Latex tubes, failures.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I have been running latex tubes, but I have two tubes fail, one had a cracking affect and lost air, but was sitting in direct sunlight in the 28c heat.

One went bang while descending.

Has the happened because my Campag Bullet wheelset don't use rim tape, they are sealed but are plastic lined.

So I have heard the latex can rub and that is what causes a fail.

Any advice?

Luke

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I didn't have that much bad luck with latex but I still gave up on them. Not much, if any weight savings over an 85g tube and you have to pump them up for every ride. I ride at lunch mostly with my bike stored in my car so pumping up every ride is a just one more thing to do.

Also, I was changing a tire (not a flat) and my latex tube was severely deformed and stretched. It didn't give me a lot of confidence to use it again.

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

Powder the heck out of the inside of the tire before installing the tube. That's what I do and it seems to have worked well. No latex tube failures yet. *knock on wood*

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have had a few failures but these have been mostly down to the tube being drag round the rim under hard braking. Or that is the only way I can explain. Pumping up tyres before every ride is something I do with butyl tubes. I still use latex. I can't say the problems I have had have been off putting as I find I puncture less with latex.

I have tried talc before the last failure it did not help. Had to jam the brakes on in a race to avoid a crash which I did but the hiss happened and my shoe fell apart. Race over.

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I will change to Supersonic butyl tubes, 50g so same weight as a latex tube, more reliable but not bullet proof. I am more thinking on the lines of rolling resistance, and the saving, but can't be having tubes go for no reason and rapid deflating.

Thanks

PLuKE

by PLuKE

Thanks guys.

I am thinking the tubes are rubbing and finding sharper parts on the plastic rim inside, like I said. I rim tape. No heavy braking done either.

Luke

sanrensho

by sanrensho

The last two latex failures I had were this season, from gashes in the tire and the tube popping. Both tires unusable, latex tubes patched and running fine.

Before that I effectively went two seasons without a flat on latex tubes.

Horze

by Horze

PLuKE wrote:.

Luke

Dear, I'd be keen to learn how you managed to recover the ride from this while descending?
Usually latex tubes deflate rapidly when they fail with a *bang*
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

xena
Banned

by xena

I use the Supersonic's -50grms with Veloflex master tyres, very good. Roll very well. No issues whatsoever
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

bm0p700f wrote:I have had a few failures but these have been mostly down to the tube being drag round the rim under hard braking. Or that is the only way I can explain. Pumping up tyres before every ride is something I do with butyl tubes. I still use latex. I can't say the problems I have had have been off putting as I find I puncture less with latex.

I have tried talc before the last failure it did not help. Had to jam the brakes on in a race to avoid a crash which I did but the hiss happened and my shoe fell apart. Race over.

What pressure are you running that tires are rotating on the rim under hard braking?

PLuKE

by PLuKE

Horze wrote:
PLuKE wrote:.

Luke

Dear, I'd be keen to learn how you managed to recover the ride from this while descending?
Usually latex tubes deflate rapidly when they fail with a *bang*

I was going under some trees, and didn't have a clue what it was, then a nice wobble from the rear, and slowed down, could of turned out nasty, if it was that front wheel then surely a crash!

mattr

by mattr

WannabeWeenie wrote:
bm0p700f wrote:I have had a few failures but these have been mostly down to the tube being drag round the rim under hard braking. Or that is the only way I can explain. Pumping up tyres before every ride is something I do with butyl tubes. I still use latex. I can't say the problems I have had have been off putting as I find I puncture less with latex.

What pressure are you running that tires are rotating on the rim under hard braking?
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132987&start=30

Don't worry, according to spookyload it's against the laws of physics. :roll:

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I've been using latex tubes for 2 seasons now and I'm very happy with them. Never pinched one installing them and the only flats I've had were debris going through the tire (glass, staple, etc). In those cases I was able to patch and re-use the tubes.
Speedplay is the devil!

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

My only issue with latex tube failures is buying a few and when I needed to use them, they were worn out. As in worthless. I guess I should have put them in the refrigerator or something.

MikeDee

by MikeDee

I used a pair for a couple of months. Replaced them with butyl because I was going on a tour and didn't want to pump them up everyday. They were deformed and I'm not sure they are safe to use again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com