small spacer above stem : required or not?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Poulidor wrote:..., it would have never occurred to me to leave any space or spacer above the top of the stem. And unless someone convinces me with categorical arguments I never will.

Some might leave the steerer sticking out of the top of the stem a little ~2/3mm and then use a thin spacer above the stem. It means the whole of the stem binds onto the steerer, and some might think that this is 'preferable'.

kode54

by kode54

i've seen fork steerers crushed because of too much clamping of the stem or because the star nut is below the stem clamping area. i always use a torque wrench with carbon paste, but most shops do not. my friends fork was split due to too much clamping from the stem bolts...and the star nut was around the second clamping bolt. so again, it depends on what type of star nut you have as well. i have a 8mm spacer on top of one of my bikes while the other does not.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

:shock:
Never use a star nut with a carbon steerer.

rms13

by rms13

The correct answer is refer to your owner's manual because it varies from one manufacturer to another. My Easton manual said leave spacers above the stem, Cannondale said never leave spacers above the the stem

The argument to leave spacers above is that the stem is completely around steerer for integrity. The argument against (at least with Cannondale) is that the compression plug is adding extra reinforcement and by putting spacers above the stem, you are effectively positioning the stem so the compression plug doesn't extend to the bottom of the stem where the most force is being applied and therefore creating a weak spot where you need it reinforced.

But I would trust specific manufacturer's opinions (if they have a suggestion) since they have done R&D

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Isn't the difference in what you use to tighten it all up?

Or

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delorre

by Delorre

Thx all for the answers 8) To be honest, on my Canyon, I've been running without any expander and only with the hollow Canyon topcap without any issues for more than a year. Nothing exploded or something like that :lol: Currently, on the Addict, I still have the geniune Scott expander that provides a lot of support to the steerer. If I used that as definitive solution, I would cut the steerer 1 or 2 mm below stem and done. But the plan is to swith to an Extralight Ultrastar expander. Does that change anything? I could adjust it flush with the top of the steerer, providing some support, as with the current setup. Or am I wrong?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Delorre wrote:. But the plan is to swith to an Extralight Ultrastar expander. Does that change anything?

It will probably void the warranty, that is all.

Wonderman

by Wonderman

What about cutting the steerer in the first place would that void the warranty? In my dale user manual it says not to modify the fork in any way!

rms13

by rms13

Delorre wrote:Thx all for the answers 8) To be honest, on my Canyon, I've been running without any expander and only with the hollow Canyon topcap without any issues for more than a year. Nothing exploded or something like that :lol: Currently, on the Addict, I still have the geniune Scott expander that provides a lot of support to the steerer. If I used that as definitive solution, I would cut the steerer 1 or 2 mm below stem and done. But the plan is to swith to an Extralight Ultrastar expander. Does that change anything? I could adjust it flush with the top of the steerer, providing some support, as with the current setup. Or am I wrong?

With no expanded how are you preloading the headset?

Tau

by Tau

rms13 wrote:
Delorre wrote:Thx all for the answers 8) To be honest, on my Canyon, I've been running without any expander and only with the hollow Canyon topcap without any issues for more than a year.

It's Canyon's Acros I-Lock headset ?

Lähetetty minun D5803 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Delorre

by Delorre

rms13 wrote:
Delorre wrote:Thx all for the answers 8) To be honest, on my Canyon, I've been running without any expander and only with the hollow Canyon topcap without any issues for more than a year. Nothing exploded or something like that :lol: Currently, on the Addict, I still have the geniune Scott expander that provides a lot of support to the steerer. If I used that as definitive solution, I would cut the steerer 1 or 2 mm below stem and done. But the plan is to swith to an Extralight Ultrastar expander. Does that change anything? I could adjust it flush with the top of the steerer, providing some support, as with the current setup. Or am I wrong?

It had a Synchros I-lock, but ordered that flat topcap + expander from Canyon. I simply adjusted the headset, rode a few 100 miles, re-adjusted it slightly, and than simply removed the whole expander thing. Never loocked back at it 8)

glepore

by glepore

I honestly don't think its an issue so long as the top clamp bolt is a couple mm below the top of the steerer and you use a torque wrench on the bolts. I really like the little bontrager one for this application as you don't have to pull out the torque wrench and set it, its just like a hex key with a 4nm torque setting built in.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I'm a weight weenie. I cut my steerer as short as possible, use a 1-2mm bottom spacer, use a handlebar end cap wrapped with a bit of tape to fit, and put the removed expander and top-cap in my toolbox at home. Looked at from another angle, the weight saving could go to another spare tube.

A mate has followed suit. He's not a weight weenie, just a minimalist: he doesn't need the limit screw on his front deraileur after adjusting the length of his cable so that he never drops a chain, let alone a chain-catcher.
Less is more.

Poulidor

by Poulidor

mattr wrote:Yes, you are doing it wrong, if it's flush, you can't preload the headset properly.
And the discussions for and against leaving the steerer proud of the stem are already up there.

Most likely you are perfectly correct. However. I'm referring to King and Campagnolo headsets only. I have never, in at least over a decade and many miles and bicycles, had an issue with a stem/headset/steer tube installation. That said, it might be that I cut the top of the steer tube short enough from the top of the stem to make it work.

In any case, I'm pleased not to have had a problem because I don't like the look of spacers over the stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Poulidor wrote:
mattr wrote:Yes, you are doing it wrong, if it's flush, you can't preload the headset properly.
And the discussions for and against leaving the steerer proud of the stem are already up there.

Most likely you are perfectly correct. However. I'm referring to King and Campagnolo headsets only. I have never, in at least over a decade and many miles and bicycles, had an issue with a stem/headset/steer tube installation. That said, it might be that I cut the top of the steer tube short enough from the top of the stem to make it work.

In any case, I'm pleased not to have had a problem because I don't like the look of spacers over the stem.

The issue under discussion has nothing do do with the brand of headset being used. Please pay attention.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM