Canyon ultimate dillema

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Panainz

by Panainz

I want to buy a canyon ultimate but I am not sure whats best in my price range. I could either look for a used 3rd generation cf slx or buy the new 2016 cf sl for around the same price, but im not sure whats better. The new 2016 cf slx looks awesome with the new seatpost clamp design and more aero profile, however im not sure if these changes were applied to the cf sl, because it looks almost like the 3rd generation one. So is there any aspect in which new sl would be better from the old slx?

So what do you guys suggest would be best?

lewolive

by lewolive

Panainz wrote:I want to buy a canyon ultimate but I am not sure whats best in my price range. I could either look for a used 3rd generation cf slx or buy the new 2016 cf sl for around the same price, but im not sure whats better. The new 2016 cf slx looks awesome with the new seatpost clamp design and more aero profile, however im not sure if these changes were applied to the cf sl, because it looks almost like the 3rd generation one. So is there any aspect in which new sl would be better from the old slx?

Honnestly I have a 2014 SLX and I'm hesitating to buy another SLX 2015 because they are discounted and offer a great value price/performance.
The Aero performances of the SLX 2014-2015 is great great great and feels close to aero frames. It has received major improvements since 2009 whereas it used to be really not efficient at high speeds.

Even if the SL is not yet available, I don't see reasons for which it would be better than the 2014 SLX. A discounted 2015 SLX is a better value than a 2016 SL, for sure. But at this step, you may also consider the SLX 2016 which seems great too, and has a good equipment if you buy it already built.

My own choice will be probably the new 2016 SLX in Red 22, I need to study the geometry before, but the combo stem/handlebar is a strong argument for this bike. If I don't buy this bike with the combo stem/handlebar, I'll probably choose a SLX 2015.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

They don't spec the h11 angle but my guess it's more negative then my enve is.. Enve is -6.. The combo has got to me maybe -10

I added a spacer to my h11 .. Compared to my enve bar/ stem setup..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

outnumbered

by outnumbered

Panainz wrote:I want to buy a canyon ultimate but I am not sure whats best in my price range. I could either look for a used 3rd generation cf slx or buy the new 2016 cf sl for around the same price, but im not sure whats better. The new 2016 cf slx looks awesome with the new seatpost clamp design and more aero profile, however im not sure if these changes were applied to the cf sl, because it looks almost like the 3rd generation one. So is there any aspect in which new sl would be better from the old slx?

Are you buying a whole bike or just the frame ?

It doesn't look to me like the 2016 SL has changed much, so the main question is about how much you value the weight loss of the SLX over the SL. Reviews I've read don't seem to show much on-the-road difference between the two frames.

I bought the 2015 SLX over the SL, mainly "because pro". I don't think I'd actually notice any difference with an SL, so you could argue I wasted £600 :)

Also note that the 2016 SLX geometry is quite different to the 2015 SLX. Whereas the 2016 SL geometry is the same as the 2015 frames.

Panainz

by Panainz

I want to buy a full bike. The new slx is probably a bit too expensive for me so ill be looking for a used slx or sl. Actually leaning towards sl because price difference is significant and i probably wont feel the extra 200g.

Does the old sl frame have the same geometry, stiffness, complience as slx, with the only difference being the weight?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HTML

by HTML

Considering Canyon's history of problems with their frames. Its probably best to get the new SL then you have a warranty to fall back on.

I doubt you will notice the extra 200-300 grams of static weight while out on the roads.