Latex tubes, failures.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The other advantage of latex when I puncture there is no rapid deflation it normally happens quite slowly. I have patched many punctured latex tubes they all look a bit deformed when you pull them out they all work fine when re fitted. I puncture more often with butyl tubes.

dj97223

by dj97223

Inflating a latex tube when not installed often leads to a "balloon animal" look. I suspect that stretching weakens those areas and may make them more susceptible to punctures.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Butcher wrote:My only issue with latex tube failures is buying a few and when I needed to use them, they were worn out. As in worthless. I guess I should have put them in the refrigerator or something.

??? Is there something in your air? Ozone?

I have some that are 8 years old and I'm still using them. Those are old thick Vreds without pigment. I've had some Challenge go bad (discolored, distorted, lose elasticity) after a couple years of being used, but no issues with Vittoria, Bontrager, or Michelin.

Now that I think about it, the Challenge tubes that went bad might have overheated. I was in the habit of racing down switchbacks then, which I no longer do.
formerly rruff...

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

As I said in another latex post I have had several latex tubes go to spontaneous rupture and rapid air loss without explanation. Then I switch to Conti supersonic tubes. Better than the latex but several also ruptured without cause. Now I'm using Conti Race Lites (80g.) with zero issues.

Today I climbed and descended on Pikes Peak. I'm glad I wasn't running on latex. There isn't much air at 14,000' so my brakes got a heavy workout. The rims got very hot but zero tube issues.

TonyM

by TonyM

Use Latex tubes for almost 30 years. No problems! excellent rolling characteristics and less punctures than friends with butyl.
Repair these also and re-use these for training purposes.
Only using Butyl with my carbon rims.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I wish I knew, but some of them were cracked, none of them I would inflate. They were Michelin but I doubt if that was the cause. Seattle is not too hot or too cold. Maybe aliens.

Either way, I have used latex tubes for several years and I never had an issue as long as they were mounted on the wheel.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

pdlpsher1 wrote:As I said in another latex post I have had several latex tubes go to spontaneous rupture and rapid air loss without explanation. Then I switch to Conti supersonic tubes. Better than the latex but several also ruptured without cause. Now I'm using Conti Race Lites (80g.) with zero issues.

Something is wrong with your installation procedure.
formerly rruff...

F45

by F45

What if my latex tube had been used for hundreds of miles when it exploded?

Horze

by Horze

Please fellows. Don't bring your bedroom activities into the forum where there may be women and children reading the topics.

That or we may have to have a cleanup in isle six.
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

WMW wrote:Something is wrong with your installation procedure.

No it's not. Latex is junk.

by 11.4

I've been running into a somewhat peculiar problem recently with Vredestein latex tubes under Veloflex open tubulars. They install fine, never flat, never blow, but they gradually start to lose pressure faster in the rear -- like losing 50-60 psi overnight vs 20 psi in the front tire. Always the rear, and there's no apparent leak in the tubes when water-tested. I've found the valves tend to work loose in Vredestein valve stems and need to be tightened after riding for 1/2 to 1 turn, but that only happens in the front. It's a very slow leak (again, no bubbles in a water test) and tightening the valve stems still doesn't stop the problem. There are slight and very shallow cuts on the spoke side of the tubes, but I'm using Hed Belgiums with Velox rim strips. Spoke holes are well covered. And never had an actual flat in (knock on wood) many thousands of kilometers.

So ... any ideas? Anyone suggest a rim strip that fits Hed Belgiums better? It's the best Idea I've had so far.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

pdlpsher1 wrote:
WMW wrote:Something is wrong with your installation procedure.

No it's not. Latex is junk.

I'm with Ron here. Never had a latex tube spontaneously erupt, come to think of it, when I've had a puncture, my latex tubes have been able to hold low pressure.
Speedplay is the devil!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

11.4 wrote:I've been running into a somewhat peculiar problem recently with Vredestein latex tubes under Veloflex open tubulars. They install fine, never flat, never blow, but they gradually start to lose pressure faster in the rear -- like losing 50-60 psi overnight vs 20 psi in the front tire. Always the rear, and there's no apparent leak in the tubes when water-tested. I've found the valves tend to work loose in Vredestein valve stems and need to be tightened after riding for 1/2 to 1 turn, but that only happens in the front. It's a very slow leak (again, no bubbles in a water test) and tightening the valve stems still doesn't stop the problem. There are slight and very shallow cuts on the spoke side of the tubes, but I'm using Hed Belgiums with Velox rim strips. Spoke holes are well covered. And never had an actual flat in (knock on wood) many thousands of kilometers.

So ... any ideas? Anyone suggest a rim strip that fits Hed Belgiums better? It's the best Idea I've had so far.

Wonder if the tube might be creeping up just a bit between the bead and the rim? Just a thought. Don't know how you really test for that however. Presume it's done this on more than just one tube? Wonder if there's maybe a very fine piece of wire that is in your tire (from the steel belts of car and truck tires that sometimes get left on the roads), that has worked it's way in just enough that you can't really feel it when rubbing your fingers along it, but when inflated it protrudes just enough to cause a tiny hole and slowly leak? Have you tried a completely new tire and tube on the rear, just to rule out both tire and tube, in which case it would have to be something with the rim, rim strip, or interface between the tire bead and the rim I would think. Latex can find its way into the smallest of openings it seems. Curious problem however. If you figure it out post a followup.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

rmerka

by rmerka

I've had a cut tire where the latex tube squeezed out of the cut and popped, with an audible pop, where the butyl spare tube held just fine. The cut was caused by very rough pavement on an extremely steep but short descent. I think it all depends on the situation...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I really like the Panaracer R'Air tubes. Have been really durable and don't need pumping up every day.
I get them from Ribble for a descent price.