Dura Ace 9000 next update?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HTML

by HTML

Horze wrote:This isn't a frigging request thread.

Horze wrote:I say leave the research to the professional companies. One way or another you'll be paying for that research

Horze wrote:9000 is fine as is. It's precisely this sort of fiddling to 7800 which resulted in the abomination of 7900.

9000 is a fine group as it is.

Let Shimano decide for themselves what's to be done next. Not some pro-amateurs giving their "expert" opinion based on their paltry one dimensional experience.

Shimano should take on board all the feedback they can get from their user base. That's if.... they really want to put out a great product that's better than the last. DA9000 is a fine group as of now but it still has some niggles. Everything can be improved upon. Any criticisms,opinions or requests from its users should be taken on board fully and is ultimately what could/will make Shimano's in-house design team work harder. You can't really get much better feedback than non paid customers. Who use and experience their products everyday across the globe. Shimano should develop what people want,not what they think people want. Hopefully they are reading this thread.

i would like to see

grippy texture hoods like Di2,softer rubber,more comfort,less prone to tearing
Even less lever travel to actuate the shifts
12-30 cassette with a short cage mech
wider rims
less grams
no 12 speed
no more carbon
Last edited by HTML on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

Horze wrote:Let Shimano decide for themselves what's to be done next. Not some pro-amateurs giving their "expert" opinion based on their paltry one dimensional experience.

Sorry, I guess I mistook this for a discussion forum.

Horze

by Horze

Totally unnecessary here giving your own personal 2 cents worth of advice or feature requests. There is significant testing in the pro ranks and like it or not that feedback is what drives the product development.

There has been a foray of end-user requests such as with clincher wheels, laminate rims, carbon cranks and these products usually end up being a disaster.

Bear in mind the other major groupo manufacturers drive more of the competition than end-user Billy would like to think. Billy likes to believe that the product was made for Billy's sole purpose. Not!
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

F45

by F45

Horze, I think you're confusing me with someone who cares what you think.

HTML

by HTML

Horze wrote:Totally unnecessary here giving your own personal 2 cents worth of advice or feature requests. There is significant testing in the pro ranks and like it or not that feedback is what drives the product development.

There has been a foray of end-user requests such as with clincher wheels, laminate rims, carbon cranks and these products usually end up being a disaster.

Bear in mind the other major groupo manufacturers drive more of the competition than end-user Billy would like to think. Billy likes to believe that the product was made for Billy's sole purpose. Not!

So anybodys opinion who isn't a pro, isn't worth anything ? when most of the sales are to non pro's ? You never know who could be reading this. Im sure the people who work at Shimano browse the internet from time to time. And occasionally land on a cycling enthusiast forum. There is nothing wrong with putting it out there. If they were truly interested in feedback the first place they should look should be the web.

Any problems you read about Shimano wheels will be exagerated and misrepresented. When you sell at the scale Shimano do (probably millions of units per year) there are bound to be a few that develop problems. You don't hear about all the wheels that are fine.

i suspect the reason they don't currently make carbon cranks or mechs is to differentiate themselves from the competition and also because of the fact that black carbon isn't very visually appealing. Shiny polished metal is far more eye catching. Im sure they could bang out some carbon cranks if they really wanted. They have no problems developing a carbon component range with their PRO parts.

i agree Sram and Campagnolo have forced Shimano to take note,sit up and improve. I think more competition is healthy. With the new groups coming from FSA,Rotor and Sram things are going to get interesting. I doubt though that all the man hours,time,work and money they put into new products is purely for one-upmanship over some comparatively small brands that are taking only 10% of the marketshare away annualy. i would hope to think are genuinely just trying to make better bike components for people.

Horze

by Horze

HTML wrote:.

So anybodys opinion who isn't a pro, isn't worth anything ? when most of the sales are to non pro's ? You never know

That's not what I said.

Please stop arguing with me. Go away.
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I've heard from an influential near-by shop with connection to shimano that they're currently working on a wireless groupset. I have to think that this is getting the lion share of their attention.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

albertop07

by albertop07

Built in power meter?

austke

by austke

Shimano have better than the 9000. It's called 9070.
Other than Wireless. I don't think they need to worry too much. Maybe Carbon cranks?
But it's already a top notch product. I personally prefer it to my EPS. I think!! :)
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

maxxevv

by maxxevv

fromtrektocolnago wrote:I've heard from an influential near-by shop with connection to shimano that they're currently working on a wireless groupset. I have to think that this is getting the lion share of their attention.

The only truly 'connected' near-by shop owner/operator that I've come across ( on these boards) is Madcow , practically all of the rest are just hot air. Until he speaks, I'll consider the rest with a big teaspoon of salt ....

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The long-awaited Shimano cycling computer? I'm pretty much fed up with my Garmin 510 connectivity issues...

Stammer

by Stammer

Im using Red 22, but will definitely buy the next gen DA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peted76

by peted76

rms13 wrote:I haven't tried discs but I can't find a compelling reason to go away from rims on road bike

Anyone with similar feelings obviously hasn't been riding downhill on unknown country roads on a wet cold winters day in Britain then.

I'm not saying it happens all the time, but I reckon on a monthly basis last winter I frightened myself, wishing and hoping my rim brakes would slow me down quicker and cursing myself for not being more careful in the wet.

That's my compelling reason.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

9000's only real weakness is the design of the cassettes and the old cable chewing STI's. the rest of it is really nice and works super well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HTML

by HTML

I've had multiple hoods tear when pealing them back to reach the clamp bolt. That's my only gripe. They are just not as durable as 7900.
My 9000 cassette has been fine for 4000+ miles.

I've experienced 1 polymer shift cable (left) snap at the head after 2k miles. I think that was a problem with the polymer cables myself and not the shifters as reported. Aftermarket cables i installed have been fine since.