small spacer above stem : required or not?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Delorre

by Delorre

Is there a consensus about this? A lot of people leave a small 5mm spacer above the stem, but is this really required? I prefer the looks of a just a flush topcap above the stem. OK, this doesn't leave any room to higher the stem afterwards if needed, but that's a choice to make :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xena
Banned

by xena

I think there was some kind of issue with Treks. You had to leave a spacer, warranty etc.
But otherwise go flush. Both my bikes are.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

Bogan

by Bogan

As long as the steerer extends past the top of the stem it should be ok. I assume we are referring to a carbon steerer. If the steerer does not extend past the top of the stem, you are risking cracking the steerer when you tighten up the stem. One of the weight weenie manufacturers, Tune or AX, manufacture a top cap that also acts as a spacer, about 2mm if I remember correctly.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

Delorre

by Delorre

Ok, 2 answers answers and both different. Good start :( We are talking carbon for clarity.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

If the 5 mm spacer is a visual problem for you, go with a 2.5 mm spacer.
KCNC makes one that practically dissapears. There are some others that make thin spacers.
Last edited by Stolichnaya on Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

The correct answer is - it depends.

It depends on the type of expander plug that is used. Some, and Cannondale is one example, use a long tight fitting plug that supports the steerer from the compression forces of the stem. In their case the instructions are to cut the steerer 2-3mm below the top of the stem.

If the plug is not doing anything to support the steerer this way, then a small spacer on top can make sense, for reasons already stated.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Wonderman

by Wonderman

Bogan wrote:As long as the steerer extends past the top of the stem it should be ok. I assume we are referring to a carbon steerer. If the steerer does not extend past the top of the stem, you are risking cracking the steerer when you tighten up the stem. One of the weight weenie manufacturers, Tune or AX, manufacture a top cap that also acts as a spacer, about 2mm if I remember correctly.

I was under the impression it was the other way around, the steerer should be just below the top line of the stem to allow the top cap to compress properly?

xena
Banned

by xena

Like this.

Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

glepore

by glepore

Bogan wrote:As long as the steerer extends past the top of the stem it should be ok.

If the steerer extends past the top of the stem, and you don't use a spacer, how do you preload the headset? :noidea:
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

mattr

by mattr

You use a spacer.

Poulidor

by Poulidor

If you don't ask, it would have never occurred to me to leave any space or spacer above the top of the stem. And unless someone convinces me with categorical arguments I never will. I see no reason for it and I think it looks butt ugly. I cut the steering tube flush with the top of the stem and that's it. Never a problem. Am I doing it wrong...???

mattr

by mattr

Yes, you are doing it wrong, if it's flush, you can't preload the headset properly.
And the discussions for and against leaving the steerer proud of the stem are already up there.

Bogan

by Bogan

Different opinions. Even the manufacturers differ. Enve say leave at least a mil of steerer above, Cervelo below. THM recommend 3mm of steerer above the stem with a 5mm spacer :?: Probably wise to check the manufacturers website.

If the steerer sticks above the stem, how do you preload without a spacer? You can't so, you use a spacer!
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

I've been using a 3mm carbon spacer I picked up at vcrc http://www.vcrcbike.com/Carbon_Headset_Spacers_s/99.htm

looks great and barely noticeable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wonderman

by Wonderman

Bogan wrote:Different opinions. Even the manufacturers differ. Enve say leave at least a mil of steerer above, Cervelo below. THM recommend 3mm of steerer above the stem with a 5mm spacer :?: Probably wise to check the manufacturers website.

If the steerer sticks above the stem, how do you preload without a spacer? You can't so, you use a spacer!

But do enve means to leave a mm of the steerer above and then a spacer? This would result in the steerer being below the who set up as I thought was right?