Tacx Neo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

I don't think I can accurately judge that. Maybe the KICKR has a little bit more realistic road feel, but I wasn't able to test the lateral flex the Neo has (bike mounted on it in store was not my size and all that), that might add to the feel of the Neo a bit...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sanrensho

by sanrensho

^^Thanks, I guess by "road feel" I am referring to spindown and gradual ramp-up of power.

fatbugger

by fatbugger

I have so far been a happy kickr user but I can relate to spinning out during drop in target power when doing interval training. Guaging from the posts, I don't think there is a lot of merit in selling the kickr and spending the extra cash for the tacx neo. I guess I will stick with the kickr for the time being.

On a separate note, has anyone tried to test the power output from a kickr (in erg mode) against the power reading from a power meter. I have a 4iiii precision and initially the kickr and precision were mostly within 5% of each other. However, lately (past 4 weeks) the power data from the precision is consitently 20-30% lower compared to the kickr. Any thoughts?

fatbugger

by fatbugger

Apologies for the second question in the post above as it is not directly related to the topic on the thread. Maybe I need to post is in a trainer/power meter accuracy thread.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Neo owners, do you 'have to' use both the front wheel block?

I'm very keen on one to replace my Kickr.

drhex

by drhex

Hope I understand the question correctly - you don't need to use the block but
- You will be slanted forward slightly
- Your front wheel can turn sideways

Bought my Neo late winter, quite happy with it, pretty much agrees with my P2M. Tacx software is crap ^2 though.

Florian

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Only ask as I have a LeMond and a Kickr, never noticed any slant with them and find it odd Tacx hasn't designed the Neo to also not need a block.

Front wheel moving is really not an issue. You're hooked in to a trainer, where could you possibly fall.

ms6073

by ms6073

Tinea Pedis wrote:find it odd Tacx hasn't designed the Neo to also not need a block

The Neo design incorporates the use of a riser block so that it would also be compatible with the Tacx Blacktrack T2420 steering unit that allows Tacx TTS users to steer the bike when riding in the virtual environments such as the Velodrome.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Makes more sense now. Ta.

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

Does anyone have any experience with the Tacx Neo - TrainerRoad combination using Bluetooth? Does it work as seamless as on the KICKR?

ms6073

by ms6073

As of the present, I am pretty sure Tacx's SmartTrainers only share Bluetooth compatibility with Tacx's Smartphone and Tablet apps.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

5peedy

by 5peedy

Bluetooth Smart / 4.0 works with third party apps.

For instance, Kinomap and Fulgaz both work flawlessly if I connect my Neo to an iPad.

ms6073

by ms6073

Well that is interesting. I had the impression that while Tacx readily extended ANT+ FE-C protocol functionality and support to all compatible Smart trainers, the company was not affording the same level of 'openness' with Bluetooth.
- Michael

5peedy

by 5peedy

Tacx released a firmware update (late last year I think) that allows developers to tunnel the ANT+ FE-C protocol over Bluetooth - A pretty neat idea.

I am not sure whether that makes it 100% 'open' but it has definitely improved things. In regard to the end user experience, I have zero complaints.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calleking

by calleking

Anyone know about disc brake compatibility with the Neo?

Read some on DCRainmakers review in the comment section and there were mixed reports. Some could use discs some could not depending on if the brake was mounted on seat or chainstay. Got a Jamis Renegade ordered and was hoping it would fit although it's not the end of the world if it doesn't.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm