BMC Timemachine TMR01

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rumplex

by rumplex

Hey,

I'm seriously considering this to be my new bike. Are there any users out there? What's your opinion and experiences about it?
I think it is really fast but is it also comfortable and stiff? I live in the alps. So how does it feel when climbing a high mountain?

Any good/bad things about this bike is welcome.

Thanks

KarlC

by KarlC

Lots of good info and several owners of the TMR01 on this site, did you try a search ?

I love mine.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MC356

by MC356

I just got one!
I am going to build it up in the next few weeks and give you an update!
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

MC356

by MC356

BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Buddy has had one for a few months and is in the process of getting rid of it for a Caad10, to be replaced by a HiMod or Felt f1 next race season. Climbing, handling etc. were all sub par in his opinion. BB flex which caused the rear brake to rub, difficulties in keeping the brakes properly set up and made it difficult to switch between his carbon race wheels and aluminum trainers. He described it as a first generation aero bike which basically was a TT frame with minimal adjustments. Looks great, good bike for flat stages (though there are "faster" aero bikes now), but a sub par GC / all around bike.

*Info above is not first hand knowledge as I have never ridden one before, but taken from a friend who owns one.
Instagram @seanblurr

wentworth

by wentworth

Its a really fast bike. Being quite a weak rider I was able to maintain 40-42kmh quite easily on the straights. Weights quite a bit with Ultegra groupset and the stock rims at 7.4kgs.
Not much of a climbing bike. I found it to be quite stiff and uncomfortable.

KarlC

by KarlC

Do all bikes get sure varied opinions as the BMC TMR01 ?

- Some say it heavy, others say not so compared to other Aero bikes
- Some say it rides great, others its uncomfortable, others say tire choice and air pressure make the biggest differences.
- Some say its stiff and climbs better that most, others say its not a good climber.

All seem to agree that its very fast and the brakes can be a pain.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Best to see when team BMC uses it... I think most use the SLR01 Team Machine though. The TMR01 is very close to my TM01... So I'm sure it's fast
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Ive had one since June and have ridden over 3000km and climbed over 50000m on it since then, including 10 days in the Alps around Bourg saint Maurice, Saint Jean de M and Bourg d'Oisans. i LOOOOOOVE this bike!! It is fast and i think it feels awesome climbing on it. Its sooooo incredibly stiff both at the BB and the front end and fork that out of the saddle efforts feel amazing. with climbing wheels and DA Di2 mine weighs ~6.7kg, with 60mm wheels its 7.1kg. i have an uber light saddle on it which helps too.

As far as comfort goes i find it really comfortable. i only ride Tubulars which i find make a bigger difference to comfort than different frames do. my previous frame was a BMC GF01 Grand Fondo which is meant to be BMC most comfortable frame. the only really difference in comfort comes when i hit something really hard like a pot hole or a cattle grid. The rear triangle on the GF01 was designed to flex up to 10mm over cobbles and hard hits so it was noticeable softer in such circumstances compared to the TMR and most other frames. On fast descents on some of the bad surfaces on the alps maybe i could feel the roughness a bit more than i did last year on the GF01 but nothing that bothered me. I havent had a chance to race it yet nd that tends to be when i hit unseen potholes or hard bumps, but i cant see it being a significant problem.

The breaks on the TMR are really powerful but don't modulate as well as my previous Ciamillo Micros or Campy Chorus breaks but I've gotten used to them and quite like them now. If you know how to use allen keys then adjusting them is not difficult. It may take a little longer than on other bikes because you have to remove the front cowling (3 tiny bolts) to access the front breaks but this isn't exactly hard. it just takes 2 minuted longer. I installed the inline barrel adjuster for the rear break but not the front. I haven't needed to use the one i installed though. I have found that the breaks offer so much power that i set them up with new pads and then even when the pads have worn down (gone through 2 sets already!!) there is still enough power without bottoming out the break lever that i could easily lock up the wheels. So i basically don't feel the need to adjust them for pad wear. BMC have videos on how to set them up in the first place. I've found its pretty much set and forget. if you use wheels with significantly different brake track widths then you might need to adjust them in which case you would either remove the brake blocks and add or remove one of the washers or just turn the barrel adjusters to compensate.

