantage, you can get isn't from the frame, it's from the wheels. If you want to go more aero, choose aero wheels.

Not true, a good aero frame will save you more than the best aero wheels. I've never understood the logic in this argument. Savings watts, is saving watts regardless of how you get there.

Where did you get that idea from? The frame is the most expensive, yet the least important part of the whole aero package. For example: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2010/04/biggest-bang-for-your-buck-in-time-trial-equipment/

Wade (CyclingTips himself) as well as plenty others have found info in that article has since been disproved/not as great as once though (eg: shoe covers). So just beware when quoting articles that are a little old.

However Robert Chung quotes Cervelo engineer Ivan Sidorovich, who found that the frame accounted 16% of the bike's total aero drag - with the rear wheel 5% and front 16%. So all told the wheels are the greater advantage.

What I take from that is that a minute over 4.3 hours of riding is meaningless for most riders.

What I took from your reply was that you didn't read the OP, appreciate it was just included to help his choice between 'aero' frame (or not) and missed the part where I said it was "not gospel". Of course plenty won't find it a worthwhile chart. But the guy asking the questions in this thread will.