Carbon stem - Serious barslippage

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marin

by Marin

Yes I did, and that's why I asked.

To me it wasn't clear if he had used the friction paste and ridden afterwards.

Enkei

by Enkei

To clairfy:

I assembled the stem with carbon paste and torque at my LBS and went out to ride right straight after. One km into the ride I brake semi hard on the hoods and dive forward. So some force (not alot) was enough to turn the bars like 90 degress.

During installation it's possible that the mechanic adjusted the bars slightly when in place (not all full torque ofc. but still sliding the bars into correct angle) would that cancel out the affect of the paste? The bars clamping surface used to be "sandpapery" but is alot smoother after the slip. Would it be possible to install it a second time and get a different result?

PS. I emailed the manufacturer last night, they have responded and asked me to return the stem.

What do you guys think I should do?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thebuny

by thebuny

Do you have a second torque wrench you can try?
When I bought mine I test it to measure the torque accurate inside a lab and for all values (2-24) it gives me N-1 Newton. So if I used 5Nm in reality it was 4Nm...

Enkei

by Enkei

I don't own one myself, LBS helped me. I can try with a different shop and mechanic I guess.

xena
Banned

by xena

ERROR
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I also have the MCFK stem. I had slippage too. (with haero h.145 bar). I torqued to 3.2Nm, no more slippage - and a lot of miles, and plenty of torqueing and retorquing to this torquerating without issue (flew bike to hawaii to ride haleakala)
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Oh, I'm sorry Marin. No offense intended, From what i read the op wrote that he had used carbon paste.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!