What's the biggest tire you can fit in your bike ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Don't have images but I have Conti 25mm tubs on my F8 [size500] and clearance between the top of the tyre and rear brake caliper and bridge is a bit tight. Safe to ride but if I pick up a stone or whatever it crunches/gouges the underside of the caliber, not ideal. On the other hand my 23mm Schwable one's are just nice.

Steve
BB

Coffee & carbon

sokre

by sokre

Rush wrote:It seems that the Continental GP4000S II 28mm tire is slightly larger than the Continental GP 4 seasons 28 mm tire. My clearances has gone from a few millimetres to literally one millimetre. Rim is HED C2 Belgium.

I rode 60 km this morning and besides the noise of the tire moulding nodules rubbing on my fork bridge, there were no apparent adverse side effects.

However I've been told by a cycling friend that tire carcasses can stretch over time. I've got about one millimetre of clearance under the fork bridge and one millimetre behind the seat post. So its a tire height issue as opposed to width.

Has anyone else experience tire carcass stretch over time? I've never noticed it but I've never run with such a narrow clearance before. I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with debilitating tyre rub.

I have both and measured them roughly.
4 seasons 28c are true 28c and come at 28mm on my Fulcrum 5 LG CX wheelset (this is new wider rim)
4000 S II 28c are massive at 31mm on same wheelset

Thats why I now have a pair of brand new 4000 S II Contis sitting in a box.
I had to remove front brake to fit the tires (rear fit just barely), and I can say I felt as if I put front suspension on my road steel Ciocc.

Anyway, can someone tell me clearance on Canyon Ultimate F10 carbon frame?
I was told 25c tyres fit, but was wondering if there is a chance 28c 4 seasons could too?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Birdman

by Birdman

Cervelo R3 MUD with regular brake caliper. Fits and reaches just fine.

Ultegra 6800 brake calipers. With brake pads at the end of the slots.
Continental Grand Prix 4000sII 28mm, measures at over 31mm
Stans Alpha 340 rim

Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

russianbear

by russianbear

My Noah has clearance for 30mm I believe. I had 27mm Paves (on skinny rims) in there with plenty of room to spare front and back. Chorus brakes also have clearance or up to 30mm.

Birdman

by Birdman

russianbear wrote:My Noah has clearance for 30mm I believe. I had 27mm Paves (on skinny rims) in there with plenty of room to spare front and back. Chorus brakes also have clearance or up to 30mm.

Pictures please! :)
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Birdman wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:16 am
2014 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc

Clement LAS tubular 33c, measured at 33.59 mm

It almost clear the rear... It touches slightly on one side of the chain stay. So maybe just 30c~32c max for the rear on this bike

I wish I would have seen this post earlier. I picked up a 50cm Domane Disc 6 series for my wife for a steal! Unfortunately, I can't use it for the intended purpose (gravel). D'oh!

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

sokre wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:21 pm
Rush wrote:It seems that the Continental GP4000S II 28mm tire is slightly larger than the Continental GP 4 seasons 28 mm tire. My clearances has gone from a few millimetres to literally one millimetre. Rim is HED C2 Belgium.

I rode 60 km this morning and besides the noise of the tire moulding nodules rubbing on my fork bridge, there were no apparent adverse side effects.

However I've been told by a cycling friend that tire carcasses can stretch over time. I've got about one millimetre of clearance under the fork bridge and one millimetre behind the seat post. So its a tire height issue as opposed to width.

Has anyone else experience tire carcass stretch over time? I've never noticed it but I've never run with such a narrow clearance before. I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with debilitating tyre rub.
I have both and measured them roughly.
4 seasons 28c are true 28c and come at 28mm on my Fulcrum 5 LG CX wheelset (this is new wider rim)
4000 S II 28c are massive at 31mm on same wheelset

Thats why I now have a pair of brand new 4000 S II Contis sitting in a box.
I had to remove front brake to fit the tires (rear fit just barely), and I can say I felt as if I put front suspension on my road steel Ciocc.

Anyway, can someone tell me clearance on Canyon Ultimate F10 carbon frame?
I was told 25c tyres fit, but was wondering if there is a chance 28c 4 seasons could too?
I’ve got an Ultimate CF SL 9.0, the F10 frame you ask about. With 17c inner width rims, I can fit tyres that measure about 28.5mm - 29mm across but the issue is generally the height of the tyre. Case in point, Vittoria Rubino g+ and Corsa G+ in 28c fit, as do Schwalbe One 28c. Pirelli P Zero Velo 4S in 28C start to rub the brake caliper ever so slightly due to how tall they are and I don’t like the profile on the rim. They fit between the chain stays though, even on my XS frame. The Ultegra brake calipers seem to be the limiting factor, I believe the 105 calipers are slightly more forgiving. Saying that, I find on my rims, 25c tyres are comfortable enough, with a nice profile and feel spritely.