Tubular tire for home trainer

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

I'm thinking of building a carbon tubular Powertap rear wheel as a powermeter option, but that would also mean training indoors for a few months with the tool.
What are the best tubular options to mount on the wheel for indoor trainer use ?

I'm thinking no threads (as silent as possible), and durable. Conti Sprinters ? Else ?

Louis :)

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Get one of the older smooth Tufos. Use their regular tape.
The rolling resistance plays no role here, in fact, it may help in this case.
They are affordable and when the spring hits you can use it further until the roads are clear, then rip it off and mount a proper supple tire with glue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I though about Tufos, but... Tape :shock: ? .....

Danza

by Danza

After cleaning rims post a previous owners use of tape, use whatever cheap tire you want but don't tape

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Use the hair dryer method and the normal Tufo tape is easy off, clean result. Tufo Extreme tape is another story.
We are talking about a winter indoor training situation here so you just need to tire to stick not corner. Keep it simple in my opinion.

LouisN

by LouisN

Hence my astonishment.
Like Danza I struggled, and I mean struggled, to take off 1 layer of tape from a used wheel.
I prefer to use a thin layer of glue. Only question is, with heat, will it hold the tub enough or will it come out of place. Guess it's a question of how much is best between easy install/take off and keeping the tub in place.
What Tufo models have slick rolling band ?
I also found Kenda Domestique, pretty cheap, slick threads.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

If your home trainer is a turbo, you don't need any glue/tape at all. The tubular won't come off anyway.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Sure there has been some disasters with Tufo tape. I acknowledge that.
There is the new Effetto Mariposa tape if Tufo stuff scares you.
The Tufos tires in the Elite Jet and Hi-Composite range have a center strip that is smooth.
I have some older Elites that had zero tread even on the side.
Quite honestly, I would just grab the cheapest smooth tread tubular from any brand that you can find and slap it on.

lannes

by lannes

I assume your using rollers indoors ?

If not, won't the tubular be destroyed quickly by the friction and heat of the turbo trainer ?

LouisN

by LouisN

I don't see why, I used normal clinchers for more than 10 yrs on a fixed home trainer without any problems. They get worn and eventually have to be put out, but nothing worse than outside.

srshaw

by srshaw

I've used some Old tufo on an old tubular wheel with my kurt kinetic it is hardly wearing at all. It looks a bit shiny but nothing worse, certainly no chunks missing.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Just run your normal tire on there.... glue up a new one in the spring when you hit the road again up there. That way you aren't swapping two tire a season.

eric01

by eric01

Are you using exclusively indoors? Don't bother gluing or taping. Tire pressure will keep the tubular on the rim.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

upside

by upside

Are you using exclusively indoors? Don't bother gluing or taping. Tire pressure will keep the tubular on the rim

Don't try this as I did the same thing a few years back. I ended up tearing the valve away from the tire from some movement from the resistance on the trainer.

dcpdpayne

by dcpdpayne

Throw a $30 Conti Giro on there and ride the tread off it. I don't think that you need anything too special.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com