2015 Cervelo R5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fastfwd

by Fastfwd

Found a deal on a Dura Ace spec R5 and I'm really tempted to go over budget on it. I'm not sure if it is an allowed topic, but can anyone comment on what sort of discounts are typical if at all for outgoing year model bikes in this price range - specifically Cervelo possibly? This bike retails for $7,500.

I'm pretty well settled on the R5 and I might regret asking, but is there anything I should be giving another look at before making this a done deal? Looks like the 2016 R5 will be carried over exactly as is from 2015. I wasn't a big fan of the paint scheme at first, but it has grown on me a little. It's noticeably different for sure. I like the red better than the R3 white I think maybe.

The Dura Ace bike was not even in consideration, but now that I got such a deal offered on it I'm taking more notice of the rest of the upgraded components it gets over the Ultegra spec R5. The bike in question is in stock and the deal makes it $1k difference to the best deal they can do on an Ultegra spec bike.

I'm a tad apprehensive knowing that disc brake is the next thing, but I believe it will take a few years for it to really get perfected. I have a mechanical disc brake bike now and I actually love it, but it is rather relatively heavy. I don't believe I'm interested in the new R3 disc bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stueys

by Stueys

Can't answer your questions on discounts but I've got a '14 R5 and you won't be disappointed with the bike, it's a stunning piece of kit. It's one of the few bikes that manage to blend stiffness, compliance, light weight and a good hint of aero into one package. I had DA9000 on the bike which I upgraded a couple of months back to DI2. Save some budget for some wheels, or maybe throw that into the negotiations, the standard spec ones aren't great.

Re disc brakes I wouldn't leap yet. I've got hydro discs on my wet bike and think we will see a slow migration over to discs but we are probably a couple of years away from that. It's only now looking as if we are moving towards a QR standard and the wheel choice is still very limited. It's probably coming but it wouldn't impact my nice bike choices this year or next.

mimason

by mimason

15-20% off or more would be fair. I would not do it for 10% off personally.

uraqt

by uraqt

So,

Be 100% sure it's a Cervelo dealer, there is a great copy floating around : )

That said, I am a Cervelo fan boy, and I think that the R5 is going to go down as one of the greatest carbon bikes in history. Many people say that the R3SL is on that list now and I have ridden both and the 14/15/16 R5 is just as good if not better.

About the brakes, modern rim brakes are good enough, they have been stopping bikes for decades and they will keep on stopping bikes for decades. Disc brake is the next big thing, and if you have to had the next big thing then wait, but as it stands now the trade off between rim and disc are still favor rim. IMO

C

Fastfwd

by Fastfwd

I know the wheel selection for discs is still a little lacking from my experience and what is available is maybe more expensive because of that idk. Not trying to start a debate about custom building wheels for disc brakes or anything. Just my observation based on looking to upgrade my wheels on my current bike.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I wouldn't begin to consider it for only 10% off. They have one in my size (51) that is probably not a more popular size and are willing to deal on it. I called around my region and nobody I talked to would back off retail period. Everyone quoted me retail over the phone. They would have to order one and I'm sure that makes some difference. I was told there were no more 2015 51 bikes available to order.

I'm sure better deals have been made, but from the other dealers I spoke to the price they are giving me would be about what a lower volume dealer would pay themselves. I wouldn't expect any dealer to take a loss and provide any kind of fitting, etc. I'm probably not going to benefit from the after sale service they offer because I'm buying from out of state - so, not much value in that for me on this deal.

After much deliberation on it I do believe the R5 is the bike I'm looking for. There might be others out there that would be a fit for what I'm looking for, but I'm feeling pretty confident that I've given the field of contenders a pretty fair assessment and settled in on the bike that makes spending that kind of money the right choice for me anyway. It is still an absurd amount of money for a bike. I keep thinking of all of the downsides to having a bike of this caliber and the worry of theft, etc. I hope that I can enjoy it enough that it outweighs the negatives.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Indeed, you would not be disappointed. But I completely understand your hesitation, it is a lot of money.

Why not consider an R3? Such a substantial price difference for a small difference in weight and stiffness. But, if not, *f##k* it. You only live once, enjoy it and budget elsewhere where reasonable.

In my experience, I had a super hard time finding a dealer who would discount any cervelo bike. But perhaps that was just my area. I was able to land a 10% discount on mine and jumped right on it.

I too ride a 51 and had to buy out of state (none in stock direct at cervelo and none in any of the surrounding states that would have made for a reasonable drive). So I bought a few states away and have it shipped, which was nice actually because I didn't have to pay tax.

srshaw

by srshaw

Given that the 2015 is identical to the 16, I'm not sure they'll lose value the same if it was replaced by a newer model.

I happen to really like the paint, never been a fan of the matte black look that is so common, and certainly agree it is worth the extra over the ultegra, you get a better groupset, chain set and wheels.

BRM

by BRM

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:

In my experience, I had a super hard time finding a dealer who would discount any cervelo bike. But perhaps that was just my area. I was able to land a 10% discount on mine and jumped right on it.

10% is the normal reduction retailers can give you in this industry. Its a standard reduction.

Cervelo is a company that tries to protect their niche market and forbid retailers to advertise or sell their stuff for lower prices.
I dont like the policy of Cervelo and I dont like all their marketing lies. I never would buy or recommend a Cervelo, they are an overhyped brand, they are just as Apple. Live by marketing nonsense. Still people trap in it.

Don't be an idiot an skip this overhyped brand, with idiotic prices and idiot policies and idiot marketing.

uraqt

by uraqt

Really, BRM??

Can you provide an example or two of where they lied? I feel that Cervelo is more accurate and detailed in the information they provide about their bikes and the design decisions they make. Or even better please provide a bike company that you think provides more facts about their bikes and the design decisions they make.

C

PS Apple has spent way less in marketing than most companies it's competing against. It's just that their products are better than anything else so anything Apple does is news... and most people assume that news is marketing ...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ycharts/201 ... -quantity/

53x12

by 53x12

BRM wrote:
arizonahalfnhalf wrote:

10% is the normal reduction retailers can give you in this industry. Its a standard reduction.

Cervelo is a company that tries to protect their niche market and forbid retailers to advertise or sell their stuff for lower prices.
I dont like the policy of Cervelo and I dont like all their marketing lies. I never would buy or recommend a Cervelo, they are an overhyped brand, they are just as Apple. Live by marketing nonsense. Still people trap in it.

Don't be an idiot an skip this overhyped brand, with idiotic prices and idiot policies and idiot marketing.

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

euan

by euan

Thats my new favourite meme.

xena
Banned

by xena

why not go for a old R3sl ... super light and made before they got the production line rolling. Bargain.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

davetung

by davetung

After having owned a Cervelo S5 for 3+ years, I share the same sentiment regarding Cervelo as above poster BRM. With that being said, if you can get a good deal on R5 and it makes you happy, you should go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinozee

by tinozee

Get a 2016 Evo DA for 5K. Then take 2k and get enve wheels. Take 500 left and buy J Crew card for wife.