Its not a light frame set but form me its well worth the aerodynamic benefits. As i said in another thread on here i took 48 seconds off my time up alpe d'huez this year even though the bike weighed the same as the GF01 last year (different wheels this year) and i was the same weight and my average and normalised power was the same. the only real differences this year were an the aero frame and an aero jersey. And i have climbed a local Cat2 climb faster numerous times now with the same or less power than i did on the GF01. Ive also set PBs on pretty much every local decent since getting the TMR. I think the GF01 was maybe a little smoother through the corners descending in the Alps but the TMR is just faster in between the corners. Other bikes may handle a little better but the handling on the TMR is good enough for me. Im no expert descender though.

All up, 99% of the time i cant tell a difference in comfort between the TMR01 and the GF01. The TMR01 is measurable faster (but we aren't talking a full kph faster) than than the GF01. Maybe the GF01 was a little smoother descending through tight corners but the aeros of the TMR trump that. Climbing at 4-500w during interval training i cant feel any flex from the BB or the front end, i could with the GF01.

My experience might not be the same as the next persons but i love climbing and i also love woking on my bikes and wheels.
If you want a superbly stiff frame with aero benefits and a unique (sexy) look and are happy with a few hundred grams weight penalty relative to some other bikes then go for the TMR. If you want standard breaks or sub 6.5kg, or jst want the best possible handling bike for descending in the alps all day every day bike then maybe look elsewhere.

Obviously i love the bike so my view will be somewhat biased. take it with grain of salt. hope this helps

KarlC

by KarlC

+100 on all of the above, its just a GREAT bike that has made me faster in all stages.

Plus I love looking at it, riding it and working on it.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

christiancarr

by christiancarr

Need an advice from TMR owners. Will the integrated brakes accept 28mm wide rims(Easton 55 Aero), or I´ll have to find narrower wheels?

Thanks!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

sometimes making a new thread would be better then adding to one 5+ years old.... especially when there is a new model out.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

mr4fox

by mr4fox

The brakes are not the problem. The front Works fine with 28s but there is not much space between a 28mm (Measured width...was actually a "25" schwalbe pro one tubeless) and the chainstays on my bike. So it caused rubbing on the carbon stay. 27mm (measured) might work ok though but I've almost always just run 25mm tubulars which measure 25mm.

Oh and when it's wet and buts of grit and tiny tiny rocks stick to the rubber you can hear it rub the seat tube.

But why would you need new wheels to run 25mm tyres?

Edit-- I just realized you asked about 28mm rims 🤦‍♂️... yeah they will probably be fine. Two sets of my carbon wheels are chines times with a max width if 28mm and I've never ever had an issue.

christiancarr

by christiancarr

Thanks for advice.
Yes, I am planning to use 25mm tyres on 28mm wide rims. Are you sure they will work on TMR01? I´ve checked manual and on page 16/70 you can see brake configuration chart- the widest rim is 26.5mm with 0.5mm spacers on each side.
Can it be configured without spacers?

https://manuall.co.uk/bmc-tmr01-timemac ... d-bicycle/

mr4fox

by mr4fox

not sure if they can be set up without spacers or not...sorry i cant remember and its midnight here so can check now. but, your 28mm rims - are they a toroidal profile? they probabøy arent 28mm at the brake trake...are they? ive never seen rim brake rims that wide at the brake trake. most that ive seen are closer to 25mm at the brake track and 28mm a few cm inwards from the outer edge of the brake track. thats part of what makes them torroidal and more stable in cross winds.

either way i think youll be fine. ive used swissstop blackrpince pads for the last 5 years. with new pads i have pretty minimal clearance but if the rims are straight then it works just. i get a little rubbing for the first 2-3 rides but i do a few descents with some hard braking and then theres is enough space. i have an inline barral adjsuter and using this set up i can use up the entire pad witout having to adjsut the cable lenght at the calipers. if youre worried about not enough space then jsut buy the swissstopp evo pads which are the same thing only thinner (less meat on them) specifically for wide rim wheels. ive never felt the need for this personally since with the normal thickness pads i get more braking life for the same money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com