New Cipollini

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

laspariahs

by laspariahs

Thats one pretty bike, but from the sounds of it I'll just look at it in the pictures.

tinozee

by tinozee

I like the look of the Cipo bikes as well. The marketing campaign is gaudy (the bejewelled show bike is really gross), and also Mario doing James Bond is dumb. It does not match the tech aesthetic design of the frames. They would do better to focus more on some of the athletes and teams using the bikes I think. And over time if they make more profit they could iron out the issues with customer service and quality control. I would love to see them get bigger, see prices come down and quality go up. How about an aluminum aero frame marked at 1K to get into amateur race market?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

+1
I would also like to see the brand growing bigger but without loosing its values and identity. Handmade in Europe is really rare nowadays. Very few of those (small) companies will survive. For example Time is to be bought by Rossignol group, hopefully their handmade in France and top quality will not get lost in tranlation.

@KWalker
Cipollini USA dealers:
http://cipolliniusa.com/dealers/
not enough?

What true monocoque is:

KWalker

by KWalker

Yah, that's a pretty pathetic dealer selection since a few of them don't actually stock any frames.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

kgt wrote:+1
I would also like to see the brand growing bigger but without loosing its values and identity.
Its values and identity? Like not responding to webform inquiries from people looking to buy a bike? Like not responding to a guy (cipollini bond seatpost clamp) who is trying to buy a seatpost collar for his bike? Like being so arrogant as to treat customers and prospective customers like dirt?

I can only hope that Cipo grows bigger, but without losing these values and identity.

kgt

by kgt

@HammerTime2
a. That's not the norm. I never had any issues communicating with my Cipo dealer or the Cipo hq through their site, their facebook page etc. Their response was always prompt.
b. Keeping production in Europe is a much more important value for me.

@KWalker
That's because the production is low. Small companies cannot have the stock to fill every dealer's shop obviously.

michel2

by michel2

tinozee wrote: How about an aluminum aero frame marked at 1K to get into amateur race market?

mario will make peace with the italian tax department before he comes up with something afordable.

last thing before i go quite....
mario is no frame builder, he is a posser, always has been and now he is trying to cash on it, and thats fine i have no beef with that but i think anyone who doesn't take he sales brochure with lots of salt is a bitt naive.
i was in the market for expensive carbon i would go see old mate ernesto, he is a frame builder, and he employs them to, or go see cradock carbon, they'll be keen to answer your call and they dont come up with badly designed seat post clamps.....

kgt

by kgt

Mario is a poser and a legendary cyclist at the same time. He never promoted himself as a frame builder.
Cipollini (the company) belongs to a group of 100% made in Italy companies like Giordana, DMT, and Alé(?) owned by Federico and Philippe Zecchetto. I guess Cipo has his share as well.

michel2 has never ridden a Cipollini obviously but he 'knows' that seatpost clamps are badly designed... ok

KWalker

by KWalker

Its easy to know they're badly design since the issues with the clamp, cracking, and paint defects have been noted on this board (one rider going through 3 defective frames) and other road forums.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

kgt

by kgt

Sure, but that's one rider. You won't really find more than this on the internet.
Have you ever googled 'Cervelo frame crack' or 'Trek frame crack'?

KWalker

by KWalker

Yes, other brands crack, but are less frequent and not impossible to deal with for warranty claims. Cippo has been known to be slow and hard to communicate with, which is why the breadth of their dealer network and inventory on a continent matters. Even Time are easier to deal with in the U.S. and are a niche brand as well.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

kgt

by kgt

Kwalker you can just say 'I don't like Cipollini frames'. It's fine.
There's no need coming up with a constructed story about frames cracking, impossible warranty claims etc. etc.

KWalker

by KWalker

I said above I think they're beautifully painted and finished. I want to like them, but I find it hard to want to purchase one based on what has been discussed on this and other threads.

Go read Vlad's thread. Google a bit, its out there. They've been dropped by 3 US dealers in the past year after issues. I was going to buy one used from a former dealer, who advised me to steer clear. A friend at a current dealer, who if you really care I can provide via PM, has noted that they're in the process of dropping the brand again, for everything from delays in communication/shipping to eventual QC issues.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

kgt

by kgt

Ok, that's your story and I accept it.
But I ride one, more than a year now, I have friends - very experienced riders - that also ride Cipollinis and we are all excited with our frames. I have also discussed a lot with my dealer (I can also give you contact details) who adviced me to buy a Cipollini among other, big brands (Cervelo, Bianchi, Specialized etc.) he imports.

So it's not that I have not read vlastrada's story (which is practically the only one appearing online) or I don't believe what your friend or a former dealer said to you. I just can't see why you generalize it and make such a campaign against Cipollini and all that in a thread which is about the new Cipollini NK1K.

cymans

by cymans

Good words KGT, and as it happens i'm just in the process of building my new Cipo bond camo.
Trying to keep it an all Italian build with SR EPS, but the wheels could be from Berk !

PS....the cipo rides like nothing i have had before :-)

Cyman.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com