How to tell if you have cracked frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

Besides the visual inspection, can you tell by riding it?

My Scott felt loose in the rear today on the flats and even when I descend I hear some noise in the rear, like slight tearing sound.

Not sure if it's the farsport or my frame.. Hopefully it's the farsport.

I've had my frame about 3yrs now and I weight only 150lbs.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

i wouldn't ride it until the cause was identified/resolved

visual inspection and pushing/bending/twisting/etc. a required...

remove wheel, check qr, axle, spokes, hub, rim

check dropouts, stays, the whole frame

...just go over it all for any sign/feel of what could be the cause

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

I used the old trick of gently tapping the frame with a one penny pice, to confrim that my Specialized Tarmac frame had a crack. As soon as you tap the suspected area, the noise will change. You'll know what I mean, when you tap the frame.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would also check frame using a flashlight inside the the BB. Perhaps also take wheels off and pull with the hands to see if something seems to have more give than it should.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks guys.. i've ordered a small wired cam hopefully will come next week and then can check it out. i'll try tapping the penny trick as well. would that work the same on the farsport rims?

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Dismount the tire and do a visual inspection. Also take a flashlight to your frame and look at every square cm of it. Even places you don't think you need to look.
Also take the time to check your spoke tension.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Use a Campagnolo/Shimano/DT rear skewer and test if the problem persists.

Very likely is a flexy skewer.

addictR1

by addictR1

the skewer i have in the rear is from TUNE DC14. i've had them for over 2yrs now and never had that feel before.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Is it on your Scott Addict? My thought might be loose spokes, I have seen it on a bike, you have the FS wheels and it is possible

Scott
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

addictR1

by addictR1

Scott.. yup it's on my addict. i check for the spokes and they all seems to be in the same tension. so should be ok.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

an odd one is those bearings on the FS wheels do not last if you have their early ceramic. I had to lube mine (really easy to do), I have read about some failures. Might be a place to check as well
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

zappafile123

by zappafile123

merlinxlm wrote:I used the old trick of gently tapping the frame with a one penny pice, to confrim that my Specialized Tarmac frame had a crack. As soon as you tap the suspected area, the noise will change. You'll know what I mean, when you tap the frame.

hey, thanks for this tip - it really works! The seat post of my Oltre XR2 mysteriously cracked. If you tap the surrounding areas gently with a piece of metal, you hear a hollow, reverberant 'tonk'. Then when you hit the crack, the sound deadens, is way less reverberant and sounds 'flat' or more quiet. Totally different timbre. Perhaps an analogy to describe the sound of tapping on the cracked region is that it sounds like tapping on soft wood?
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I'm glad that you found it and that it wasn't the frame.

Also thank you for describing how well the procedure works. I've read the coin advice so often but never have come across a success story. How close do you have to get to the crack to find it?

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

zappafile123

by zappafile123

dmulligan wrote: How close do you have to get to the crack to find it?

You really have to hit right on top of the crack. Even just a cm or two to the side and it sounds normal. The other thing you have to do is to tap very gently otherwise you can miss it if you whack too hard.

One confounding factor might be paint. In this case Im just tapping on lacquered carbon (I have the graphite/celeste colourway 2014 XR2).

But yeah, this might be a great trick for distinguishing paint cracks from frame cracks if the phenomenon holds on painted surfaces.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

ok i've been tapping and tapping and rear frame seems ok. never been in crash before.. just over some pot holes here and there unfortunately.

for the FS wheel.. i noticed some spokes tension is soft and others are tight. the rear wheel is still true.. is that normal? what should the tension be at?