New Ride for 2016, which Frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

han1337

by han1337

I am building a new ride for 2016.
Main use: long rides, group rides on the weekends (150 km+), marathons 150 km+ 3000hm+

I have owned a few bikes before.
Tarmac, Venge, R5, Cannondale SuperX

Every bike had its good sides and bad sides.

Tarmac
Razor sharp handling (big like!)
very good stiffness

Venge
aero (really fast ... )
stiff,
kind of heavy,
bad to my back,
no comfort from frame perspective,
chatters through bad tarmac corners

R5
stiff,
light nimble,
handles well

Cannondale SuperX
smooth ride
even when combined with the same wheels I used on the R5
heavy

Is there a single bike that would fit my Preference?

Important things first:

1) comfort (my back tends to tighten up when I really push it on longer rides and then I am very sensitive to hits through my spine)
only important at the back of the bike, the front does not matter to me at all, no problems there

2) Aeroness (aero is clearly more important than wight, also I like the looks of aero bikes .. but most of the time they are not comfy at all)

3) Sharp Handling in corners

4) Good Braking Performance (if there are integrated brakes, they have to be really good at their job ..)

5) Weight, not that important, but should stay in range

6) Stiffness (not that important for me, I have an avg cadence of 107)

& Should fit my Stages Powermeter - the new Scott Addict does not for example..

The only bike I currently see doing all of this potentially is the new Trek Madone 9.
I dont know if there is enough space to fit the Stages, does anyone know this?

I would use a H2 fit completely slammed with a 120 cm Stem to keep a similar fit than I have now, it would be 1 cm higher than now though, but I could live with that.

Is there any other bike out there that would fit my preferrences?
Experiences with Isospeed decoupler?
Last edited by han1337 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Canyon Aeroad perhaps. they do everything well and aren't uncomfortable.

note i'm not a spesh or cannondale fan in the slightest.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

acetonehk

by acetonehk

Why not try the endurance series of bike frame, like Canyon Endurance, BMC GF01...
Normally those frames have more friendly geometry and more comfortable.
Or ask Guru for a customized frame.

Delorre

by Delorre

han1337 wrote:& Should fit my Stages Powermeter - the new Scott Addict does not for example..

I own a '14 Addict with DA cranks, and I don't see any problem upgrading to stages. My garmin cadance (latest model with cadance and speed separated...)at the inside has plenty of clearance and is almost 1 cm tick. I can't imagine the stages beeing a lot more intrusive than that.... Don't forget that stages will come out with a slimmer design, in order the be used even with under bracket mounted brakes. And then, why not consider the 2016 Foil? If it handles as the Addict with a bit more Aero, you won't be disappointed.

Bike radar on the new stages : See bottom of article.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/stages-cycling-power-meters-go-carbon-at-last-45115/

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Trek Madone 9 seems spot on then? But i guess Look 795 and Time Skylon could fit that description also?

Kind of funny, i am just as your Nr.1
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

gravity

by gravity

Mann we had this kind of topic every other week. Just buy what you like that fits you and spare us all the trouble or head over to Bike Forums.

I sound like the recent prendrefeu and I didnt like it but im afraid it had to be said. sorry.

mimason

by mimason

The only issue I have is him calling me a fellow Weenie. I am offended I think. Because of this I choose not to reply. Otherwise, I don't think his post is unreasonable.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

Just my input.
I had a Tarmac SL3 52cm and it was very stiff and beat me up on bad roads.
This year I replaced it with a Cannondale EVO and I am happy with it, much smoother.
I would consider the Time Skylon, but it can be tough to find a test ride.
I rode Trek 5200 / 5500 for 17 years but would not consider ever buying another one because of the Lance / LeMond thing.

mile2424

by mile2424

I'd recommend test riding a new Venge if you can. I think it is much more comfortable than the previous version. The brakes are kinda personal preference, I have heard they are great from some and not so great from others. Would be an interesting one for you to try out and see what you think.

han1337

by han1337

Delorre wrote:
han1337 wrote:& Should fit my Stages Powermeter - the new Scott Addict does not for example..

I own a '14 Addict with DA cranks, and I don't see any problem upgrading to stages. My garmin cadance (latest model with cadance and speed separated...)at the inside has plenty of clearance and is almost 1 cm tick. I can't imagine the stages beeing a lot more intrusive than that.... Don't forget that stages will come out with a slimmer design, in order the be used even with under bracket mounted brakes. And then, why not consider the 2016 Foil? If it handles as the Addict with a bit more Aero, you won't be disappointed.

Bike radar on the new stages : See bottom of article.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/stages-cycling-power-meters-go-carbon-at-last-45115/

sorry for the mixup, I meant the new foil.

mile2424 wrote:I'd recommend test riding a new Venge if you can. I think it is much more comfortable than the previous version. The brakes are kinda personal preference, I have heard they are great from some and not so great from others. Would be an interesting one for you to try out and see what you think.

Will do if there is one available at the shop near me.
The new Seatstays should make things a bit better.
But the seatpost is the same uncomfortable thing as before.

survivor

by survivor

Pinarello F8?

han1337

by han1337

Does anyone have experience with Willier Centro1AIR?

survivor wrote:Pinarello F8?

I have no Pinarello dealer anywhere near me, I like the looks of it very much.
And also the fact that I can use my dura ace brakes on it.
Anyone experience with the F8?
Is it comfy?

Grill

by Grill

Jesus, just get something that can accommodate 28c tyres and be done with it. There's isn't actually that much difference between the ride quality of bikes once you do that.

Tqubed

by Tqubed

Get the Madone 9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ethanfiamingo

by ethanfiamingo

Just built this up for the shop owner. Not sure why Giant isnt a considered brand on your lsit.

Also your main requests in the framset are Comfortable and Aero, which to do both well is difficult to say the least.

I totally agree with @grill on figuring out what you can throw some big tires on... This tcr can do 28s on firecrest 303s which measured nearly 29 on my calipers... but Im sure there are many other contenders that could do the same... just go out and get something and start riding... Any of the newer tarmacs are pretty sweet and can be found at pretty good deals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com