Latex tubes, failures.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

DeLuz wrote:I really like the Panaracer R'Air tubes. Have been really durable and don't need pumping up every day.
I get them from Ribble for a descent price.

They are no better than standard 'light' butyl tubes.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... acer-r-air

Currently I'm using Conti Race 28 Light and no issues at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

10 grams weight reduction is preferable to 0.8 watts. They are about $10 cheaper per tube than latex. It's like Conti is paying you to lighten your bike. Conti light wins.

Edit: ˅˅˅ that really is the perfect end to "yet another latex discussion" thread :twinkle:
Last edited by rmerka on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horze

by Horze

7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

by 11.4

Calnago wrote:Wonder if the tube might be creeping up just a bit between the bead and the rim? Just a thought. Don't know how you really test for that however. Presume it's done this on more than just one tube? Wonder if there's maybe a very fine piece of wire that is in your tire (from the steel belts of car and truck tires that sometimes get left on the roads), that has worked it's way in just enough that you can't really feel it when rubbing your fingers along it, but when inflated it protrudes just enough to cause a tiny hole and slowly leak? Have you tried a completely new tire and tube on the rear, just to rule out both tire and tube, in which case it would have to be something with the rim, rim strip, or interface between the tire bead and the rim I would think. Latex can find its way into the smallest of openings it seems. Curious problem however. If you figure it out post a followup.

I've changed tires, rim tapes, everything. And the tires never flat, they just lose pressure slowly, so I can deflate them and confirm there's nothing trapped under the bead. I haven't used other latex tubes yet but these are nice tubes and I never had a problem previously. This is like chasing a creaking noise in a frame.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

rmerka wrote:10 grams weight reduction is preferable to 0.8 watts. They are about $10 cheaper per tube than latex. It's like Conti is paying you to lighten your bike. Conti light wins.

Edit: ˅˅˅ that really is the perfect end to "yet another latex discussion" thread :twinkle:

Panaracer R'Air Presta 48mm 66g

Conti Race light Presta 42mm 74g

Price is about the same, Panaracer is lighter and I have had very few flats with them, no more than a standard butyl tube and they are seamless.

rtarh2o

by rtarh2o

I have been wondering the same thing, or if it is just bad luck.
I have been running latex tubes (Vittoria) and Veloflex tires for about 2 years now.
I made the switch to 25's about a year ago and haven't had any problems at all until about a month ago.
I was on a ride, smooth pavement, didn't hit anything and I heard a hissing, a few seconds later my rear tire was flat.
Put my spare butyl tube in and finished my ride, about 10 seconds after I got home, literally just as I was dismounting I heard the same hissing and the front tire went flat, again, didn't hit anything just standing there.
My assumption was there is just a lifespan of latex, maybe the seams don't hold up over time?
I haven't gone to the trouble to see where the leak was coming from, I did check the tire and rim for any sharp objects and found none, I installed fresh latex tubes and so far they are fine, will wait about a year and see what happens.
Rusty

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

rtarh2o wrote:I haven't gone to the trouble to see where the leak was coming from.

You are making wrong assumptions without information. First thing I do is determine what caused the flat. Try to determine where the hole is and line it up with the rim and tire.

Seams don't fail if the tube is properly installed. There is virtually no stress on the tube so long as its container is intact.
formerly rruff...

by 11.4

WMW wrote:
rtarh2o wrote:I haven't gone to the trouble to see where the leak was coming from.

You are making wrong assumptions without information. First thing I do is determine what caused the flat. Try to determine where the hole is and line it up with the rim and tire.

Seams don't fail if the tube is properly installed. There is virtually no stress on the tube so long as its container is intact.

In the cases I was citing I didn't have a full flat and didn't have a hole that could be located by water immersion. On close inspection, as mentioned, I did have some very slight cuts on the spoke side of the tube, but nothing that leaked. I couldn't say whether the cuts were just manufacturing marks in the original tubes or were caused by use, since all my Vredestein tubes have now been in use and all show the marks. If they were originally present on the tubes, they couldn't have been responsible for the air leakage because I didn't have air leakage until perhaps 800-1000 kilometers. As I said, I've ridden these tire and tube combinations for many years without a problem. I'm suspecting a defective run of tubes, but hate to lay blame on a product when it isn't a widespread phenomenon with some statistical validity.

rtarh2o

by rtarh2o

WMW wrote:

All I can say is I could not find anything on the rim or tire that caused the flat, the replacement tube now has about 500 miles on it without a puncture.
Both tubes were the exact same age, gave out within 30 minutes of each other for no visible reason, my assumption was a bad seam but it could be something else, exactly what I am not sure but possibly as stated it could have been a defective batch of tubes with a seam problem?

I will try immersing the tubes to see if I can get to the bottom of this, my curiosity is peaked now!
The reason I posted this was to see if latex tubes do have a limited life span or if it was just a fluke thing?

Nice to know that whatever the reason it is not a common problem, my question for the most part is answered, I have had bad batches of butyl tubes where they leaked from the valve stem, could be a similar thing.
Rusty