Dura Ace 9000 next update?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

srshaw

by srshaw

I would say my roadbike with da 9000 rim brakes (admitedly alu rims. Ot carbon) works much better than my cross bike with shimano 105 and mechanical avid disk brakes.

I realise this is probably because da9000 is probably the pinnacle of rim brakes, and my other setup is quite budget (I think the real problem is the extended cable runs), but clearly rim brakes aren't always worse than disk brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

9100 will be wireless Di2 + hydraulic discs.

11000 will be 52/42 & 5 speed mechanical (cause who really needs all those gears and wires and batteries anyway?) down-tube shifters (non-indexed for iinfinite tunability mid-ride), brake cables exiting vertically from the brake levers for optimum brake line travel and calipers because they decided discs were not that good in the first place.

21000 will be wireless Di2 + hydraulic discs....

Jcgill

by Jcgill

rms13 wrote:
Grill wrote:
Jcgill wrote:What does everyone speculate will happen with rim brake frames if/when hydro discs take over on road bikes?
As stated by a previous poster there would need to be 4 different levers to work with all different setups...

Will shimano make a hydro rim caliper?
Or will all of our rim brake frames become paper weights?

What a joke. Rim brakes aren't going anywhere.

I haven't tried discs but I can't find a compelling reason to go away from rims on road bike

I agree 1000%!!!!!

I am only asking because i would like to build a custom titanium road bike and want rim brakes, as there is no reason for me to ever have discs on a road bike.
I just do not want to invest all that money in a frame if i cannot update to new components in a few years.....

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Stueys wrote:I didn't really get the point of hydro rim brakes to be honest. Thru axle seems to be converging on 12mm, which has taken some time but great. Can't see much reason to move from 135mm spacing though.

Combine with a rim with improved braking over machined aluminum like Hed's Turbine, or Mavic's Exalith, Campy/Fulcrum PEO, etc. and you're looking at some seriously good braking performance without resorting to any of the downsides with discs (also note, that chart is for a 160mm rotor, 140mm rotors are often specced on bikes). I'd gladly welcome hydraulic rim braking, easy to make them a lot more aero to boot.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

They could still have hydraulic rim brakes if minimizing inventory is a priority as strong demand for them will exist for sometime yet at the very least (5 years or more ) .

2 systems of brakes is still way easier to manage than 4 different shifter sets in my opinion.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Kinetic Energy recovery system. It's about time.

Bogan

by Bogan

Where does the recovered energy go? Into a motor? :twisted:
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Quite sure as a weightweenie, its NOT something you can live with though....

Horze

by Horze

I say leave the research to the professional companies. One way or another you'll be paying for that research.
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

coneill0422

by coneill0422

I will tell you, I just upgraded from Dura Ace 7900 to Dura Ace 9000. And other than going to Di2 was the best decision. The rear shifting didn't really change much from the previous version but the big ring shifting is incredible. With the 7900 I felt like I was actively pushing my chain into the bigger gear, with 9000 it feels like I am shifting my rear it is that quick, smooth and easy. They really got it right with this one. I don't know what they would improve on with the shifting, maybe better ergonomics or hydraulics and disk breaks (which I find no need for if you have Dura Ace breaks and good carbon wheels and pads).

Rick

by Rick

I am all for making things "better", but the truth is that in 40+ years of bike riding I have never really even once thought "Gee...I wish my brakes were stronger."
And I live in an area where there are lots of high speed mountain descents (and ascents).

There have been LOTS of time I have wished I had more gears, or that my bike was lighter, etc.

So if "improved" brakes come out, I would probably get some; but they better not be any heavier, and they are so low on my list of priorities that I never even think about them.

F45

by F45

DA mechanical could improve on a few things.

Reduce weight and better aesthetics with a carbon crank. Offer a BB386 option.

Change the cassette design to something more durable.

Change the shifter design so cable pull is linear, not having to go through a bend then curve around a drum.

Update the road wheelsets to full carbon clincher with wider rims.

Then tweak the aesthetics so it looks newer. Think 7800-->7900, not a huge revision.

Horze

by Horze

9000 is fine as is. It's precisely this sort of fiddling to 7800 which resulted in the abomination of 7900.

9000 is a fine group as it is.

Let Shimano decide for themselves what's to be done next. Not some pro-amateurs giving their "expert" opinion based on their paltry one dimensional experience.
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, that cable eating shifter design certainly needs a tweak or two as a minimum. Maybe if Shimano hears that enough times they'll do something about it. If they hear nothing, they won't.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I think with Di2's extraordinary precision there ought to be enough room on the freehub for another gear. A 11-28 close-ratio 12-speed cluster will put Dura Ace at the top again!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com